The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Marking on NCAA Floor (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96471-marking-ncaa-floor.html)

dinoian Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:47pm

Marking on NCAA Floor

I was recently at a Duke game, and am now watching a game on TV and noticed a marking on the floor about 3 feet outside the key perpendicular and along the baseline, but cannot figure out what it's used for. A cursory internet search doesn't provide any answers. Can anyone spread some insight on what this line is used for?

APG Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinoian (Post 909849)
I was recently at a Duke game, and am now watching a game on TV and noticed a marking on the floor about 3 feet outside the key perpendicular and along the baseline, but cannot figure out what it's used for. A cursory internet search doesn't provide any answers. Can anyone spread some insight on what this line is used for?

In NCAA-W's game, there is an area called the lower defensive box. The LDB is important in determining whether the restricted area will apply. The lower defensive box has two of its borders bounded by those marks (which you guessed correctly are 3 feet from the lane). You'll also see the same marks on an NBA court as they use the LDB as well.

AremRed Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 909850)
You'll also see the same marks on an NBA court as they use the LDB as well.

Don't all (NBA) endline throw-ins come from those marks as well?

APG Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 909851)
Don't all (NBA) endline throw-ins come from those marks as well?

No. If the ball goes OOB on the base line (meaning it doesn't touch any horizontal support or go directly over the top of the backboard) the throw-in spot is where the ball went OOB. After a made or awarded field goals or any throw-in to start the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, it's an unrestricted throw-in anywhere along the base line.

AremRed Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 909852)
No. If the ball goes OOB on the base line (meaning it doesn't touch any horizontal support or go directly over the top of the backboard) the throw-in spot is where the ball went OOB. After a made or awarded field goals or any throw-in to start the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, it's an unrestricted throw-in anywhere along the base line.

Reading NBA 6-I-e,f,g I don't see anything about the throw-in spot being where the ball went OOB on the endline. I do see different spots (endline point nearest the 3-second area, FTLE, etc.) being assigned to different violations or OOB situations.

APG Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 909855)
Reading NBA 6-I-e,f,g I don't see anything about the throw-in spot being where the ball went OOB on the endline. I do see different spots (endline point nearest the 3-second area, FTLE, etc.) being assigned to different violations or OOB situations.

Look at f

f. On the following infractions, the ball shall be awarded to the opposing team on the baseline at the nearest spot outside the three-second area extended:

(1) Ball out-of-bounds on baseline
(2) Ball hitting vertical basket support
(3) Defensive goaltending (all privileges remain)
(4) During a throw-in violation on the baseline

That's telling you if the ball goes OOB on the baseline, or hits the stand of the basket, then the ball goes OOB on the baseline at the nearest spot outside the lane line extended...not unlike under NCAA and NFHS rules. Those four situations (as well as the throw-in to start the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) are the only times when the ball will be throw-in on the baseline. Everything else is either free throw line extended or sideline closest to where the violation/foul occurred but no nearer to the baseline than free throw line extended.

AremRed Tue Nov 05, 2013 02:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 909857)
nearest spot outside the lane line extended

Does this mean "nearest spot to where the ball exited the court", as in NCAA and NFHS, or "immediately outside the lane line extended", like the "block" area?

APG Tue Nov 05, 2013 02:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 909859)
Does this mean "nearest spot to where the ball exited the court", as in NCAA and NFHS, or "immediately outside the lane line extended", like the "block" area?

Nearest spot to where the ball exited the court a la NCAA/NFHS.

BillyMac Tue Nov 05, 2013 06:55am

For Your Viewing Pleasure ...

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.45557...05219&pid=15.1

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47263...29737&pid=15.1

Scrapper1 Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 909850)
In NCAA-W's game, there is an area called the lower defensive box. The LDB is important in determining whether the restricted area will apply. The lower defensive box has two of its borders bounded by those marks (which you guessed correctly are 3 feet from the lane).

What's the "upper" boundary of the LDB in the Women's game? In the NBA, I believe it's the bottom of the jump circle. But I didn't see a marking on the college court to indicate the "top" of the LDB.

bob jenkins Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:16pm

It goes up two lane spaces -- so about 4' below the FT line.

Scrapper1 Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:27pm

Thanks, Bob.

APG Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 910477)
What's the "upper" boundary of the LDB in the Women's game? In the NBA, I believe it's the bottom of the jump circle. But I didn't see a marking on the college court to indicate the "top" of the LDB.

You have it right...the LDB's upper boundary in the NBA is the bottom part of the jump circle.