The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Marking on NCAA Floor

I was recently at a Duke game, and am now watching a game on TV and noticed a marking on the floor about 3 feet outside the key perpendicular and along the baseline, but cannot figure out what it's used for. A cursory internet search doesn't provide any answers. Can anyone spread some insight on what this line is used for?
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoian View Post
I was recently at a Duke game, and am now watching a game on TV and noticed a marking on the floor about 3 feet outside the key perpendicular and along the baseline, but cannot figure out what it's used for. A cursory internet search doesn't provide any answers. Can anyone spread some insight on what this line is used for?
In NCAA-W's game, there is an area called the lower defensive box. The LDB is important in determining whether the restricted area will apply. The lower defensive box has two of its borders bounded by those marks (which you guessed correctly are 3 feet from the lane). You'll also see the same marks on an NBA court as they use the LDB as well.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 10:59pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
You'll also see the same marks on an NBA court as they use the LDB as well.
Don't all (NBA) endline throw-ins come from those marks as well?
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Don't all (NBA) endline throw-ins come from those marks as well?
No. If the ball goes OOB on the base line (meaning it doesn't touch any horizontal support or go directly over the top of the backboard) the throw-in spot is where the ball went OOB. After a made or awarded field goals or any throw-in to start the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, it's an unrestricted throw-in anywhere along the base line.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 12:37am
AremRed

Quote:
No. If the ball goes OOB on the base line (meaning it doesn't touch any horizontal support or go directly over the top of the backboard) the throw-in spot is where the ball went OOB. After a made or awarded field goals or any throw-in to start the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, it's an unrestricted throw-in anywhere along the base line.
Reading NBA 6-I-e,f,g I don't see anything about the throw-in spot being where the ball went OOB on the endline. I do see different spots (endline point nearest the 3-second area, FTLE, etc.) being assigned to different violations or OOB situations.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Reading NBA 6-I-e,f,g I don't see anything about the throw-in spot being where the ball went OOB on the endline. I do see different spots (endline point nearest the 3-second area, FTLE, etc.) being assigned to different violations or OOB situations.
Look at f

f. On the following infractions, the ball shall be awarded to the opposing team on the baseline at the nearest spot outside the three-second area extended:

(1) Ball out-of-bounds on baseline
(2) Ball hitting vertical basket support
(3) Defensive goaltending (all privileges remain)
(4) During a throw-in violation on the baseline

That's telling you if the ball goes OOB on the baseline, or hits the stand of the basket, then the ball goes OOB on the baseline at the nearest spot outside the lane line extended...not unlike under NCAA and NFHS rules. Those four situations (as well as the throw-in to start the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) are the only times when the ball will be throw-in on the baseline. Everything else is either free throw line extended or sideline closest to where the violation/foul occurred but no nearer to the baseline than free throw line extended.

Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 02:05am
AremRed

Quote:
nearest spot outside the lane line extended
Does this mean "nearest spot to where the ball exited the court", as in NCAA and NFHS, or "immediately outside the lane line extended", like the "block" area?
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does this mean "nearest spot to where the ball exited the court", as in NCAA and NFHS, or "immediately outside the lane line extended", like the "block" area?
Nearest spot to where the ball exited the court a la NCAA/NFHS.

Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 06:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

For Your Viewing Pleasure ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 11, 2013, 10:09pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
In NCAA-W's game, there is an area called the lower defensive box. The LDB is important in determining whether the restricted area will apply. The lower defensive box has two of its borders bounded by those marks (which you guessed correctly are 3 feet from the lane).
What's the "upper" boundary of the LDB in the Women's game? In the NBA, I believe it's the bottom of the jump circle. But I didn't see a marking on the college court to indicate the "top" of the LDB.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2013, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

It goes up two lane spaces -- so about 4' below the FT line.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2013, 10:27pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Thanks, Bob.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2013, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
What's the "upper" boundary of the LDB in the Women's game? In the NBA, I believe it's the bottom of the jump circle. But I didn't see a marking on the college court to indicate the "top" of the LDB.
You have it right...the LDB's upper boundary in the NBA is the bottom part of the jump circle.