The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 08:46pm
Ok is the new good

Loose Ball

Loose Ball at division line..A1 has inside position to the ball and is standing. B1 comes from behind and takes away the legs of A1 by "clipping" him from behind?

A foul was called on B1

Question: Does it matter if A1 has possession of the ball or is this a foul regardless whether ball is loose or not?

Coach was arguing that if ball is loose then no foul call.

Thanks!
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 08:57pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Loose Ball at division line..A1 has inside position to the ball and is standing. B1 comes from behind and takes away the legs of A1 by "clipping" him from behind?

A foul was called on B1

Question: Does it matter if A1 has possession of the ball or is this a foul regardless whether ball is loose or not?

Thanks!
Ask yourself this question: would that coach have said nothing had the teams been reversed and you gave it a no-call?
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 10:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

There is no provision in the rules that allow extra contact when the ball is "loose.". This is probably the same coach that complains when his players get called for a rebounding foul.

"It's called 'boxing out.'"
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 10:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just one more example of why you do not pay that close attention to coaches other then for comic value.

Peace
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 09:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Anybody Remember Three To Make Two, Pepperidge Farm Remembers ...

Quote:
Even back when the NBA invented loose ball fouls, these were still fouls, it was just that different penalties applied.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 09:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Say Hello To Garfield For Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Just one more example of why you do not pay that close attention to coaches other then for comic value.
... which is why, as I leave the court at the end of the game, my usual valediction to a coach is, "See ya in the funny papers".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 09:49am.
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

A foul was called on B1

Thanks!
And you let this create doubt in your mind?

Before this coach made this statement were you under the impression a player had to have the ball in his possession in order for him/her to be fouled?

Does this coach also think players can be knocked down when attempting to get a rebound?
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 03:56pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And you let this create doubt in your mind?

Before this coach made this statement were you under the impression a player had to have the ball in his possession in order for him/her to be fouled?

Does this coach also think players can be knocked down when attempting to get a rebound?
I knew the call was right..I posted to get a framework to attempt to explain next time one of our comic coaches throws up a protest
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 03:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I knew the call was right..I posted to get a framework to attempt to explain next time one of our comic coaches throws up a protest
Just tell them the truth or the rule. A loose ball does not give you special protection to do what you want. Say that and move on.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

A foul was called on B1

Thanks!
A coach who has seen a proper application of 4-27-3 "Contact which may result when opponents are in equally favorable positions to perform normal defensive or offensive movements, should not be considered illegal, even though the contact may be severe." may, in a subsequent situation, want to stretch that application to a play such as you stated, above.
The misunderstanding, by the coach, is the an over-simplification of that concept, and is covered by 4-27-5.
Coaches are proned to try to apply rules from a perspective that favors their agenda, their team and players, even when we as officials find their application to lack credibility.
"Coach, if your player got hit from behind, like that, what would you think?" - (with a smile) in many cases, has helped to correct their perspective, and set the stage for good repoire and communication on subsequent calls.