Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 09:00am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If he's quiet he might get to stay in the gym. No way he stays at the table.
This. There is no way he should stay at the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee33 View Post
does happen probably but should that be the case on a varsity level i wouldnt allow it honestly
Under what grounds would you not allow it? We don't get to vet the table personnel. If they're being a problem, have them replaced otherwise why trouble trouble?
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
does happen probably but should that be the case on a varsity level i wouldnt allow it honestly
How are you going to not allow it?

First, how would you possibly even know (without asking) if the scorer is the parent of a team member? Then what? You go seek out game management to tell them that you want the scorer removed from the table?

Curious as to why you would even think going down that road?

Talk about looking for trouble.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 09:14am
Always Carded Ref

quizzing

Its not a quiz by far plus there is nothing to study or no multiple choice if you were an opposing coach would you want the star players dad from the other team keeping the offcial book just my opinion and say that because its only one official book correct
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 09:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Its not a quiz by far plus there is nothing to study or no multiple choice if you were an opposing coach would you want the star players dad from the other team keeping the offcial book just my opinion and say that because its only one official book correct
1. It happens all the time, even at the varsity level, for a few reasons.
a. Some schools just can't get any volunteers that don't have some connection to the team.
b. They don't really care.
c. Does it really matter if it's the guy's son, nephew, grandson, or daughter's boyfriend on the team?

2. There's also a visitor's book at the table to match up with. If it becomes clear that the home scorer is cooking the books, toss him and switch books.

3. I have never, ever, had a problem.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Commas, periods, and capitalization are your friends - got no idea what you're saying here. Sorry.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 09:50am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Deal with improper score keeping when it happens. The visitor's should be keeping their own book, especially at the varsity level. Cases of intentional cheating by the scorer are probably so rare that if they were a steak, it'd still be alive.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you want to take it that far, would the opposing coach even want someone from the home school working the table? How about someone from the surrounding area that might have some ties with the school?

There's a reason both books are located at the table near enough other and that officials will make sure both books are matching w/their information at the end of quarters. There's also a reason that the rules gives the officials the authority to designate the other book as the official or remove the old scorer IF that issue arrises. But I would say that at the varsity level, scorers, no matter their allegiances, tend to be pretty professional in carrying out their duties.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 11:29am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
You have no say in who the school hires to do their table duties...unless/until there is a problem like the one in the OP.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
At one school I used to work regularly, the scorer's husband was the AC and eventually the HC. Once when he was still an AC, I gave a stern warning to the HC about his assistant's behavior. At the end of the quarter when I came to the table, she told me her husband deserved that warning...LOL
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 01:15pm
beware big brother

About 5 years ago or so, we had an official give the home team a technical foul because the official scorer waved him off and told him his call was terrible while reporting a foul. Partners tried to talk him out of calling the foul and told him that official scorer is not part of either team and cannot be charged with a T. He refused to listen and ended up having to T the home team coach as well. Needless to say, that was the last HS game that guy ever worked.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm telling game mgmt we need a new scorer, and I'm asking game mgmt to have him removed from the gym.
This. He doesn't get "rewarded" by being able to watch the game now. He gets to leave the facility.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 02:14pm
We don't rent pigs

Have had a significant incident with a scorer one time in 28 years. First call I made against the home team when I went to report it she was squawking about the call just like everybody else in the bleachers around her. I'm not a finger in the face kind of guy normally, but it was called for here. I got really close and cut her off in mid-sentence. "Lady, you are not going to sit at this table and call the game. Do you understand that?" She turned six shades of red and spent the rest of the night apologizing to me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 02:49pm
Always Carded Ref

Great

Wow I see the peanut gallery has arrived its amazing how some can bash others based solely on their opinions when you have your own as the old saying goes to each its own
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow I see the peanut gallery has arrived its amazing how some can bash others based solely on their opinions when you have your own as the old saying goes to each its own
This is a discussion board that hinges on discussing opinions amongst other things. If you give your opinion, then you should know fully well that you open up yourself to others critiquing your opinion.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 03:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Opinions aren't necessary equal. And punctuation would certainly help your presentation.
Closed Thread