Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Nov 06, 2013, 01:58am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Recently my association held elections for officers and board members and all the candidates had one common theme: THEY WERE ANGRY

The feelings of resentment and feeling left out of the "BIG GAMES" bubbled over and were put out in the open for all to hear! I have heard private complaining and whispers over the years but nothing so public and with so much fire..words like corruption and favortism were tossed around loosely.

Your thoughts on how much these type of feelings exists in your world? Why do people get so riled up over high school basketball?
Rookie, I am curious to find out what happens throughout the next few weeks/ season with your elections, association, and if any changes happen. I think the most frustrating part for me is going to at least 2 camps every summer, studying the crap out of the rule book, case book, and official's manual, and then realize that the varsity officials are only required to attend camp once every three years, and realize that they don't know that the ball is dead after a made basket even though the clock is running and that simultaneous violations on a free throw goes to the arrow and such, yet they maintain their same varsity assignments, even though they probably haven't cracked a rule book in years. That is a really long sentence.

Our 4 main evaluators don't officiate anymore and I have a lot of respect for them, but I feel like they should be putting the varsity guys under the same scrutiny as any other official. Let the dead wood drift away and let the motivated, dedicated, respect for the game, growth officials fill in those spots. I think it is better for the game, better for the reputation of the association, and just helps improve the game all around. Then when these really motivated guys get to where they want to go, I think they would be more inclined to give back and help other nwere like minded officials to move up and improve. Just my 2 or 3 cents.