The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

ASA Shirt

Can the ASA light blue pullover shirt with the ASA letters on the chest be purchased from anywhere other than the ASA website? Sorry to say,their shirt is the pits.It is too heavy for summer time wear and the collar looks like crap.I wear Cliff Keen shirts for NFHS and NCAA which is a lot better looking and more comfortable than the ASA "official" shirt.

Jeff
NFHS Umpire
NCAA Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo99
Can the ASA light blue pullover shirt with the ASA letters on the chest be purchased from anywhere other than the ASA website?
Nope. (Extraneous text)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

We spoke about this back in the winter. I contacted ASA Uniforms people and told them this as well as the pocket needs to come back. I hardly think they listen but we can always hope.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

I just got a response back from Lesters,and they said it would be a trademark issue and wont do it.It is a shame ASA puts out a bad shirt and has the market cornered as well.I wouldnt mind paying 10 bucks more for a Cliff Keen quality shirt,but I guess it is better than the Elbeco.

Jeff
NFHS Umpire
NCAA Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo99
Can the ASA light blue pullover shirt with the ASA letters on the chest be purchased from anywhere other than the ASA website? Sorry to say,their shirt is the pits.It is too heavy for summer time wear and the collar looks like crap.I wear Cliff Keen shirts for NFHS and NCAA which is a lot better looking and more comfortable than the ASA "official" shirt.

Jeff
NFHS Umpire
NCAA Umpire
ASA Umpire
Actually, you can purchase it from any ASA dealer, not just Officialgear.com. But, it will be the same ASA shirt. Forward your complaints about the quality of the shirts to Walter Sparks; last I heard, he was still the chair of the ASA Umpire Uniform subcommittee.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
I want the ballbags with the elastic back too!!! I have two that I am nursing along....the plain bag w/ no elastic sucks....
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

I just received a new ASA shirt from "Official Gear" and was surprised at how heavy it seemed. Much prefer the Cliff Keen shirts, especially the 2006 version which is advertised as a lighter weave and "wicking effect" material.

And what's up with no pocket on the ASA shirt? Now I have to stick my lineup holder in my ballbag, where it get bent-to-heck by balls and brushes.

The ASA hats seem a little bit funky, too. The crown is very high with a squarish "train engineer" look that I don't care for.

On a positive note, I also recently received a pair of the new Honig's "combo" pants in dark navy blue. They are comfortable and look to be quite durable. They'll come in handy for double headers or games where you're not sure if you have the bases or the plate.

But check this out. I just found a new, still-in-the-wrapper Elbeco button up on eBay for three bucks!

I'm breaking that bad boy out in some "unsanctioned" summer leagues when I want to go old skool!

Last edited by BretMan; Wed May 24, 2006 at 09:57pm.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
And what's up with no pocket on the ASA shirt? Now I have to stick my lineup holder in my ballbag, where it get bent-to-heck by balls and brushes.
In the past, I have been told that it was intentionally specified "no pocket". During the Elbeco years, umpires were gigged for putting lineup card holders or pens or pencils in the shirt pocket; that isn't where NUS wants them, they believe it looks bad, and argued if you got hit by a ball there, the pens would leak all over your shirt.

The ASA ball bags have a pen holder slot sewn in, so you can keep your pen there (I use a pen, rather than a pencil; the ink is clearer, never needs sharpening, point doesn't break). One of the ball bag slots also can hold a lineup card holder, but I don't like that; at times, particularly with two balls in the bag, it becomes a struggle to get it out. What I have found is that the ASA lineup card holder fits very neatly and efficiently in my right back pants pocket, and being the only thing there, is easily removed and replaced.

And, I have never been gigged by an evaluator, either ASA or NCAA, for that system. But, Bret, not in the shirt pocket, even when you have one.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
In the past, I have been told that it was intentionally specified "no pocket". During the Elbeco years, umpires were gigged for putting lineup card holders or pens or pencils in the shirt pocket; that isn't where NUS wants them, they believe it looks bad, and argued if you got hit by a ball there, the pens would leak all over your shirt.

The ASA ball bags have a pen holder slot sewn in, so you can keep your pen there (I use a pen, rather than a pencil; the ink is clearer, never needs sharpening, point doesn't break). One of the ball bag slots also can hold a lineup card holder, but I don't like that; at times, particularly with two balls in the bag, it becomes a struggle to get it out. What I have found is that the ASA lineup card holder fits very neatly and efficiently in my right back pants pocket, and being the only thing there, is easily removed and replaced.

And, I have never been gigged by an evaluator, either ASA or NCAA, for that system. But, Bret, not in the shirt pocket, even when you have one.
Steve,

I do the same thing. Line-up card holder in my back pocket, pen in bag when working tournament where I am carrying more than one ball.

BTW, there are two pockets and the pen/pencil slot in the bags. I have found that if you snip the stitching on one side of the slot for the pen, that creates a nice sized place for a line-up card holder.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Is it a complete no no to keep your brush in your back pocket while you are the PU? I have found it is easier for me to get it from there. Also I have an older version of the ASA line-up holder which is flexible and a little smaller than the new stiffer, bigger ones. It will not even fit in the correct spot in my ASA ball bag so I just put it in the same compartment as the balls but I am afraid it will get beat up there. Also I have a question. I will be doing ASA Class A State Tourney and want to know this. With nobody on base and ball 4 to the batter, as the PU should the mask come off as you watch the batter/ruuner go to first? I see the NCAA umpires do this but didn't know if everyone should be doing this. Dave
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Is it a complete no no to keep your brush in your back pocket while you are the PU? I have found it is easier for me to get it from there. Also I have an older version of the ASA line-up holder which is flexible and a little smaller than the new stiffer, bigger ones. It will not even fit in the correct spot in my ASA ball bag so I just put it in the same compartment as the balls but I am afraid it will get beat up there. Also I have a question. I will be doing ASA Class A State Tourney and want to know this. With nobody on base and ball 4 to the batter, as the PU should the mask come off as you watch the batter/ruuner go to first? I see the NCAA umpires do this but didn't know if everyone should be doing this. Dave
i do that and believe we all should on every B to BR, regardless of rule set or runners.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
That just about sets the record for a world-class hijack! Congratulations!
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Must be like SP> No brushes in the back pocket. Saw a UIC make reference of it at a National.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

World's best ball bag (JMO, of course):

Ump-Attire Ball Bag

Generous size. Quality construction. Heavy fabric. Bruch pocket actually big enough to easily get the brush in and out. Indicator pocket. Pen/pencil pocket. My only rap on it is the navy blue version has faded a bit (not too bad, but just not sharp looking anymore). The rear zippered pocket is great for car keys.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

I might as well add my $.02.

Don't have a problem with the ASA shirts, other than the funky collar, even in the Texas heat and humidity. Have no need for a pocket on any of my shirts, as it is, IMO, very unprofessional looking to put anything there.

The problem with storing stuff in the ball bag can easily be eliminated by wearing two ball bags, which I do at every level of play. I don't have any problems with carrying four balls, my line-up holder, my pencil, and my brush, though out of habit the brush frequently "slips" in to my back pocket some way.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.