The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 06:46am
C'mon man!!

Shirt untucked

So around these parts, it seems to be that officials just ask the players to tuck in their shorts before we resume play. The NFHS book is pretty clear that any player with an untucked shirt must leave the game and return once the situation is remedied and at the next legal time to substitute.
What do you all do in your little corners and what are your thoughts on our practice?
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Don't be an OOO.

Yes, it's a rule. However, I can only remember sending off one player in a JV contest years ago. It isn't something that gets a lot of focus from me or those here in the commonwealth.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 07:13am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I won't let a player in the game, at the table, if his shirt is untucked.

If there is a dead ball (foul shot, inbounding) and I have the opportunity to say something to a player, I'll tell them to tuck it in.

I have, on occasion come across that "one player" who likes to pull his shirt out intentionally. He, I have reminded, and then asked him to leave the game when he does it repetitively, and said something to his coach.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
The NFHS book is pretty clear that any player with an untucked shirt must leave the game and return once the
That's not how I remember it -- do you have a reference (I don't have my case book here). I remember it that if they refuse, or if they intentionally pull it out, then send them off.

And, yes, it's an "address it first before you send them off" type of rule.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

*NFHS 3.3.5 SITUATION A: B1 fouls A1. Just before A1 goes to the line for a one-and-one, the official observes: (a) A1 pull the jersey out of his/her pants; or (b) A1’s pants being worn below the hips. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 will be directed to put the jersey in the pants or pull up the pants, and must leave the game immediately following his/her last free throw(s). The lane is cleared for the free throw and Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in, whether or not the last free throw is successful. COMMENT: A charged time-out by Team A does not alter the requirement for A1 to leave the game.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 11:06am
Do not give a damn!!

In the real world we allow them every opportunity to put their shirt back in their pants/shorts in order to play. I am not taking a kid out of the game just because it is untucked. For one many jerseys do not fit properly or are short. If we took players out of the game every time, we would be doing this 20 times a game.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
*NFHS 3.3.5 SITUATION A: B1 fouls A1. Just before A1 goes to the line for a one-and-one, the official observes: (a) A1 pull the jersey out of his/her pants; or (b) A1’s pants being worn below the hips. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 will be directed to put the jersey in the pants or pull up the pants, and must leave the game immediately following his/her last free throw(s). The lane is cleared for the free throw and Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in, whether or not the last free throw is successful. COMMENT: A charged time-out by Team A does not alter the requirement for A1 to leave the game.
right. (a) says "pull," meaning an intentional act. The OP asks about "with an untucked shirt" which could just be from normal play or from an opponent's action.

When in doubt, assume the latter.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
In the real world we allow them every opportunity to put their shirt back in their pants/shorts in order to play. I am not taking a kid out of the game just because it is untucked. For one many jerseys do not fit properly or are short. If we took players out of the game every time, we would be doing this 20 times a game.

Peace
+1

Exactly my thoughts on this.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 12:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Two seasons ago, I reminded the same player two or three times in the first half. We decided at half time to send him out if it happened again. First dead ball of the third quarter, he's got it untucked (all the way) again. I ask the coach for a sub, and let him know why.

His shirt miraculously fit better the rest of the game, and stayed tucked.
I had him two days later, and this time there were no half-time miracles needed. It stayed tucked the entire game, and he and I had a pretty good raport that game.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 04:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Two seasons ago, I reminded the same player two or three times in the first half. We decided at half time to send him out if it happened again. First dead ball of the third quarter, he's got it untucked (all the way) again. I ask the coach for a sub, and let him know why.

I had him two days later, and this time there were no half-time miracles needed. It stayed tucked the entire game, and he and I had a pretty good raport that game.
+1 On multiple violations and obvious disregard for being told, I'm all for sending one out. I've seen it/done it 3 or 4 times.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

The only time I ever did it was 15 years ago in Georgia. Before I did it, I told the player's coach, “Coach, do me a favor. Tell #xx to keep his shirt in. I’ve already mentioned it to him a couple of times.” When I did it, the coach gave his kid one of those “if looks could kill” stares. When the kid came back into the game he apologized to me.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 06:02pm
We don't rent pigs

One of the few things I ever heard Bill Walton say that I liked:

"They could keep them in if they wanted to. You never see John Stockton with his untucked."

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 06:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Same Old, Same Old ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I won't let a player in the game, at the table, if his shirt is untucked. If there is a dead ball (foul shot, inbounding) and I have the opportunity to say something to a player, I'll tell them to tuck it in. I have, on occasion come across that "one player" who likes to pull his shirt out intentionally. He, I have reminded, and then asked him to leave the game when he does it repetitively, and said something to his coach.
Same way we handle it here in my little corner of Connecticut.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 02:12am
C'mon man!!

3-3-5: A player not wearing the pants/skirt properly and above the hips and/or a player not tucking in a team jersey (front and back) designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt, shall be directed to leave the game as in 3-3-4; a charged TO shall not alter this requirement.

I can see how the wording of this can mean if you ask someone to tuck in their shirt and they don't, then you direct them to leave the game. I can also read it the other way.

I am really ok with either one and with the suggestions already mentioned that if one or two reminders don't fix the problem then send them out. I do bet however that if you sent out the first person who did it in the game you wouldn't have any issues for the rest of that game and if all of the officials did it, you wouldn't have any issues ever. Except when the opposing team learns that if they untuck the star players shirt they will have to sit If it was enforced early and often, the issue would disappear altogether. Go John Stockton!!!
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Except when the opposing team learns that if they untuck the star players shirt they will have to sit
We actually discussed that scenario in a rules interpretation years ago. The decision was to T the kid who pulled out the opponent's jersey

In terms of the Stockton comments, I've used a variation of that when kids think I'm too picky. I'll tell them, "Hey, in the (W)NBA players get fined for having their jersey hanging out. If they can do it, you can do it."