The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 17, 2013, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA Throw in question

This is for FIBA officials only.

A three point shot is taken and the 24 second horn sounds while the ball is in the air. The ball misses the ring and is not immediately secured by the defense. A violation is called. Where is the throw in? On the endline near where the ball was when the whistle was blown. Or on the sideline near where the shot was taken from?
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
This is for FIBA officials only.

A three point shot is taken and the 24 second horn sounds while the ball is in the air. The ball misses the ring and is not immediately secured by the defense. A violation is called. Where is the throw in? On the endline near where the ball was when the whistle was blown. Or on the sideline near where the shot was taken from?
Where the shot was taken from.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

My understanding from our National FIBA Interpreter in Canada is that the violation is at the rim in this scenario, therefore causing the throw-in to be just outside the paint on the baseline.

If still in the shooter's hands when the horn sounds, then the throw-in would go to the closest throw-in spot to where that shooter was holding the ball when the horn went off.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieSlick View Post
My understanding from our National FIBA Interpreter in Canada is that the violation is at the rim in this scenario, therefore causing the throw-in to be just outside the paint on the baseline.

If still in the shooter's hands when the horn sounds, then the throw-in would go to the closest throw-in spot to where that shooter was holding the ball when the horn went off.
I thought so too Jamie. Do you know if that interpretation is in is in writing anywhere?
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

I don't have a written interpretation from the national interpreter but I was in a meeting where he was asked your question. He stated clearly that the violation is administered at the point nearest to where the shot was attempted. In his words (which I'm paraphrasing) the violation is committed by the shooter not hitting the rim and not by the ball missing the rim - if that makes sense.
Possible example; player attempts long shot near the center line. 24 second horn sounds and then the shot misses the rim. To penalize the defense by now inbounding on the endline isn't in the spirit of the rule.

I'm guessing this is a question on the CABO exam. This should make for some interesting discussion when the results are posted.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

I was partially correct.

If the ball is in the shooters hands it is from where the ball was located.

Otherwise, read this.

Quote:
ART. 29 TWENTY – FOUR SECONDS
Statement 1
A shot for a field goal is attempted near the end of
the twenty-four (24) second period and the signal
sounds while the ball is in the air. If the ball doe
s not touch the ring, a violation has occurred unless
the opponents have gained immediate and clear contro
l of the ball. The ball sh
all be awarded to the
opponent for the throw-in at the place nearest to
where the game was stopped
by the official, except
directly behind the backboard.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Constable's explanation seems reasonable, as this is right out of the 2012 rulebook. However, most airballs will be rebounded by the defensive team in the paint (Except in really low level games), so I guess I am partially correct as well!