The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Different color socks.

Worked my last boys V game of the year last Friday. New crew for all 3 of us. The R made two home players change socks before the game. It was Sr. Night and they they were wearng one green and one gold. At the time I wasn't sure, but is there a rule that prohibits that? I'm not remembering any prohibition by rule to this. What say you esteemed colleagues?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

There are no rules governing socks.

Each player may wear a different color. In fact, one player may wear a different color (or even rainbow colored) on each foot.

The R had no authority to require them to change socks.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 08:27am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Sorta like "Go put a belt on those sansabelts!"
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Gosh, I hope the FED doesn't monitor this forum - that's all they need is another stupid fashion idea for us to unnecessarily police!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Gosh, I hope the FED doesn't monitor this forum - that's all they need is another stupid fashion idea for us to unnecessarily police!
Rainbow socks are illegal in soccer.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Not that I would call this, espeacially on Senior night but just to give a little back up to the guy that called it. I suppose you could back this up with this rule if he considered the different color socks confusing to the apponant.

Rule 3: Players, Substitutes and Equipment
Section 5: Team Member’s Equipment, Apparel
Article 1

Art. 1... The referee shall not permit any team member to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgment, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

That was a popular item in our area all year - generally with the girls teams - he different color socks.

Our play was to follow the "spirit of the rules" and look for uniform CONFORMITY. We then said that all players on the team go multi-colored or none do. We didn't want a select few to do it and stand out or "draw attention to themselves".

That got us a policy in the regular season and brought the issue to coach's and players attention.

The correct response to the issue does remain open in my mind
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Worked my last boys V game of the year last Friday. New crew for all 3 of us. The R made two home players change socks before the game. It was Sr. Night and they they were wearng one green and one gold. At the time I wasn't sure, but is there a rule that prohibits that? I'm not remembering any prohibition by rule to this. What say you esteemed colleagues?

I have never liked the look. When I have seen it, I think it was only two guys dislaying their comradeship for one another. I have wondered if that had any measurable effect on team morale.
I think it's a coaching problem.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter
Not that I would call this, espeacially on Senior night but just to give a little back up to the guy that called it. I suppose you could back this up with this rule if he considered the different color socks confusing to the apponant.

Article 1
Art. 1... The referee shall not permit any team member to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgment, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate.
No, not in a million years could you never back up making players change their socks by using this rule. It is just not relevant in any way. Socks are dangerous or confusing? Oh my! And there's nowayinheck you can say that they're not appropriate when other players are wearing them.

Don't be a plumber.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
Our play was to follow the "spirit of the rules" and look for uniform CONFORMITY. We then said that all players on the team go multi-colored or none do. We didn't want a select few to do it and stand out or "draw attention to themselves".
The problem is that the NFHS rulesmakers have already designated what parts of the uniform must be...well.... uniform. And none of the rules that they put in apply to shorts, socks, shoes, color of knee braces, etc., etc. Geeze, did you try and make 'em all wear the same color shoes too? Die their hair all the same color? If not, whatinthe heck is the difference?

Let the leagues and/or state worry about this crap. It just ain't our problem and it also has absolutely nuthin' to do with us. Your association is just sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong.

Lah me........
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I see nothing wrong with the socks. Had a BV game earlier this year that had a player wearing one white shoe and one black shoe. I had to laugh a bit because it made me think of the video on traveling we have to watch every year.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I am always amazed that a guy on a team loses one sock from each of two different colored pairs, and another guy on the same team also loses one sock sock from two colored pairs that just happen, coincidentally, to be opposites. Incredible!!
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:24pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter

Article 1

jcarter:

I do not mean to be mean and sarcastic, but NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Do NOT, i repeat do NOT go there. I do NOT care if a player wants to go without socks (like Mike Tyson) while the rest of the team is wearing socks. This rule does NOT apply.

Have a good season.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Orange Shoes

A few years ago I had a game in which a player, the point guard, wore bright orange basketball shoes. Although he was an outstanding player, he was called for several travel violations in the game. On the way out of the gymnasium, after the game, we bumped into the head coach. We suggested that any player, especially a point guard, doesn't want to have any extra attention called to his feet, and the bright orange shoes were certainly attention grabbing. The next game for the same team, the point guard had switched to white shoes.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 01:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Wouldn't you know it. Senior night at a private HS for GV I did tonight. Had a girl wearing different color socks. Thought never even crossed my mine that this was illegal. Just thought it looked pretty ugly, especially considering she wasn't even wearing the school colors (Patriots: blue and red). She had a black sock and a white sock. And grey sneaks. Even in my color-blindedness I was offended by the blandness of the combination.