The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 05:21pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Frustrated Loyola coach Patsos takes a seat in the stands

Can someone tell me what a "Grad A" technical is? Ever heard or seen anything like this before?

BALTIMORE (AP) — It's not often a college basketball coach passes control of his team to an assistant in the middle of a game, then climbs into the stands to watch the action.
Jimmy Patsos did both Tuesday night.

His Loyola (Md.) team lost to Cornell 82-72 in Boston during the NIT Season Tip-off, and the fifth-year coach insists his actions were warranted.

The trouble began when Patsos was slapped with a technical foul midway through the first half. According to Patsos, instead of calling the technical on the bench, referee John Gaffney told those at the scoring table, "That's a Grade A technical foul on Jimmy Patsos."

Patsos said Gaffney then warned him that he would be thrown out of the arena if he said another word.

"It was a very strange situation," Patsos said Wednesday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "I really hadn't done anything in the first place to warrant the technical, and there was no warning. But instead of arguing, I just moved to the other side of the bench and had (assistant) Matt Kovarick call the plays."

Patsos used the time to talk individually to players on his young team. All went well until late in the second half, when Patsos contends Gaffney initiated a switch with another referee to position himself in front of the Loyola bench.

Gaffney then "yelled at me and my assistants," Patsos said.

Patsos had no idea how to react.

"I didn't want to get tossed out. I had my hands up in the surrender position," he said.

Patsos said video of the scene shows Loyola athletic director Joe Boylan in the stands, placing his hands on his head in astonishment. Seconds later, Patsos climbed about two rows into the seats to sit behind Boylan and ask for some advice.

"I didn't want to hurt the school or the program, but at that point I really didn't know what to do," Patsos said.

"I just told him to calm down," Boylan said Wednesday. "As far as I'm concerned, he handled the situation well. He made sure there was no way he would be thrown out of the game."

Patsos returned to the bench and stayed calm until the final buzzer.

When Patsos arrived at Loyola five years ago, he inherited a 1-27 team and ultimately turned around the program. Known for his fiery sideline demeanor, Patsos used to sweat through his suit and tie by halftime.

He contends he's now a changed man who doesn't drink, wears a peace sign on his wrist and has far more patience with his players — and officials.

"I've lost weight, feel better and am happy to turn the other cheek," he said.

Boylan said he would take no disciplinary action against Patsos, and lauded his work at the small Jesuit school.

"He's done a remarkable job in a very, very difficult situation," Boylan said. "His passion is the conduit."
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 06:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Can someone tell me what a "Grad A" technical is? Ever heard or seen anything like this before?

According to Patsos, instead of calling the technical on the bench, referee John Gaffney told those at the scoring table, "That's a Grade A technical foul on Jimmy Patsos."
Notice this is a quote from Patsos as to what the official said, not what the table or the official said the official actually said. I can't believe either that the official said "Grade A" or mentioned the coach by name. The story also implies the coach thinks technicals should be called only on the "bench" and that a prior warning is a requirement. Nuff said.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 06:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I believe NCAA went to "Class A" technicals this year.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 06:51pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I think it was NCAA Men only.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Yep. In NCAA women's technicals are still classified as they were in the past.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

"Seconds later, Patsos climbed about two rows into the seats to sit behind Boylan and ask for some advice."

So why wasn't a second technical foul called at this point?

The head coach is clearly out of the coaching box.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And "Class B" too.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Class A and Class B

Class A technicals are for players that committ a technical foul for cursing, contact during dead ball or any flagrant. 9 different reasons.

Class A technicals are for bench inappropriate behavior. If it is on an assitant, then the coach is charged with the A. The call was correct. However, the coach only gets a Class B charged directly to him if the foul was on bench personel other than him. THis tallies towards ejection.

Class B technical for players are for using tobacco, face guarding, dunking in pregame etc. 15 different reasons...

Class B technical for coaches are coaching box violation, bench area, using tobacco, wrong numbers etc. Why was he not charged for leaving the bench is anyones guess. My guess is the offiicial never saw it. They can't say a word sounds more like a NFHS enforcement to me. College coaches do not loose the get up and coach privilege like in HS.

THe big differences between A and B:

A counts toward team totals and player totals, B does not. They all count towards disqualification, 2a's or 1a and 2b's or 3b's.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 10:07am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
Class A technicals are for bench inappropriate behavior. If it is on an assitant, then the coach is charged with the A. The call was correct. However, the coach only gets a Class B charged directly to him if the foul was on bench personel other than him. THis tallies towards ejection.
To be clear, the assistant receives the Class A and the HC would receive a Class B.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Obviously the coaching box has a defined width but does the coaching box have a defined depth? Do the officials really care if he is two rows back? I don't think they would care as long as he's not up in the media area looking at replays of a controversial call

-Josh
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Obviously the coaching box has a defined width but does the coaching box have a defined depth? Do the officials really care if he is two rows back? I don't think they would care as long as he's not up in the media area looking at replays of a controversial call

-Josh
Section 8 Art 1
The coaching box shall extend from the sideline to the back of the team benches and shall be bound by the end line and no farther than the 28-foot line as noted in the diagram.

Since he already had one class he isn't allowed out of the box to do anything they could have gotten him for it. Especially for coming back to the bench.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Section 8 Art 1
The coaching box shall extend from the sideline to the back of the team benches and shall be bound by the end line and no farther than the 28-foot line as noted in the diagram.

Since he already had one class he isn't allowed out of the box to do anything they could have gotten him for it. Especially for coming back to the bench.
Didn't know that. Sorry, I was too lazy to look it up

-Josh
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 01:44pm
Ref Ump Welsch

What bothers me about this whole situation is that the official supposedly said the coach's name to the table, not "white coach" or whatever color the uniform was. If I did that in a HS game (and I know so many coaches because they are sometimes football coaches or football officials and I work football as well) I would get downgraded and can kiss the postseason goodbye or forget about getting far into the postseason.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

At least the sportswriter said the the coach said that the official said....
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
What bothers me about this whole situation is that the official supposedly said the coach's name to the table, not "white coach" or whatever color the uniform was. If I did that in a HS game (and I know so many coaches because they are sometimes football coaches or football officials and I work football as well) I would get downgraded and can kiss the postseason goodbye or forget about getting far into the postseason.
"He's the best official we've got, but of the 247 fouls he called this year one of them was reported incorrectly to the scorer. No playoffs for him."