The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 03:48pm
Official Fiveum Member

Smile Politics and basketball

Now that Kentucky is going to play Louisville, it puts a lot of pressure on the governor of Kentucky, Steve Beshear. I'm sure some reporter is going to ask him who he is going to "support" in the game and whichever team he picks, it will probably cost him votes in the next election. I guess he can always hope for a tie.

Oh yeah - he attended Kentucky, so there's probably no doubt about who he will root for.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 03:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wont he do what most politicians do in that situation? Just say you are happy that you have two great teams and one team will be in the Championship game? If he is smart that is what he will do.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 04:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Wont he do what most politicians do in that situation? Just say you are happy that you have two great teams and one team will be in the Championship game? If he is smart that is what he will do.

Peace

Rut - you just used "smart" and "politician" in the same paragraph!
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
Now that Kentucky is going to play Louisville, it puts a lot of pressure on the governor of Kentucky, Steve Beshear. I'm sure some reporter is going to ask him who he is going to "support" in the game and whichever team he picks, it will probably cost him votes in the next election. I guess he can always hope for a tie.

Oh yeah - he attended Kentucky, so there's probably no doubt about who he will root for.
Two things:

1- I'm 100% positive he loses fewer votes if he pulls for UK.

2- Anybody who would place a vote based on such a decision shouldn't be allowed to vote.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 09:04pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Two things:

1- I'm 100% positive he loses fewer votes if he pulls for UK.

2- Anybody who would place a vote based on such a decision shouldn't be allowed to vote.
3-Nice choice between those two coaches.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2012, 10:09pm
big jake

He is in his second term and by law cannot run again. He can cheer for who he wants to.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jake View Post
He is in his second term and by law cannot run again. He can cheer for who he wants to.
I would be interested in seeing the text of that state law. It may not be worded as you write. Amusingly, these things are almost never textually perfect when first implemented. For example, it may limit a person to serving two terms, but not from actually running a campaign and being on the ballot or even elected to a third term. It also may not nix someone from serving after the death of another in that office to complete a term. Little quirks of election law were a specialty of mine in school.

Take the case of a person who has a birthday between election day and inauguration day. What if such a person runs for US Congress Rep, Senator, or President during a year in which said individual will turn 25, 30, or 35?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 01:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I would be interested in seeing the text of that state law. It may not be worded as you write. Amusingly, these things are almost never textually perfect when first implemented. For example, it may limit a person to serving two terms, but not from actually running a campaign and being on the ballot or even elected to a third term. It also may not nix someone from serving after the death of another in that office to complete a term. Little quirks of election law were a specialty of mine in school.

Take the case of a person who has a birthday between election day and inauguration day. What if such a person runs for US Congress Rep, Senator, or President during a year in which said individual will turn 25, 30, or 35?
Like Joe Biden?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2012, 08:48pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I would be interested in seeing the text of that state law. It may not be worded as you write. Amusingly, these things are almost never textually perfect when first implemented. For example, it may limit a person to serving two terms, but not from actually running a campaign and being on the ballot or even elected to a third term.
For example, there's now team control during a throw-in. . .