The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 12:50am
AremRed

"Unofficial" signals

Any rule set really, but specifically NFHS. What unofficial signals do you use? Are there ones you avoid? This could include anything from signals after fouls to communication signals between partners.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 01:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I avoid the foul tip like the plague on blocked shots.

We communicate that we're in the bonus once we get to the sixth team foul.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 05:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO stuff

Connecticut is 100% IAABO, and this is not an official IAABO signal. We're a bunch of rebels here in the Land Of Steady Habits. In fact, were more like a motorcycle gang than an officiating organization.

Tapping one's chest is the IAABO signal that one has the coverage on the last shot. It's not in the official IAABO signal chart, but it is in the IAABO mechanics manual, so you decide if it's an "official," or "unofficial", IAABO signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
... communication signals between partners.
Veteran old timers, here in my little corner of Connecticut, will, during a break in the action, extend their arm, with a fist, toward their partner, and rotate their fist clockwise, and counterclockwise, in a ratcheting manner. This is our secret code for, "It's getting a little too physical out here. Let's tighten it up a little". Of course, now that I've told you, I'm going to have to kill you.

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we use these three signals, even though they're not in the stupid official IAABO signal chart.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by Adam; Sat Oct 05, 2013 at 08:29am. Reason: education
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 06:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Delayed dead ball is a signal under NF rules. If you use NF rules, then that would be appropriate.

I have been known to use the "tip signal" on out of bounds play. I have also used the "Gator chop" on held balls that were topped by a defender. No one has ever cared either way.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 06:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid IAABO Mechancs Manual ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Delayed dead ball is a signal under NF rules. If you use NF rules, then that would be appropriate.
Please don't get me started. I don't know why IAABO switched from NFHS mechanics to IAABO mechanics to begin with.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 07:04am
Do not give a damn!!

I am not talking about switching, just stating that signal is in the rulebook. It is not a "special" mechanic to a state or organization, this was in the actual rulebook, not the mechanics book. Or is this something they leave out with those combined books?

Peace
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 07:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Again, Stupid IAABO Signal Chart ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
...signal is in the rulebook ... the actual rulebook, not the mechanics book. Or is this something they leave out with those combined books?
IAABO members do not get an actual NFHS rulebook, just the IAABO version of War and Peace, a combined IAABO handbook, NFHS rulebook (without a NFHS signal chart), NFHS casebook, an IAABO Two Person manual, an IAABO Three Person manual, and an IAABO signal chart. We have been instructed to only use official IAABO high school signals, but, as I said earlier, we're a bunch of rebels here in the Constitution State.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 05, 2013 at 07:21am.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

In HS, I will use "hit to the head", "knee", and "hook / wrap" as additional signals after illiegal use of hands, push, hold when reporting to the table.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 08:17am
Courageous When Prudent

When communicating information with my partners, the last thing I'm worrying about is whether or not it is an "official" signal.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 08:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO members do not get an actual NFHS rulebook, just the IAABO version of War and Peace, a combined IAABO handbook, NFHS rulebook (without a NFHS signal chart), NFHS casebook, an IAABO Two Person manual, an IAABO Three Person manual, and an IAABO signal chart. We have been instructed to only use official IAABO high school signals, but, as I said earlier, we're a bunch of rebels here in the Constitution State.
Billy is right, IAABO states don't get NFHS rule books, we get IAABO books tht are basically reprinted NFHS books with their (IAABO) own signal charts; but it all comes down to where you work. I wasn't even aware the delayed dead ball signal isn't in the book. We use it here, and by no means would I consider going over-the-top and call us "rebels."
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 08:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Once Again, Stupid IAABO Signals ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I wasn't even aware the delayed dead ball signal isn't in the book.
How about the five second throw in violation, and the intentional foul excessive contact, signals?

Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 08:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How about the five second throw in violation, and the intentional foul excessive contact, signals?
I've never used the excessive contact signal; the only reason I even know it exists is because of the interwebs. The five second throw in violation, like the delayed dead ball signal, is something I didn't realize wasn't in the book. I admit I don't read the signal chart anymore. Maybe I should.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 09:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Warning, off-topic response.

What a lovely avatar you have.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 05:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hard Foul ...

Quote:
I've never used the excessive contact signal; the only reason I even know it exists is because of the interwebs.
I probably only use the intentional foul excessive contact call once, or twice, a season. It's a great tool to have in your tool belt.

It's perfect for the defensive player, who is going for a block, but in a reckless manner, and knocks the shooter four rows into the bleachers. We have been taught to state, "Hard foul", along with the arms down signal.

This will often prevent some of our more knowledgeable coaches from questioning us about his player, "Going for the ball". It also helps with the less knowledgeable coaches who still question us about his player, "Going for the ball", when we can defuse the situation with a simple, "I called a hard foul coach". Of course, some coaches lack any rational reasoning ability, and no signal, or mechanic, is going to defuse the situation, in which case we can offer to serve the coach some tea. "One lump, or two, coach?"

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 05, 2013 at 05:18pm.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 06:57pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
When communicating information with my partners, the last thing I'm worrying about is whether or not it is an "official" signal.
Interesting, because whenever I make any signal not listed in the book during a camp or observation I get dinged for it.