The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Wrong, it seems, because the OP deals with a throw - in .
How ridiculous would it be if the ball was administered for the throw in between the lane line and the 3 point arc... would a person then assess at as being thrown from inside the arc (from OOB) therefore the defected ball would then be only 2 points? That doesn't make sense because it was not thrown "from the field". Right?
I answered a second question. Correctly.

For the OP, I previously answered that too. 2 points.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
The NFHS rule is different than the NCAA rule. Any "thrown ball from the field" beyond the 3-point arc that enters the basket is 3 points under NFHS rule. One need not judge if this is a pass or not. NCAA requires the official to judge whether it is a pass or a try.
Quote:
3 points (NFHS). Case book 5.2.1 Situation C.

The ball was thrown from outside the arc; it was legally touched outside the arc; it entered the basket. All the elements of this counting as 3 points are met.

That is not the correct interpretation of the rule.

The more specific casebook play disagrees:
4.41.4 SITUATION B: A1’s three-point try is short and below ring level when it hits the shoulder of: (a) A2; or (b) B1 and rebounds to the backboard and through the basket. RULING: The three-point try ended when it was obviously short and below the ring. However, since a live ball went through the basket, two points are scored in both (a) and (b). (5-1)
Since we're told we don't need to judge if it is a try or not, this means that if at any point in the flight of the ball it no longer has a chance of going in without being deflected, it can no longer be a 3.

5.2.1C refers to a ball thrown to the basket that is touched such that it "continues in flight". The distinction is deflection in a new direction vs. a mere touch.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 02:26pm.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Good point. I know when the rule was changed, the intent was to take away the judgment of whether it was a pass or a try when an "alley oop" from outside the arc went into the basket.

The case play you cite speaks of a try being "short and below the rim." I see this as a long heave (perhaps near the end of a quarter) that hits another player, but bounces into the basket.

I see your point that a hard pass that hits another player's head behind the arc and goes into the basket should be seen in the same light. But I don't agree that it "was obviously short and below the ring" at the time it hit the player. Most shots begin "obviously short and below the ring" until such time as they attain the height and distance to reach the goal.

Given the continued convoluted way the NFHS rules and case books are written and edited, I shouldn't be surprised by this. Clarity is hardly a priority for the rules writers and editors.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 08:08pm
Administrator

I am jumping into the fray some what late, but there is another way to approach theOP whether it is NFHS or NCAA Men's/Women's.

Team A has the ball for a throw-in on the sideline in its front court. A1's throw-in is touched by B1 while the ball is in the cylinder above Team A's basket. What do we have?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see your point that a hard pass that hits another player's head behind the arc and goes into the basket should be seen in the same light. But I don't agree that it "was obviously short and below the ring" at the time it hit the player. Most shots begin "obviously short and below the ring" until such time as they attain the height and distance to reach the goal.
Certainly if the trajectory is such that it was going in the general vicinity of the rim, you may be left with calling it a 3 but obviously short is judging the trajectory of the ball to be not toward the basket or not strong enough that it will rise that high. 99% of all thrown balls in a basketball game are nowhere near a direction or height which might take them into the basket...those were not meant to be 3's.

The thrown ball rule was written WITHOUT considering the complication of a deflection. It was only written to cover a ball that was released in such a way that it might or might not be a try as released but goes in is to be called a 3. It was never intend to be applied to a ball that was thrown no where near a path that would go in but was batted in by someone else.

Too many people try to convolute the thrown ball case with the the case of a 3-point try that is tipped by a defender. The latter case was also written to cover a basic play, not one complicated by an unrelated issue. It is intending to describe a play where a defender, just inside the 3-point line tips the ball just as it comes out of the shooter's hands but it still goes in...that a defender can't cause a 3 to become a 2 just by touching the ball. This was written before the thrown-ball rule and was made to consider that what-if. It was never meant to apply to a case where a clear pass is batted into the basket.

Those two cases are simply apples and oranges. They were never meant to be combined to come up with a nonsensical ruling where a skip pass from one elbow to the other, in a line that would not come within 20 feet of the basket and is batted by a defender into the basket would be ruled a 3.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 08:37pm.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am jumping into the fray some what late, but there is another way to approach theOP whether it is NFHS or NCAA Men's/Women's.

Team A has the ball for a throw-in on the sideline in its front court. A1's throw-in is touched by B1 while the ball is in the cylinder above Team A's basket. What do we have?

MTD, Sr.
Players that can jump.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 09:09pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Basket interference.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
I don't see what this play has to do with this thread. Maybe I'm just dense.

You might as well say "the deflected ball is above the height of the rim and ooks like it might enter the basket when A1 or B1 swats it away. What do you have?" (Or B1 commits a foul. OR B1 swings the elbows. ...)

Answer: Another, completely separate, interesting play.
Old Sat Nov 02, 2013, 01:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Citation Camron Rust ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Throw-in thrown toward throw-in team's basket deflects off a defender standing outside the three-point arc and goes through the basket. Result is two points due to the fact that the "throw" did not originate "from the field" as requisite in 5-2-1. True or False?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
4.41.4 SITUATION B: A1’s three-point try is short and below ring level when it hits the shoulder of: (a) A2; or (b) B1 and rebounds to the backboard and through the basket. RULING: The three-point try ended when it was obviously short and below the ring. However, since a live ball went through the basket, two points are scored in both (a) and (b). (5-1)
Answer: True.

5-2: A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who
is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball
that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal
from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown.
See 4-5-4.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 02, 2013 at 01:49pm.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

This question showed up on the MHSAA postseason exam:

A5 is making a throw-in from the frontcourt sideline. She throws the ball toward A2, who is standing in the lane. However, B3 is strongly contesting the throw-in. B3 is outside the three-point arc when she deflects the throw-in pass. After the deflection by B3, the ball enters Team A’s basket. The officials will properly rule that:

a. Team A has violated the throw-in provisions, and award Team B a throw-in.
b. Team A has scored three points.
c. Team A has scored two points.
d. Team A gets another throw-in, but no points are scored.

Origionally I had thought answer was B, but now thanks to this post I'm now going with C.

Thanks!