The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
NFHS. I would call a foul on this play. If I had the endline angle and the play coming toward me I would call an intentional foul based on 4-19-3a, "Contact that neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position", and 4-19-3d, "Excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball".

Blake may appear to be ahead of Lin in the race to the ball, but Lin still has an obvious advantageous position to try to secure the ball. Instead of Blake going directly for the ball, he initiates contact into Lin prior to playing the ball, to have an uncontested chance at securing the ball.
I can see one calling a foul on this play (though I'd have a no-call as well). But I don't think this even comes close to being an intentional foul. This is no where close to an obvious advantageous position for Lin...they're basically stride for stride for the final portion of the play.. I also think it's a huge stretch to consider this excessive contact.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 06:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've got a foul, as throwing your shoulder into the opponent is the opposite of incidental, IMO.

But I'd have a real hard time justifying an intentional.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 06:31pm. Reason: additional info
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
I agree. Equal and favorable positions, both shoulders come in and meet and the player in front has the better chance of gaining posession of the loose ball. White just takes the fall because of the course of play, not illegal action. An ex-NBA official once instructed to follow the path of the players during loose ball plays (straight line run toward the ball, angle, etc.) and also consider their speed.
I would have agreed with your assessment had Blake just gone straight to the ball. However, he didn't. He chose to throw his shoulder into Lin to knock him off his path. That makes it a foul. The new L, from his position was in a poor position to referee that play. He may have been in a poor position because he was doing the right thing at the other end, but that doesn't mean he had a great view. From the first 3-4 replays, I had no foul on the play. Once they showed the endline view, I had an obvious foul.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
From the first 3-4 replays, I had no foul on the play. Once they showed the endline view, I had an obvious foul.
I think this would be a great video to use to teach the difference positioning can make.
Old Sat Nov 09, 2013, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
NFHS. I would call a foul on this play. If I had the endline angle and the play coming toward me I would call an intentional foul based on 4-19-3a, "Contact that neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position", and 4-19-3d, "Excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball".
Calling an intentional foul in this play falls into the category of “looking for trouble.” Trouble can find us on the court on a good day. Don’t try to find it on your own. Intentionals/F1s and Flagrants/F2s will usually call themselves.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Nov 09, 2013, 09:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

If I saw the play from the camera's angle I would. On the court I don't think any official was in position to see it.