The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Who throws a shoe!? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96542-who-throws-shoe.html)

jeschmit Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:07pm

Who throws a shoe!?

Honestly!

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a 26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJ nI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:9968135&thr uParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

What would you have here?

Adam Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:40pm

T, easy. No question.

grunewar Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:44pm

Just when you think you've seen it all........

A T for unsporting conduct.

APG Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:48pm

Funny enough, the NBA has a case book exactly for this situation...count the basket for whatever its value is taken from...then charge an unsporting T to the player.

Toren Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 910621)
Funny enough, the NBA has a case book exactly for this situation...count the basket for whatever its value is taken from...then charge an unsporting T to the player.

Count the basket if he makes the shoe? :eek::D

rockyroad Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:58pm

Quote:

Interesting. Whether or not the shoe hits the ball?

Not really any rules basis for counting the basket in NFHS or NCAA-W that I can think of...but the T is pretty easy.

grunewar Wed Nov 13, 2013 01:00pm

Quote:

count the basket for whatever its value is taken from...then charge an unsporting T to the player.

I like it!

The question comes to my mind, what/when was the situation that prompted the Case Play?

APG - you know how old it is or when it came about? Inquiring minds want to know.

APG Wed Nov 13, 2013 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 910623)
Interesting. Whether or not the shoe hits the ball?

Not really any rules basis for counting the basket in NFHS or NCAA-W that I can think of...but the T is pretty easy.

Yup, hitting the ball is of no importance..in fact, the ball wouldn't even have to be released...also true for any object thrown and it applies to bench players, coaches, or trainers. The NBA rule cited is 2-3 (elastic powers) to count the basket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 910624)
I like it!

The question comes to my mind, what/when was the situation that prompted the Case Play?

APG - you know how old it is or when it came about? Inquiring minds want to know.

No idea when the case play came out. It probably occurred before 2005-2006 as this play is in that case book though back then, counting the basket only applied if the ball was released.

Officials in a playoff game last year applied this ruling after a bench player (accidently?) threw a towel at an opponent who was shooting a 3-pointer. They correctly applied the play.

johnny d Wed Nov 13, 2013 01:45pm

I don't think you could count the basket in NFHS or NCAA even if the shoe hit the ball unless it was at a point where you could call GT or BI.

rekent Wed Nov 13, 2013 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 910629)
I don't think you could count the basket in NFHS or NCAA even if the shoe hit the ball unless it was at a point where you could call GT or BI.

I don't believe you could call it regardless, both rules explicitly state "... when a player touches ..."

Just have to suffice with the T and a "What in the heck were you thinking?!" look.

just another ref Wed Nov 13, 2013 02:04pm

I'm thinking flagrant here. I consider this unacceptable conduct.

Adam Wed Nov 13, 2013 02:30pm

OK, let's play the game.

A is down by 3 and launches a 3 point shot from the division line as time expires. B1, at about the FT line, throws his shoe and redirects the ball just enough to ensure it misses the basket.

For clarity, the ball is on its way down.

MD Longhorn Wed Nov 13, 2013 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 910633)
OK, let's play the game.

A is down by 3 and launches a 3 point shot from the division line as time expires. B1, at about the FT line, throws his shoe and redirects the ball just enough to ensure it misses the basket.

For clarity, the ball is on its way down.

Count it and the Tech.

HokiePaul Wed Nov 13, 2013 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 910631)
I don't believe you could call it regardless, both rules explicitly state "... when a player touches ..."

Just have to suffice with the T and a "What in the heck were you thinking?!" look.

Interesting thought. If it was a 3 point attempt, would anyone find a way to penalize with 2 T's - 4 shots? (as in the case where the bench player comes onto the court to block the 3 point attempt). I would think this is a given if the shoe hits the ball, but what if it just clearly distracted the shooter?

rekent Wed Nov 13, 2013 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 910634)
Count it and the Tech.

How? I agree absolutely that it should be this way, but how is it supported by rule? Do you think a thrown object can be read into "when a player touches" or would you be going to 2-3 "The referee shall make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules." to justify it?

Anyway to call something within the rules for failing to be properly equipped?