The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 09:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You tell me. Is it possible to make a call 40 feet across the court which is 6 feet in front of your partner while the other 8 players between you and the matchup mind their own business?
I thought the goal was to get the right call regardless of WHERE the call is made.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

This is a timely post. I had a partner last night that I have worked with before, but mostly small school varsity stuff and we haven't had any issues. Last night in a tournament we get a 5A school (largest class) against a 3A school, and they're right next to each other so the place is packed.

There were three or four times where he reached really far out of his area to get stuff right in front of me. They were mostly when I was the Lead and there would be a play either right on the block or even outside the lane right in front of me. At one point a V player gets fouled by a H player on the block on my side and as I put my hand up, he is stopping the clock and starting to call a travel. We get together and I tell him we are going with my foul since the play was in my area. He would also talk to coaches entirely too much when they complained about a foul call, including turning his back to me to talk to the coach on the other end when we were about to shoot free throws.

He also never instructed the timer to start the clock for the replacement interval when a player was DQ'd. He would go notify the coach of the player's fifth foul, then proceed to stand there and have a discussion with him about the merits of the fifth foul instead of asking for a sub. About the third time this happened, the other coach asked me what we were waiting on. I just kind of shrugged and looked at the other end of the court.

I have to work with him at least two more times, so I'm going to hold off on saying anything until I can slip some of this stuff into a pregame and hopefully get the point across in a tactful way.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 11:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Funny you mentioned the clock after a DQ foul. I was watching a game a few years ago where one of the officials did the same thing. On the second player fouling out, one of his crew mates walked over and started the clock over him. I could tell he was pissed, too.

The lesson is easy. If the coach wants to complain about the call, he does it WITH THE CLOCK RUNNING. Coach, that's 5 on 24. Timer: GO. Can't complain much in 5 seconds, can he?
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 05:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
We get together and I tell him we are going with my foul since the play was in my area.
Assuming that this was a double whistle, this is how the conversation would go between me, and my partner:

Me: I saw your travel, but he traveled because he got fouled first.
Partner: OK. The foul came first. Go report your foul.

Or:

Me: What did you have, because I've got a foul?
Partner: I saw him travel right before he got clobbered.
Me. OK. The travel came first. Go ahead and signal your travel violation.

If we can't acknowledge the other official's call, or if we can't decide which call came first, then we're discussing who had the best look, which would probably be the official who had the play occur in his primary coverage area.

That's the way we handle double whistles here in my little corner of Connecticut, but, as usual, when in Rome ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I thought the goal was to get the right call regardless of WHERE the call is made.
In our area, where all Varsity officials are expected to come early and evaluate the sub-varsity officials, such a call, as in the OP, will be a topic of the evaluation, and definitely in a negative manner.
This year, I've opened my early afternoons to work more sub-varsity games w/newer, younger officials, at the request of our assignor. Last week, late in a game with a first year,/first HS game official, he made such a call, and the call was wrong. I addressed the situation by saying, "You would have to do something really terrible to upset me, as a partner, which this was not. You may have 99 good call/no-call's in a game and the one - "across the key, out-of-your-area, on-top-of-your-partner" call will be the only thing the evaluator will focus on."
The local mind-set is that to make such a call, it must be a sportsmanship or safety issue, or a game-saver, and/or crew-saver.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 12:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Your "confusion" is making me laugh.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 01:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
In our area, where all Varsity officials are expected to come early and evaluate the sub-varsity officials, such a call, as in the OP, will be a topic of the evaluation, and definitely in a negative manner.
This year, I've opened my early afternoons to work more sub-varsity games w/newer, younger officials, at the request of our assignor. Last week, late in a game with a first year,/first HS game official, he made such a call, and the call was wrong. I addressed the situation by saying, "You would have to do something really terrible to upset me, as a partner, which this was not. You may have 99 good call/no-call's in a game and the one - "across the key, out-of-your-area, on-top-of-your-partner" call will be the only thing the evaluator will focus on."
The local mind-set is that to make such a call, it must be a sportsmanship or safety issue, or a game-saver, and/or crew-saver.
Oh, I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 01:37pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I was afraid Adam had been hacked, or had an evil twin.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

2nd Year Official doing Boys Varsity? WOW!

This post got me thinking...HOW rare is it that a 2nd Year Official could even be ready for a Varsity contest?

Example:

Rarer than a four leaf clover?
Richland, WA
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 02:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post

This post got me thinking...HOW rare is it that a 2nd Year Official could even be ready for a Varsity contest?

Example:

Rarer than a four leaf clover?
Sometimes people think they're ready when they're really not. What's odd about that is that you don't really know that you're not ready then until you are...sometimes years later.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sometimes people think they're ready when they're really not. What's odd about that is that you don't really know that you're not ready then until you are...sometimes years later.
True...

and I believe if you get that call to do Varsity...

you had better be ready.

If you are not ready (rules knowledge, court presence, mechanics, etc.) it can really hurt your advancement. You may get there eventually...but, it usually slows down your climb compared to if you were more prepared to start with.

Moral of Story: Be Patient! Be Prepared! Be Ready!
Richland, WA
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here in my neck of the woods we put first year officials in varsity contests...when I say "we" I mean my pool of course of which I have zero input in decisions.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
Here in my neck of the woods we put first year officials in varsity contests...when I say "we" I mean my pool of course of which I have zero input in decisions.
No way they are ready!!
Richland, WA
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No way they are ready!!
Understand that in some necks of the woods, there are varsity games that are perfect for newer officials to learn to be veteran officials. Especially outside of district play when games are sometimes 70-13.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 11:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I was afraid Adam had been hacked, or had an evil twin.
I am often my own evil twin.