The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 07:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

FIBA - division line throw-in violation

FIBA - Inbounds to start the half they have the right to straddle and go either way. Inbounder proceeds to throw the ball directly out of bounds on the front court baseline. Violation, obviously, ball comes back to mid-court, does the new inbounder have the right to go either way?

A citation is appreciated.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 07:42pm.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I know this isn't helpful, Juggler, but I have to say this is perhaps the dumbest rule in FIBA.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:19pm

What rule? TC during a TI?
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 11:39pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
FIBA - Inbounds to start the half they have the right to straddle and go either way. Inbounder proceeds to throw the ball directly out of bounds on the front court baseline. Violation, obviously, ball comes back to mid-court, does the new inbounder have the right to go either way?

Juggling Referee:

I will try to help you out with citations. The rules are unclear but it has always been my understanding that any throw-in that requires the thrower to straddle the division line extended can throw to either his team's frontcourt or backcourt.

You might want to read FIBA R4-A10 and A11, and R5-A22 and A30.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Yes, JR. BTW, team control starts as soon as player has ball ready for throw-in- cheers
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

FIBA Official Interpretations 2008; article 17, statement 4
Quote:
There are additional situations to those listed in Art. 17.2.3 in which the subsequent throw-in shall be taken from the centre line extended, opposite the scorer’s table:
(a) A player making the throw-in from the centre line extended opposite the scorer’s table commits a violation and the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the place of the original throw-in.
(b) … (fighting) …

Interpretation: In all the above situations the thrower-in can pass the ball to either the frontcourt or the backcourt.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 08:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Juggling Referee:

I will try to help you out with citations. The rules are unclear but it has always been my understanding that any throw-in that requires the thrower to straddle the division line extended can throw to either his team's frontcourt or backcourt.

You might want to read FIBA R4-A10 and A11, and R5-A22 and A30.

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK View Post
Yes, JR. BTW, team control starts as soon as player has ball ready for throw-in- cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
FIBA Official Interpretations 2008; article 17, statement 4
Thanks to each of you.

So then the throw-in spot remains to be "straddling the division line" when B gets a throw-in because A violated.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 08:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
What rule? TC during a TI?
Nah, the NCAA does that. I'm talking about the extension of FC and BC into the OOB area.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nah, the NCAA does that. I'm talking about the extension of FC and BC into the OOB area.
Why would you qualify this rule as dumb?

As a result of good defence in the FC, the ball is deflected OOB. Give me a good reason why the offence is allowed to throw in their BC.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So then the throw-in spot remains to be "straddling the division line" when B gets a throw-in because A violated.
Yes. These should be all the cases in which a throw-in is from the division line extended (and the ball can be thrown in the BC):
(1) start of a period, except the first but including overtimes;
(2) after a technical foul;
(3) after an unsportsmanlike foul;
(4) when the ball is advanced after a time-out in the last two minutes of the fourth period or overtimes;
(5) when penalties offset after a fight;
(6) when there is a throw-in violation during a throw-in from the division line.

During such a throw-in the player is allowed to move (1 meter), but this does not change the character of the throw-in, so the ball can be thrown in the BC even if both feet of the player are adjacent to the FC because of this movement. However, officials should hand the ball only to a player who is straddling the division line, thus making clear the character of this throw-in.

Similarly, if the spot throw-in is near the division line but in the FC and the player moves in the allotted space ending with both feet adjacent to the BC, they're not allowed to pass the ball in the BC: it's the original spot that counts.

Ciao
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 09:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Why would you qualify this rule as dumb?

As a result of good defence in the FC, the ball is deflected OOB. Give me a good reason why the offence is allowed to throw in their BC.
I think your premise is flawed. There are too many reasons the ball could be out in the defense's back court that have nothing to do with good defense. Maybe they committed a 8 second violation (10 seconds in the US). Maybe they threw it out of bounds. Maybe they traveled in the backcourt. Maybe they committed a foul resulting in a throw-in.

Good defense would result in a steal or offensive foul. Adequate defense could result in a ball deflected out of bounds.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think your premise is flawed. There are too many reasons the ball could be out in the defense's back court that have nothing to do with good defense. Maybe they committed a 8 second violation (10 seconds in the US). Maybe they threw it out of bounds. Maybe they traveled in the backcourt. Maybe they committed a foul resulting in a throw-in.

Good defense would result in a steal or offensive foul. Adequate defense could result in a ball deflected out of bounds.
I was talking of a good defence when the ball has FC status. Call it adequate, if you prefer. Why should the offence be allowed to pass in their BC?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 09:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I was talking of a good defence when the ball has FC status. Call it adequate, if you prefer. Why should the offence be allowed to pass in their BC?
Because that's only one of several reasons there would be a throwin in the offense's FC. Why reward the defense for committing a foul, or for kicking the ball, or for committing a violation in their backcourt?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because that's only one of several reasons there would be a throwin in the offense's FC. Why reward the defense for committing a foul, or for kicking the ball, or for committing a violation in their backcourt?
I guess you're not a fan of the shot-clock rule as they changed it in the NCAA, which precisely "rewards" the defense for kicking the ball, for example.

Talking FIBA, the offence has already had their 8 seconds in the BC, so they're bound to remain in the FC. I don't see anything "dumb" in this. There are dumber rules, IMO (the location of a player can be both in the BC and in the FC, for example). Don't take for dumb anything simply unusual.

Ciao
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 09:50am

Quote:
I guess you're not a fan of the shot-clock rule as they changed it in the NCAA, which precisely "rewards" the defense for kicking the ball, for example.

Talking FIBA, the offence has already had their 8 seconds in the BC, so they're bound to remain in the FC. I don't see anything "dumb" in this. There are dumber rules, IMO (the location of a player can be both in the BC and in the FC, for example). Don't take for dumb anything simply unusual.

Ciao
Yes, the dual location (FC and BC) confused me a bit too. I understand the goal of the rule, and the restirctions that FIBA is trying to place, but their method to do it, although necessary, isn't the easiest rule to pick up.