The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 06:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

One Minute Left ???

Does anyone use an intra-crew unofficial signal to let your partner know that there's only a short time left in the period (one minute) so as to not be surprised by, and possibly miss, a close call (shot released) at the end of the period.

Over the past thirty-two years, we've had a lot of unofficial signals for this, head patting (like the clock violation signal), point to your wrist (I guess that it would be point to your cell phone now), single finger (for one minute), point to clock and turn finger clockwise (mimicking a clock), etc.

For most of my thirty-two years, many of us were reluctant to use any such signal at all, because we had an assistant interpreter, he was a by the book guy (no signal for this in the book), who also ran our training committee, who discouraged us from using any such signal. When questioned about why he discouraged such signals, he always responded that both of us should know how much time is left.

He retired a few years ago and now we're left hanging in the wind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 06:15am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Does anyone use an intra-crew unofficial signal to let your partner know that there's only a short time left in the period (one minute) so as to not be surprised by, and possibly miss, a close call (shot released) at the end of the period.

Over the past thirty-two years, we've had a lot of unofficial signals for this, head patting (like the clock violation signal), point to your wrist (I guess that it would be point to your cell phone now), single finger (for one minute), point to clock and turn finger clockwise (mimicking a clock), etc.

For most of my thirty-two years, many of us were reluctant to use any such signal at all, because we had an assistant interpreter, he was a by the book guy (no signal for this in the book), who also ran our training committee, who discouraged us from using any such signal. When questioned about why he discouraged such signals, he always responded that both of us should know how much time is left.

Although you both should know how much time is on the clock, it is good for the crew to know that the rest of the crew knows. End of game good shot/late shot situations are often thought of as the most important play of the game if it is a one posession ball game. Getting this call is crucial and your crew will sink or swim depending on if you got it right or not. It looks awfully bad when the covering official loses track of time and isn't even remotely thinking about if the shot is off in time. The communication between the crew I think is appropriate here. We use a one finger point to our Ps to verify they check the clock and know the time remaining. Some use the head pat thing but I will agree this can be confused with shot clock violation signiling so I don't like it.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 07:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I have to ask, did you even read the rest of the thread?

(Please don't quote all the posts in this thread about that issue.)
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 08:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Left hanging? You guys afraid to step out on your own and throw caution to the wind?
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 01:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Minute Not Necessarily The Same As Last Shot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I have to ask, did you even read the rest of the thread?
Did you read my post? I'm not talking about last second shot responsibility, I have already posted our unofficial/official IAABO chest thump for that. I'm talking about when the clock begins to wind down under a minute, which may not necessarily be the same as the last shot of the period. In the last minutes of play in any period, especially in a lop sided game, the kids may just keep on "playing basketball", not setting up for a last second shot. With only two officials here in The Land That Time Forgot, sometimes the two officials just get caught up in the up, and down, action on the court. If both of us don't know that there is less than a minute left, then there will certainly not be a last second shot responsibility signal. I am embarrassed to tell you how many times in thirty-two years that I have been surprised when the horn sounded to end a period. If one of us notices that there is about a minute left, he should communicate that with his partner, who, right, or wrong, might not know.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 01:57pm.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Same Old, Same Old ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Left hanging? You guys afraid to step out on your own and throw caution to the wind?
The assistant interpreter/training committee official who discouraged many from using such a signal had a far reaching effect on many officials on our local board. He was one of our top officials for many years, doing a state final almost every year for over twenty-five years. He was a mentor to many officials, including me, and still has many disciples. Our present group of interpreters/training committee officials seem to be reluctant to "teach" any unofficial signals, maybe due to pressure from IAABO "above".

That's why we have four different unofficial signals rattling around (head patting, point to your wrist, single finger, point to clock and turn finger clockwise), or no signal. If I can get an often used signal from you guys, I might step up and suggest it to the interpreter, and training committee.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 01:57pm.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The assistant interpreter/training committee official who discouraged many from using such a signal had a far reaching effect on many officials on our local board. He was one of our top officials for many years, doing a state final almost every year for over twenty-five years. He was a mentor to many officials, including me, and still has many disciples. Our present group of interpreters/training committee officials seem to be reluctant to "teach" any unofficial signals, maybe due to pressure from IAABO "above".

That's why we have four different unofficial signals rattling around (head patting, point to your wrist, single finger, point to clock and turn finger clockwise), or no signal. If I can get an often used signal from you guys, I might step up and suggest it to the interpreter, and training committee.
One finger (no, not that finger) is used in the second half of college games because of the shot-clock rule.

One finger is used in the first half because it's used in the second half.

One finger is used in HS games because it's used in college games.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 03:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Did you read my post? I'm not talking about last second shot responsibility,
My bad

Quote:
Quote:
I have already posted our unofficial/official IAABO chest thump for that. I'm talking about when the clock begins to wind down under a minute, which may not necessarily be the same as the last shot of the period. In the last minutes of play in any period, especially in a lop sided game, the kids may just keep on "playing basketball", not setting up for a last second shot. With only two officials here in The Land That Time Forgot, sometimes the two officials just get caught up in the up, and down, action on the court. If both of us don't know that there is less than a minute left, then there will certainly not be a last second shot responsibility signal. I am embarrassed to tell you how many times in thirty-two years that I have been surprised when the horn sounded to end a period. If one of us notices that there is about a minute left, he should communicate that with his partner, who, right, or wrong, might not know.
The answer is the same, for most of us, regardless of what's going on with 60 seconds left.

When there will be a last second shot, we'll do the signals again sometimes if there's a change in possession.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 04:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
The answer is the same, for most of us, regardless of what's going on with 60 seconds left. When there will be a last second shot, we'll do the signals again sometimes if there's a change in possession.
Quote:
As for the last second shot, here, we point one finger in the air. The official who has the last shot chest bumps his palm.
Still confused? Clock winding down? One finger. I've got last shot? Chest bump. I like what I hear, sounds like what I would like to do, but how are the answers the same?

Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 05:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Because when we do this, we acknowledge who has the last shot, even if there's 60 seconds left. Although frankly, I tend to wait until about 30 seconds or so to do anything.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Whatever your CREW chooses to do...

I would strongly suggest to at least pre-game it so that you are all uniform and using the same signals...also, you have all agreed on using them and you all understand what these signals mean.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 08:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Because when we do this, we acknowledge who has the last shot, even if there's 60 seconds left. Although frankly, I tend to wait until about 30 seconds or so to do anything.
Same here...in college games I like to do it at 35 since it's the last possible shot clock scenario also.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Exactly.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by Adam; Wed Oct 09, 2013 at 07:33am. Reason: removing a reference
Old Tue Oct 08, 2013, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

1 minute so we get the shot clock right.

Last shot with about 5 or 10 seconds left.
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 08:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Billy, you've been officiating for 32 years. You need to help set the tone for your association. You shouldn't be waiting for guys to tell you what is acceptable.