The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 08:15am
C'mon man!!

Seat belt coach!!

How do you politely and effectively remind a coach they have now lost the coaches' box after a technical foul. What verbiage do you use and when is the best time to say something and who should do it?
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

"Coach, I know you know this, but I'm required to remind you that you have to sit for the rest of the game."
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 09:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
How do you politely and effectively remind a coach they have now lost the coaches' box after a technical foul. What verbiage do you use and when is the best time to say something and who should do it?
If I'm closest to the bench afterwards, I like to give them to the end of the 2nd free throw, then I tell them they need to take a seat. If I called the T and I've gone opposite table (which I always do when I 'T' up a coach) and my partner doesn't do it by then, then I will say out loud "please tell the coach he needs to be seated."
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 09:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If I'm closest to the bench afterwards, I like to give them to the end of the 2nd free throw, then I tell them they need to take a seat. If I called the T and I've gone opposite table (which I always do when I 'T' up a coach) and my partner doesn't do it by then, then I will say out loud "please tell the coach he needs to be seated."
This.

If I whack a coach, I'm nowhere near him for the "seat belt" conversation. And if I'm being the good partner and asking the coach to have a seat, I'm not going in guns a blazing -- I'm going to wait until the coach winds down a bit and then quietly remind him after the free throws are over.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

We always have the non-technical calling official deliver the reminder. I think the coach is probably irked at the calling official anyway so we don't want to throw salt into the coach's eyes.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
We always have the non-technical calling official deliver the reminder. I think the coach is probably irked at the calling official anyway so we don't want to throw salt into the coach's eyes.
This is a HS mechanic that kinda irks me. The FED's mindset is utter balderdash. The coach just earned a technical and the calling official must now tuck tail and run away and let his partner deal with the coach. Their reasoning makes sense for kids, but for adults each party needs to take personal responsibility for their actions.

Way to often in these situations the appearance of "impropriety" is put squarely on the officials shoulder, when it's the coach that just did something to earn him a T, and it's the coach that's upset, and it's the coach that's running his mouth saying inappropriate things.

What salt are you throwing in the coach's eye for providing him the penalty he just earned and then seeing it through by telling him to, "sit the @#$@$ down." [I provided a paraphrase, something more suitable should be used but the message is the same ]
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 10:38am
This IS My Social Life

Diffuse the Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
...utter balderdash.

Isn't that considered profanity in some FIBA countries?

Quote:
Their reasoning makes sense for kids, but...
But oftentimes there's only one adult involved in the interplay.

Fed mechanic isn't all that bad if the goal is to offer a means to diffuse what otherwise might, for whatever party might be less tactful than ideally expected, result in an ejection.

I'm not one to refuse to defuse.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I don't really mind having the calling official get away from the coach and let the non-calling official remind him to take a seat. The problem I do have is with non-calling officials who stand there and give the coach their ear the entire time the free throws are being shot. The non-calling official should remind him of the seatbelt and step away from him. To me it just looks like the guy standing there with the HC is playing "good cop" to the calling official's "bad cop".
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I don't really mind having the calling official get away from the coach and let the non-calling official remind him to take a seat. The problem I do have is with non-calling officials who stand there and give the coach their ear the entire time the free throws are being shot. The non-calling official should remind him of the seatbelt and step away from him. To me it just looks like the guy standing there with the HC is playing "good cop" to the calling official's "bad cop".
Good observation. Partners need to have each others back. That is why I prefer to work with the same partner each night. We know each other well and trust each other totally.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

An easy way to have this conversation is to make it about the rule and not the official and their call.

" Coach, by rule, you are now required to sit for the remainder of the game"

This same approach can be used with explaining other controversial or unpopular rulings. This way, the emphasis is shifted more from your call itself to the rule in the book.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
An easy way to have this conversation is to make it about the rule and not the official and their call.

" Coach, by rule, you are now required to sit for the remainder of the game"

This same approach can be used with explaining other controversial or unpopular rulings. This way, the emphasis is shifted more from your call itself to the rule in the book.
I got stuck delivering the reminder after I was the calling official in a camp game this summer. My partner was a young lady with some special needs who had some ability, great for kids, not so great for GJV/V that we were working.

Coach stayed standing, silent about anything but shouting encouragement so I just went by him and said, by rule you need to sit, sir. He did and there was no issue.

Complying with the rule is in the coach's best interest and they know that. It's an emotional moment and people forget that they need to sit when it happens.

Going in guns ablazin' is going to escalate the situation, a quiet reminder will redirect everyone back to the game.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

"Coach I need you to sit down by rule."

And it must be noted that I am not there to debate the call or to discuss why they got a T. I am there to simply give information and if that information is not listened to, then action will be taken.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 02:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
This is a HS mechanic that kinda irks me. The FED's mindset is utter balderdash. The coach just earned a technical and the calling official must now tuck tail and run away and let his partner deal with the coach. Their reasoning makes sense for kids, but for adults each party needs to take personal responsibility for their actions.

Way to often in these situations the appearance of "impropriety" is put squarely on the officials shoulder, when it's the coach that just did something to earn him a T, and it's the coach that's upset, and it's the coach that's running his mouth saying inappropriate things.

What salt are you throwing in the coach's eye for providing him the penalty he just earned and then seeing it through by telling him to, "sit the @#$@$ down." [I provided a paraphrase, something more suitable should be used but the message is the same ]
What FED mindset? I consider it good practice to get away from a coach I just whacked. I don't need the NFHS to tell me it's a stupid idea to stay close to a coach I've just whacked.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 02:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
What FED mindset? I consider it good practice to get away from a coach I just whacked. I don't need the NFHS to tell me it's a stupid idea to stay close to a coach I've just whacked.
Exactly. It's the same reason I send my teenager to her room when she's acting like someone else's child.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 08:06pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:

Why possibly add fuel the fire? Why not try and diffuse the situation as best as you can? It sounds like you take altercations like this personally.