The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 07:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Interesting, because whenever I make any signal not listed in the book during a camp or observation I get dinged for it.
Signals toward your partners? Like the hook 'em Horns signal to make sure the crew knows the bonus is in effect? Acknowledging who has the last shot?

I can see unauthorized signals towards the table being dinged.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 10:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Interesting, because whenever I make any signal not listed in the book during a camp or observation I get dinged for it.
Well considering that the "kick signal" was used for years as well as the new "tip signal" long before they were approved, I guess it depends on what the information you are sending.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 06, 2013, 03:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Mom Will Be So Proud ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Billy is right.
How do I bronze a Forum post?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 06, 2013, 07:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Had a conference clinic today. Rules interpreter told us that on illegal screen calls we need to use any signal we can think of that most accurately describes the act when reporting to the table.
Old Sun Oct 06, 2013, 10:08pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Had a conference clinic today. Rules interpreter told us that on illegal screen calls we need to use any signal we can think of that most accurately describes the act when reporting to the table.
Back on track! College I presume?

I've been told not to do the "hook 'em horns" signal, but rather the "two index fingers" to signal single bonus. However, during play (perhaps when one team is stalling for final shot), I find the horns signal is much quicker.

As someone else mentioned the "last shot" signal is unofficial but should be essential. Here we just pat our chest, how is it done in other areas?
Old Sun Oct 06, 2013, 10:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

I just don't see why at any level an evaluator would ding intra-crew signals. They should be happy you are communicating.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 05:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tauromachia ...

Quote:
I've been told not to do the "hook 'em horns" signal, but rather the "two index fingers" to signal single bonus.
We've been instructed not to use the "hook 'em horns" signal when, as the lead, administering a one and one free throw. Nothing has been said to us about intra-crew one and one signals.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here we just pat our chest, how is it done in other areas?
that's completely backwards, as I'd expect from you and your area. You need to move into this century.

The correct mechanic is to give a chest bump to your palm.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 08:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I've been told not to do the "hook 'em horns" signal, but rather the "two index fingers" to signal single bonus. However, during play (perhaps when one team is stalling for final shot), I find the horns signal is much quicker.
Wow, talk about OOO (Overly Observational Observers).

As for the last second shot, here, we point one finger in the air. The official who has the last shot chest bumps his palm.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
As for the last second shot, here, we point one finger in the air. The official who has the last shot chest bumps his palm.
Thank you. I absolutely despise seeing guys pat their head to indicate a last second shot. I'm waiting for them to rub their tummy as well.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Thank you. I absolutely despise seeing guys pat their head to indicate a last second shot. I'm waiting for them to rub their tummy as well.
2 years ago IAABO published an article in the sportorial advising against people patting their head. This was done as it could lead to confusion due to it being the signal for a shot clock violation in the NCAA.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 10:52am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
that's completely backwards, as I'd expect from you and your area. You need to move into this century.

The correct mechanic is to give a chest bump to your palm.
Speaking of funky signals, have you seen the NBA "one minute left" signal??
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 11:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Back on track! College I presume?

As someone else mentioned the "last shot" signal is unofficial but should be essential. Here we just pat our chest, how is it done in other areas?

There is always going to be someone that has a bug up someone's backside about something. That does not mean ultimately you listen to them.

I had one clinician tell me not to hold my finger up for a last second shot. Then I was told by another clinician one make sure you communicate with your partners near the end of the with a finger up. Both were NCAA tournament officials and one worked the Final Four. One assigned a college league, and both worked in the same basic conferences. I just went back to what I was doing after the one told me to do something that was never a problem.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Speaking of funky signals, have you seen the NBA "one minute left" signal??
Said signal is to signify the clock will stop after a made basket...you'll see that same signal used with at the 2 minute mark of the 4th/OT.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 12:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
That was how I was initially learned.