The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 01, 2013, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Do I have any recourse?

Other team is called for a foul on my guy around the area between the elbow and the three point line near our basket. About 30 seconds left, we're down 3, and I call timeout. I ask the ref where the spot is, and he says underneath. I draw up a play, and when we break the huddle a different ref sets the spot throw in on the side. I complain that the other ref said it was underneath, and that's where I drew up my play for. The guy administering the throw-in, said no, it's here. I didn't get the spot changed, and I didn't want to use my last timeout, so we just went with it on the side.

I think I know the answer, but there's nothing I can do to get the spot set underneath is there? Is it the official that calls the foul that sets the spot? Can he be overruled by another official?

I always ask one of the refs where it's coming in. Do I need to start asking are you sure?

Thanks.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2013, 12:20am
Stubborn Member

The calling official should be the one deciding where the ball is to be thrown in, as he/she decided where the foul happened.

However, I can see the official making the call, and messing up where the throw-in should be. In this case, I'm betting the calling official told his partner where the foul occurred, and the partner told him the throw-in should be on the side... not on the baseline.

From how you describe it, the throw-in being on the sideline is right. The ball would only be thrown in on the baseline if the foul occurred in the lane, in the semi-circle, or in one of the triangles on either side of the lane (created by drawing a line from the elbow to the nearest corner).

The problem here is that the official should have let you know that the spot of the throw-in was being changed.

I guess the only way to avoid this from possibly happening in the future is to know the rule, and ask "are you sure, as the rule states that...?".

That sucks... sorry.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2013, 12:22am
AremRed

I would find the original official who told you where the spot would be. If he is sure, he should make sure that the administering official puts the throw-in at the correct spot. If he told you one spot and his partner changed it, he should have let you know.

I would not suggest asking an official is he is sure.

I would suggest memorizing this so you can immediately know where the throw-in should be based on where the foul/violation occurred:

Disclaimer: in those areas near the dividing line, the throw-in spot may vary. Ask the administering official.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2013, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys - that's helpful. By the way, the official that told me the spot was underneath was ready to give it to us underneath when he was overruled. So, I give him a pass for not telling me the spot had changed. He found out the same time I did. lol.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2013, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
Thanks guys - that's helpful. By the way, the official that told me the spot was underneath was ready to give it to us underneath when he was overruled. So, I give him a pass for not telling me the spot had changed. He found out the same time I did. lol.
In theory the spot really didn't change. You were given incorrect information (I know, semantics). As was said earlier, the calling official - or the official closest to the play when a TO is granted - designates the spot. When in doubt, that's the one to ask.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Dec 02, 2013, 07:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

And Nobody's Going To Steal The Ball ...

IAABO mechanics dictate that the administering official will stand at the spot of the throwin, holding the ball in such a manner, left side, right side, in front, or behind, to show the direction of the ensuing throwin. In cases where the officials need get together to discus something, we have been encouraged to leave the ball at the spot of the throwin.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 02, 2013, 07:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fixed It, Your Legal People Will Thank Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
The Rocket Ship Diagram © 2009, Back In The Saddle
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Dec 02, 2013, 08:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

This situation is unfortunate.

I'm a stickler for designating the proper spot. We had a backcourt violation right off the opening tip the other night and I called it (I was the R). It was clearly on my side of the court and I designated the spot. For some unknown reason, my partner went to the same spot on the other side of the court -- I moved him and he seemed a bit put off / confused (I really couldn't tell which).

First thing we do as a crew after a timeout is communicate the inbounds spot to each other so all 2/3 of us are on the same page.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2013, 12:40pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO mechanics dictate that the administering official will stand at the spot of the throwin, holding the ball in such a manner, left side, right side, in front, or behind, to show the direction of the ensuing throwin. In cases where the officials need get together to discus something, we have been encouraged to leave the ball at the spot of the throwin.
There it is.

Coach Bill, look for the official holding the ball during the time out. He SHOULD be at the designated spot, or end line (if there is no designated spot). If the spot is on the bench's sideline, he should be parallel with partner, facing the spot. If you don't believe that official is adhering to this mechanic, I'd ask BOTH officials.

And, thanks for reminding us why it's so important to stick with these mechanics.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2013, 06:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

There's No "I" In Mechanics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Coach Bill: Thanks for reminding us why it's so important to stick with these mechanics.
Proper mechanics are our friend. Proper mechanics are everybody's friend: coaches, players, fans, table crew, the police officer in the corner of the gymnasium. Well? Maybe not the police officer in the corner of the gymnasium?