The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Honestly, in this hypothetical, 2-3 is sufficient. And in such a manifestly unfair act, I have no issue basinga 2-3 decision on what I think is fair.
Precisely. Any super bizarre play like this was never considered when the rules were written for likely scenarios. 2-3 is in there for exactly these kinds of things. We are charged with doing the "right" thing and not with trying to shoehorn a square action into any one of a set of round rules.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
It is not for us to make personal judgments as to what is fair or not. The rules are in place so that game can be played fairly by both teams. I wouldn't use the spirit of the rules as a reason for making or not making a call when you are discussing with a coach. They are not going to care how you interpret the spirit of the rule and your assignor will not be able to defend your actions in that case either. As I said before, I am all for stretching rules to fit the situation at hand, but I haven't seen a compelling argument for using any of the rule options yet that I would be comfortable applying. And yes I believe there is a difference between applying the spirit of the rules to do what is fair and stretching the rules based on ones judgment of what happened on the play.

As an example from what was discussed in regards to this play. I would not call a flagrant technical on this play. If the offended coach asked my why I would tell them the action of throwing the shoe does not meet the criteria of being extreme or persistent. That would be my judgment. I would not tell them I don't think ejecting the player is fair or that it is within the spirit of the rule.
Believe me, I'm not going to tell the coach of either team why the decision was made other than to say, "Coach, there's nothing in the rule book that covers this exact situation so here's what we're going to do." When I try to hash things out with my partner(s) before we deal with the coaches that's another story. I'm sure we'd discuss it in within the context of the rules but in a 2-3 situation we're usually trying to come up with something that's fair to all involved...or at least as fair as we can be.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Being that this was an NCAAW game...can anyone post the applicable NCAAW rule (if any) that would cover this play?
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Being that this was an NCAAW game...can anyone post the applicable NCAAW rule (if any) that would cover this play?
There isn't any in any code. The closest thing would be 10-3-1 (commiting an unsportsmanlike act).
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 06:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

As Mel B Would Say ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The closest thing would be 10-3-1 (commiting an unsportsmanlike act).
Close? It's spot on.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Close? It's spot on.
Yeah, I know. I meant nothing like "a player is not allowed to throw her shoe at a try."
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 08:09am
NFHS Official

I'm doing this. If the shot is on the way down, and the shoe hits the ball, I am awarding the points, either 2 or 3, and also assessing a technical foul. If it doesn't hit the ball, or it hits while on the upward flight just the technical foul.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 08:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I'm doing this. If the shot is on the way down, and the shoe hits the ball, I am awarding the points, either 2 or 3, and also assessing a technical foul. If it doesn't hit the ball, or it hits while on the upward flight just the technical foul.
Are you talking about the OP, or the modified version with time expired and the game tying three point shot in question?

In the game tying situation, regardless of where in the arc the shoe hits the ball, I'm probably going to call two Ts or just award three shots for the one T. Alternatively, I might just score the basket and call a single T.
Old Sat Nov 16, 2013, 04:57pm
C'mon man!!

If the ball is on the way down, I have goaltending plus a T. No contact from the shoe on the ball I have just a T. If the ball is on the way up and the shoe contacts the ball, I have a T and ..... ummm, errrr, something else???

Especially in the last few seconds of the 4th quarter and the team ahead by 2 or 3 tries this you have to do something more than a single T. I can't say I agree with 3 technical Free throws. I am more inclined for issuing 2 T's, one for unsporting conduct (throwing a shoe) and another for unsporting conduct (illegally using equipment). Flagrant doesn't solve your problem nor do I think it is fair for the shoe thrower. 2 T's I am ok with, then they aren't suspended for the next game as well. I think we are relatively supported by rules for a contact on the way down and a no contact at all situation, so let's come up with something fair for contact on the way up that we can support by rule. Good luck.

I do think the penalty should be more severe than 1 T though or every team would use this as an end of game strategy to seal a victory.
We should adopt the NBA case ruling. That would make our job easy peasy lemon squeasy.

Last edited by Sharpshooternes; Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 05:00pm.
Old Sat Nov 16, 2013, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

A player's potential playing status would have no affect on me in regards to calling a flagrant T or not on this play. In fact, doing something so outside the bounds of what is sporting in the game, like on this play, means that IMO, the player doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. I'm not worried, in particular, about the "fairness" afforded to the shoe thrower. And I'm not sure how things work in your state, but here, the state will suspend for 2 T's as well as a flagrant.

And to me, if you're going to say goaltending if the ball is on the way down, I'm doing it on the way up on this play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Nov 16, 2013, 06:05pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
A player's potential playing status would have no affect on me in regards to calling a flagrant T or not on this play. In fact, doing something so outside the bounds of what is sporting in the game, like on this play, means that IMO, the player doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. I'm not worried, in particular, about the "fairness" afforded to the shoe thrower. And I'm not sure how things work in your state, but here, the state will suspend for 2 T's as well as a flagrant.

And to me, if you're going to say goaltending if the ball is on the way down, I'm doing it on the way up on this play.
I don't really care about a players potential status for other games either. I just don't think this particular situation warrants a flagrant foul. TBH, I will have to check to see if they are suspended for 2 Ts. They are for sure for flagrant. Either way you do it 1 T or 1 Flagrant, this doesn't make it fair for the offended team. That's why I would prefer to charge 2 Ts or GT plus shots to give them a fair shot at getting the points they attempted.

I agree with you and I think goal tending on the way up or down in this situation plus a T would be the most appropriate and defensible ruling on this particular play.