The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Do you ever consider the color

Of the shirt or jacket you wear to your regular job that day so that it doesnt match either primary color of the school you a reffing that night?
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 02:55pm
We don't rent pigs

no

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Never, but I am aware of anything I wear with a basketball-related logo. As an example: I won't show up to work an NAIA game wearing a shirt with the logo of an NCAA (or NJCAA) conference on it.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I used to in previous states where we would arrive during the JV game to watch but in my new pool we work the JV game and then the Varsity so I get there before the kids do on most nights...plus I don't know any of the schools yet so I have no idea what color I am about to see!
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 03:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My coats are all neutral colors anyway, but no one pays attention to that stuff here. As long as you aren't wearing that school's logo on your coat, you should be fine.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes.

It depends on the game and the specific color.

If the shirt is a more neutral color such as grey, navy, tan, while, black, etc., then no. If the shirt is a brighter color such as red, yellow, or a brighter blue, then yes, I'll avoid it if it matches one of the teams and not the other. No need to give the appearance of being connected with one team.

I don't wear useless jackets. I only wear my winter jacket/coat and while I get a new one every few years, I don't tend to pick bright colors.

It also depends on the game.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 07:30pm.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 03:38pm
beware big brother

I have a shirt with Calvin from the comic strip, Calvin and Hobbs, pissing on the mascot of every HS I have ever worked. Each morning I decide which of the teams I like least and wear the shirt with Calvin pissing on their mascot. I especially enjoy the times when the team I like least happens to be the home team!
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 03:59pm
Esteemed Participant

To some, this topic might seem like a weird question, but...when my sons were in HS and playing other small schools around the PNW, we drove to a tournament in the state directly to our south. About half-time of the game before "ours", two guys walked in with sport bags/suitcases. Both were wearing jackets with the name of the host school and FOOTBALL on the pocket area of the jacket. Turns out those were the two refs for "our" game that night. Needless to say, it did not go well.

So no, I don't plan my wardrobe around school colors. But I do make sure that I am not wearing anything with any school logo on it - whether it is one of the schools playing, the school I teach at, the school my kids went to, etc., etc.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

I just make sure I'm not wearing my Minnesota Vikings jacket when I officiate in Wisconsin.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 04:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

No, but I'm color blind and don't think much about colors anyway.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 05:35pm
Official & Member

Kinda funny that this topic came up. I had a Saturday HS game (kinda rare) two weeks ago. Normally, on weekdays I come right from work (always in a tie). This particular Saturday, I put on a pair of khakis and grabbed a royal blue golf shirt. I checked my schedule after getting dressed to confirm the time, and realized the Visitors school colors were the exact shade of blue I was wearing...so...I changed shirts. I doubt it would have been an issue, but why give anybody any ammo. I have a zillion golf shirts...went with a red Nike one instead.

So, yes, I did consider color in this case.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Nope. I am a colourful guy. All of my shirts are loud. I wear a uniform all day everyday so when I dress up that is how I express myself. If I happen to wear a colour that matches the team one night ( happened recently at a college game) then it happens.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 02:15am
AremRed

I wear a white dress shirt to games. I have yet to hear someone imply I am rooting for the home team.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 11:03am
TODO: creative title here

To be honest, I've never thought about it, but I will say this: when it's 10 below zero (like it will be on Friday night up here) NOBODY cares what color your coat is. Warmth trumps fashion.

As for shirts, as long as you don't have a school logo on your shirt (even if it's not one of the schools you're officiating that day, it's probably not a great idea to wear a shirt from another school in their conference, for example), you'll be fine. This is not a problem for me, as I don't have any school-logo shirts, except for a few old college sweatshirts that I don't wear in public anymore.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 11:22am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
To be honest, I've never thought about it, but I will say this: when it's 10 below zero (like it will be on Friday night up here) NOBODY cares what color your coat is. Warmth trumps fashion...
I'm not understanding what this means...