The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
If B1 swings her elbows and makes non-incidental contact with an elbow to the head of A1, what type of foul can result?

My answer was Flagrant..based on many discussions here that above the shoulder contact with an elbow is a Flagrant foul. The answer given was it could be common, Intentional or Flagrant.

Thoughts?
The key word in the post is HER. That's why it could be common.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 06:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Clear As A Bell ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
If B1 swings her elbows and makes non-incidental contact with an elbow to the head of A1, what type of foul can result?
The NFHS is pretty clear on what type of foul they want charged here.

2012-13 Points Of Emphasis
b. Examples of illegal contact above the shoulders and resulting penalties.
2. An elbow in movement but not excessive should be an intentional foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

I know this was printed in the points of emphasis section, but is it repeated in the actual rules anywhere (specifically in the definition of each type of foul in Rule 4 or in Rule 10)? I've looked without success in locating it.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

And the clarification we were given was that "movement" was in reference to the rest of the body.

If I move my body, my elbows come along for free...that is not elbow movement. If I move my elbows without the rest of the body, that is elbow movement.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 02:41pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And the clarification we were given was that "movement" was in reference to the rest of the body.

If I move my body, my elbows come along for free...that is not elbow movement. If I move my elbows without the rest of the body, that is elbow movement.
Seems to me then you would never need #2, only stationary elbow and excessive elbow movement. Is this true or am I missing something?
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 02:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Four different levels of elbow contact.
1. Incidental, no foul. (B1 hits A1's geographically stationary elbow with his head).
2. Common foul. (A1 steps into his throw or pivot, hitting B1 in the head. No movement of the elbows beyond what the body is doing).
3. Intentional foul. (Elbows flying, or player chinning up and pivoting in a way that puts other players at risk. I consider this foul when it's an action that could have warranted an elbow violation call).
4. Flagrant. (intentional or reckless elbows).

Deciding which is typically judgment. The NFHS wanted to find a way to codify the judgment, but only managed to increase confusion and widen the area of interpretation.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Seems to me then you would never need #2, only stationary elbow and excessive elbow movement. Is this true or am I missing something?
Yes. See what Adam said. His comments are just about perfect...maybe even perfect!
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 05:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I know this was printed in the points of emphasis section, but is it repeated in the actual rules anywhere? I've looked without success in locating it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The NFHS wanted to find a way to codify the judgment, but only managed to increase confusion and widen the area of interpretation.
... and they certainly did a great job of confusing officials, and a great job of widening the area of interpretation. It's a double win for the NFHS.

And, as in the backcourt/throwin/team control exception, how will rookies learn these swinging elbow fouls, of various degrees, once the Point of Emphasis disappears into the mist?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 05:39pm.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 08:48am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Four different levels of elbow contact.
1. Incidental, no foul. (B1 hits A1's geographically stationary elbow with his head).
2. Common foul. (A1 steps into his throw or pivot, hitting B1 in the head. No movement of the elbows beyond what the body is doing).
3. Intentional foul. (Elbows flying, or player chinning up and pivoting in a way that puts other players at risk. I consider this foul when it's an action that could have warranted an elbow violation call).
4. Flagrant. (intentional or reckless elbows).

Deciding which is typically judgment. The NFHS wanted to find a way to codify the judgment, but only managed to increase confusion and widen the area of interpretation.
What is the difference in the pivot in #2 and #3? Is it #3 is excessive movement with the elbows moving faster than body but not directly seeking out to make contact?
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

While part of me can't believe we are still discussing this the other part of me is curious how my new pool will call it compared to my last pool. Find out tomorrow night!
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 12:13pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
This elbow is moving faster than his body, in my opinion it's intentional.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
This elbow is moving faster than his body, in my opinion it's intentional.
Agree, he was moving elbow from one side of his torso to the other and raising from low to high while also turning. Intentional Foul.

It would have been different if he had raised them before turning and didn't bring them across his body...and didn't lead with them.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2014, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Had a play last night I was trying to get some clarification on and I don't have my rule book handy. We had a rebounder come down and start swinging elbows. No contact was made with any of them. My partner calls a technical for excessive elbows. I asked if there was contact made and his reply was that it didn't matter. I let him take the call and he got a bunch of crap for it.

After the game we were discussing it and I told him I thought it there was swinging and no contact that it was a violation, and if there was contact the penalty would depend on the severity of the contact. Plus I told him I thought it was an intentional foul rather than a technical. He was certain he had called it right and that if there WERE any contact it was flagrant and auto ejection.

This thread discusses the various degrees of contact and how they should be penalized but it doesn't really discuss if no contact is made. Am I thinking right that elbows with no contact is just a violation? Bonus points if you know the rules citation.

Last edited by ballgame99; Wed Oct 01, 2014 at 09:36am.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2014, 09:46am
Courageous When Prudent

I keep my rule book in my bag just for such locker room discussions.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2014, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Had a play last night I was trying to get some clarification on and I don't have my rule book handy. We had a rebounder come down and start swinging elbows. No contact was made with any of them. My partner calls a technical for excessive elbows. I asked if there was contact made and his reply was that it didn't matter. I let him take the call and he got a bunch of crap for it.

After the game we were discussing it and I told him I thought it there was swinging and no contact that it was a violation, and if there was contact the penalty would depend on the severity of the contact. Plus I told him I thought it was an intentional foul rather than a technical. He was certain he had called it right and that if there WERE any contact it was flagrant and auto ejection.

This thread discusses the various degrees of contact and how they should be penalized but it doesn't really discuss if no contact is made. Am I thinking right that elbows with no contact is just a violation? Bonus points if you know the rules citation.
NFHS 9-13-1

A player shall not excessively swing his/her arms(s) or elbow(s), even without contacting an opponent.

There's nothing in Rule 10 under Player Technicals regarding elbows. If your partner thought A1 was trying to intimidate B1 by swinging his elbows he could possibly consider 10-3-6c (Baiting or taunting) but other than that the menu is limited regarding live-ball elbow contact: Nothing, common/PC/TC, IF or FF. Since there wasn't any contact the violation more than likely would have been the proper call.

Make a polite suggestion should you see him again that he either read his rule book or pay a visit to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I keep my rule book in my bag just for such locker room discussions.
And yeah, this has been known to help as well.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Wed Oct 01, 2014 at 09:58am.