The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 11:52am
Ok is the new good

Politics of Basketball

Recently my association held elections for officers and board members and all the candidates had one common theme: THEY WERE ANGRY

The feelings of resentment and feeling left out of the "BIG GAMES" bubbled over and were put out in the open for all to hear! I have heard private complaining and whispers over the years but nothing so public and with so much fire..words like corruption and favortism were tossed around loosely.

Your thoughts on how much these type of feelings exists in your world? Why do people get so riled up over high school basketball?
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Why do people get so riled up over high school basketball?
My guess is pride, ego, competition. They get to tell their buddies they worked that "big" game last week.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Most of us that are or were officials were also athletes and competitors previously. As such, we still have the competitive drive.

Some officials manifest that by comparing themselves to other officials and the number and/or percieved "quality" of the games assigned. Many officials that feel slighted that they are not getting the BIG games will start to blame "politics", the "good ole boy network" and "such and such assignor" doesn't like me. Anything but take a realistic look at their game and what they can do to improve.

Without knowing anything about your association and making some assumptions, I do find it interesting that some of the ANGRY officials have decided to become involved in the leadership of the organization instead of just sitting back and complaining about it. Hopefully, it works out well for your group.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 12:30pm
This IS My Social Life

One reason I am happy our association has no assigning function. Other associations in our state who do have similar issues to what you have expressed, though maybe not to that extent.
If it's as bad as say, would an initiative to separate the two be practical for your group?
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 12:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Recently my association held elections for officers and board members and all the candidates had one common theme: THEY WERE ANGRY

The feelings of resentment and feeling left out of the "BIG GAMES" bubbled over and were put out in the open for all to hear! I have heard private complaining and whispers over the years but nothing so public and with so much fire..words like corruption and favortism were tossed around loosely.

Your thoughts on how much these type of feelings exists in your world? Why do people get so riled up over high school basketball?
Happened here...many unhappy people, commissioner voted out, he starts rival organization, big-time split, good ole boy politics within the school system, etc, etc. So I work my public school games for an out-of-town board and private schools for my original board.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 12:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
... Many officials that feel slighted that they are not getting the BIG games will start to blame "politics", the "good ole boy network" and "such and such assignor" doesn't like me. Anything but take a realistic look at their game and what they can do to improve.
Sometimes this is reality, trust me.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

I love these angry guys. They make it so easy for the cream to rise to the top and get more of those great games.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 02:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
This has nothing to do with basketball honestly. People that are competitive on some level, want to achieve everything they can for as long as they can. When they fail or lose out those people cannot handle the lack of success or if others get successful at their expense. This is pure life. It could be about a woman, a job opportunity or who has the bigger house. It is all the same with human beings and it comes out in this area of our lives just like anything else. Basketball officiating IMO is no different. This is just another year of the same thing.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Sometimes this is reality, trust me.
I am well aware of that and did not mean to imply that these things don't happen at all.

However, in my experience, they are blamed for a perceived lack of advancement far more than they are actually responsible for.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 03:27pm
wife loves the goatee...

Sermon

One of our members gave an impassioned speech against our board (I'm not on it) last night. He doesn't think his schedule is fair and made it abundantly clear that he has no respect for the board and told the evaluators "judge not that ye be not judged".
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This has nothing to do with basketball honestly. People that are competitive on some level, want to achieve everything they can for as long as they can. When they fail or lose out those people cannot handle the lack of success or if others get successful at their expense. This is pure life. It could be about a woman, a job opportunity or who has the bigger house. It is all the same with human beings and it comes out in this area of our lives just like anything else. Basketball officiating IMO is no different. This is just another year of the same thing.
Well said. And really sums it up perfectly. Every association I've been a member of (there are 8) it's been the same. Human nature.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 03:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I love these angry guys. They make it so easy for the cream to rise to the top and get more of those great games.
Cream wasn't rising to the top around here. In these parts, the cream would go to camps and better themselves and get ridiculed by veterans for "trying to be college officials." The HS officiating situation is a joke where I live, that's why I travel up the road to work public school games.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 04:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
One of our members gave an impassioned speech against our board (I'm not on it) last night. He doesn't think his schedule is fair and made it abundantly clear that he has no respect for the board and told the evaluators "judge not that ye be not judged".
Um, isn't that what evaluators are supposed to do?

I've been in such meetings, where folks were running for the board, even running for the assigner's position. The speech was an angry plea for "fairness" and "objectivity."

I don't know how badly he lost.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The HS officiating situation is a joke where I live, that's why I travel up the road to work public school games.
Does your association put 1st year officials in hotly contested Varisty games? My new one does. I guess their thinking is that since we do three-man for everything the 2 experienced guys can cover the third guy. That my friend is a joke....
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 04:58pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
Does your association put 1st year officials in hotly contested Varisty games? My new one does. I guess their thinking is that since we do three-man for everything the 2 experienced guys can cover the third guy. That my friend is a joke....
Did I read that correctly? 1st year officials (Rookies) are put on varsity games?? What's the punchline?