The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

Loose Ball: Foul or Not

Do you have a foul here or not?

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

For an NBA game I can see not calling the foul but if you don't call the foul, call the travel.

For NCAA/HS, call the foul.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 07:18am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The new L appears to got caught well behind the play and the various camera angles show just how important positioning is IMO. From the first few long angles the contact didn't look as bad, almost like Blake cut in front of the player and the contact was incidental. However, the last few angles showed the contact pretty well.

In Fed, by not making the foul call and calling either travel or out of bounds, the right team gets posession. In bound the ball and move on.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 07:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Smile, You're On Candid Camera ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
... by not making the foul call and calling either travel or out of bounds, the right team gets possession. In bound the ball and move on.
I might have done this thirty years ago, but my local board has moved toward not ignoring illegal action because the "right" team ended up with the ball. There are way too many cameras out there and I don't want to have to explain my way out of a situation. If I miss a call, then I miss a call, but I'm no longer going to pretend to miss a call that I really didn't miss.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 07:42am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Billy, I don't necessarily disagree. But from where the official was, he might not have seen the contact as clearly. As I said, initially, it looked like Blake cut in front of him. We don't have the use of all of those cameras to make a call on ths spot.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The new L appears to got caught well behind the play and the various camera angles show just how important positioning is IMO.
I don't know if positioning is a huge issue here. I've heard it a lot the past couple of years: officiate what's in front of you, not what may happen. There was a scramble on the floor and he stuck with it until it became apparent Houston had the ball. By the time he turned to go guys were already at the division line. It happens. I don't think his angle was that bad that he couldn't see Blake's contact on Lin.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

No foul.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 10:34am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
For an NBA game I can see not calling the foul but if you don't call the foul, call the travel.

For NCAA/HS, call the foul.
Why the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No foul.
Why no foul?
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
No foul.
The contact does not seem incidental to me and creates and advantage in going for the loose ball. I would call this foul at any level.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 10:53am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I don't know if positioning is a huge issue here. I've heard it a lot the past couple of years: officiate what's in front of you, not what may happen. There was a scramble on the floor and he stuck with it until it became apparent Houston had the ball. By the time he turned to go guys were already at the division line. It happens. I don't think his angle was that bad that he couldn't see Blake's contact on Lin.
I agree with you that the official was correct in staying with the play during the scramble for the loose ball and that Houston controlling the ball put him at a huge disadvantage relative to the players that were already leaking out to go the other way.

I have to disagree when you say that his angle wasn't so bad that he couldn't see Blake's contact. From where he was at, he probably could see the contact, but I don't think he could see how much better postion Lin was in to get to this ball than Blake. From the angle the official was at, which is pretty similar to the first views of the play, this looks like a 50/50 play and I would go with incidental contact if that was our only view. I am not faulting the official from going with that call based on where he was. With the benefit of looking at the replay from the other angles it is clear that Lin is going to get the ball until Blake contacts him from a disadvantageous position. Therefore, I think the correct call was a foul on Blake. Again, given the circumstances and the positioning of the official, I think he made the best decision he could based on what he could see.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No foul.
I agree. Equal and favorable positions, both shoulders come in and meet and the player in front has the better chance of gaining posession of the loose ball. White just takes the fall because of the course of play, not illegal action. An ex-NBA official once instructed to follow the path of the players during loose ball plays (straight line run toward the ball, angle, etc.) and also consider their speed.

Last edited by NCHSAA; Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 11:06am.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Why the difference?
Mainly because it's the NBA. I wouldn't be against a call but a no-call isn't a shock.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Why the difference?Why no foul?
Incidental contact. Esp. article 2.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 05:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Common Ground ...

Quote:
Billy, I don't necessarily disagree. But from where the official was, he might not have seen the contact as clearly. As I said, initially, it looked like Blake cut in front of him. We don't have the use of all of those cameras to make a call on this spot.
I probably should have worded my post better. What I probably should have said was the official should have called the first illegal action that he observed, be it the first contact, the second contact, the steps, or the out of bounds.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 06:27pm.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 06:00pm
AremRed

NFHS. I would call a foul on this play. If I had the endline angle and the play coming toward me I would call an intentional foul based on 4-19-3a, "Contact that neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position", and 4-19-3d, "Excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball".

Blake may appear to be ahead of Lin in the race to the ball, but Lin still has an obvious advantageous position to try to secure the ball. Instead of Blake going directly for the ball, he initiates contact into Lin prior to playing the ball, to have an uncontested chance at securing the ball.