Thread: Elbow Swing
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 01, 2014, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Had a play last night I was trying to get some clarification on and I don't have my rule book handy. We had a rebounder come down and start swinging elbows. No contact was made with any of them. My partner calls a technical for excessive elbows. I asked if there was contact made and his reply was that it didn't matter. I let him take the call and he got a bunch of crap for it.

After the game we were discussing it and I told him I thought it there was swinging and no contact that it was a violation, and if there was contact the penalty would depend on the severity of the contact. Plus I told him I thought it was an intentional foul rather than a technical. He was certain he had called it right and that if there WERE any contact it was flagrant and auto ejection.

This thread discusses the various degrees of contact and how they should be penalized but it doesn't really discuss if no contact is made. Am I thinking right that elbows with no contact is just a violation? Bonus points if you know the rules citation.
NFHS 9-13-1

A player shall not excessively swing his/her arms(s) or elbow(s), even without contacting an opponent.

There's nothing in Rule 10 under Player Technicals regarding elbows. If your partner thought A1 was trying to intimidate B1 by swinging his elbows he could possibly consider 10-3-6c (Baiting or taunting) but other than that the menu is limited regarding live-ball elbow contact: Nothing, common/PC/TC, IF or FF. Since there wasn't any contact the violation more than likely would have been the proper call.

Make a polite suggestion should you see him again that he either read his rule book or pay a visit to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I keep my rule book in my bag just for such locker room discussions.
And yeah, this has been known to help as well.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Wed Oct 01, 2014 at 09:58am.