The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

I was reading rule 3-4 and it seems that there is no requirement that all team members wear the same color uniform pants. There is reference to a "team jersey" which indicates to me that the shirts must all be the same, but other than the logo size restriction and saying that the shorts must be worn above the hips, very little is said about the game pants.
I guess an official could rule that a team wearing different colored shorts was confusing to the other team and cite 3-5 for not allowing them.
Would you guys allow a team wearing blue shirts to have players wear both blue shorts and red shorts, if the other team was dressed in all white?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Would you guys allow a team wearing blue shirts to have players wear both blue shorts and red shorts, if the other team was dressed in all white?
Sure...heck, they could even wear pants or skirts for all I care! Let um' play.

Dude

Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Our MS programs in my county have virtually no budget, so they practice and play on a very reduced schedule (3 days per week for both practices and games, 6 week season with only 8 games). The schools have t-shirt style jerseys (also used for soccer and softball!) and do not supply shorts. You will see all kinds of things out there on most teams. Looks like dog doo, but if they can get the same color jerseys and unique numbers, let em play!
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Our MS programs in my county have virtually no budget, so they practice and play on a very reduced schedule (3 days per week for both practices and games, 6 week season with only 8 games). The schools have t-shirt style jerseys (also used for soccer and softball!) and do not supply shorts. You will see all kinds of things out there on most teams. Looks like dog doo, but if they can get the same color jerseys and unique numbers, let em play!
You have middle school teams in your county?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

They had cancelled all MS sports (in the 80s I believe - before I moved to the area) and restored them a few years back. A couple of MS travel leagues formed due to an absence of school competition (and HS coach complaints about players that weren't ready!). I am in Montgomery County, MD. Frederick County plays a very full schedule (they started practice a month ago and will play thru Feb - about 20 games plus tourneys). Howard County has no MS sports. So in MD, there is no consistency from county to county. And I think that N. VA has nothing in the schools, but I am not certain.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Budgets will probably get worse before they get better in Youth/School sports....Some schools may only provide Shirts and not shorts/skirts.....Let the kids play!

AK ref SE
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
They had cancelled all MS sports (in the 80s I believe - before I moved to the area) and restored them a few years back. A couple of MS travel leagues formed due to an absence of school competition (and HS coach complaints about players that weren't ready!). I am in Montgomery County, MD. Frederick County plays a very full schedule (they started practice a month ago and will play thru Feb - about 20 games plus tourneys). Howard County has no MS sports. So in MD, there is no consistency from county to county. And I think that N. VA has nothing in the schools, but I am not certain.
Hawks Coach: Actually northern VA, Fairfax, Alexandria, and Prince William counties have a very extensive MS program. I have worked these quite often because I can leave work early and do a MS game and then go do a JV or Varsity game later. The MS games start around 2:00 - 2:30 and pay $50.00 for a 1-man game. 95% of the games are 2-man.