The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I need to know what are the NFL Rules regarding home and away colors.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 02:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by billkeil
I need to know what are the NFL Rules regarding home and away colors.
I do not think there is a specific rule. As long as both teams are wearing different colors I do not think it matters. One appears it must be a white jersey. The other has to be dark. I am sure that the home team decides. The Cowboys have been wearing their white jerseys at home for years.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Unless the rule has changed, the home team gets their choice. Most teams choose to wear their dark jerseys at home, with the visitors wearing white.

This is how the Cowboys are almost always in white. Thewy choose to wear whiute at home and most of their opponents wear solid colors at home. At one time, there were those teams that would choose white at home, to force the Cowboys to wear the blue jerseys, which the 'boys reportedly thought were unlucky.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 05:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

About those Cowboys

The Eagles come to mind. They would constantly have them in those dark uniforms when in Philadelphia.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Each team has to send in to the league office what they're wearing (jersey) for each home game before the season. Buffalo would alter their uniforms and go all blue at home last year. I think Seattle did the same.

Washington used to make Dallas wear blue as well.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Bucs of old and new

The Bucs had the idea that they would be white at home and force teams to wear the colored jersey in the heat of Tampa. This is back when the Bucs were the GREAT team in the 80's.....

Obviously, it was an idea the players did not hold very well. Or maybe the sub=par players they had did well, just not NFL caliber.

When the bucs changed from the creamsicle unis, they felt the "power" came from the scarlett shirts and pewter pants. Just gave Crayola 2 new colors, and a change in attitude from the Bucs

Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

It was definitely a rule in the past and probably still is today. In the 1980 NFC Championship game Dick Vermeil said to his Iggles (in referring to the Cowboys)...

"We're even going to make them wear their BLUE jerseys"

Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

I had always wondered what the rule in the NFL was for uniforms. It's just so much simpler in the NHL. LOL! Oldest rule: Home wears dark, visitor wears white (because the home team should look "best"). Old rule: Home wears white (or light if you play in Boston), visitor wears dark jersey (that way all of the fans could see the different colors in the league). New rule (because of the alternate "3rd" jerseys that can only be worn by the home team): Home wears dark, visitor wears white (that way they don't have to bring both uniforms--two jerseys, two sets of socks, two helmets--in case the home teams decides it's not wearing white and goes with their alternate).

But I think the NFL has it down: Submit to the league before the season starts what you will wear at your home games. That's quite reasonable when you've only got 8 games in the regular season.

-Craig
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Playoffs...

Interesting rule for the playoffs...

If the home team chooses dark jerseys, the road team can also wear dark jerseys if they are of a contrasting color. Example... The Chiefs could wear red and the Broncos could wear blue.

I've never seen it actually happen though.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

The Dolphins actually vary their home jersey depending on the time of the game. Daylight they wear teal (or orange on 1 game), while for the home night games they wear white.
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Back in the early 60's (for those of us who remember) the NFL required the home team to wear white and visitors their colored jerseys in order to add 'color' to the game. We never saw our team colors at home.