The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 10:40am
Courageous When Prudent

For those who say A1 travelled on the first play I say the travel was caused by the defender on the floor bumping into A1's legs.
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 10:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

Different Take ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
For those who say A1 traveled on the first play I say the travel was caused by the defender on the floor bumping into A1's legs.
I disagree, but I can see your point. If, indeed, you want to go that route, and I have no major problem with that, then make sure to not count the basket (travel before the shot, no continuation), and go with a common foul (Overtime? Maybe one and one, or double bonus?).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 11:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I disagree, but I can see your point. If, indeed, you want to go that route, and I have no major problem with that, then make sure to not count the basket (travel before the shot, no continuation), and go with a common foul (Overtime? Maybe one and one, or double bonus?).
I'm pretty confident that my D3 supervisors would had no problem with no whistle at all on this play from start to finish. However I think they would have had a problem with calling a travel on a player who got bumped. In that case they would want a common foul to be called on the player on the floor.

But I think, IMHO, that no one would have had a problem with nothing being called here.
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 11:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie ...

Quote:
No one would have had a problem with nothing being called here.
Sounds good.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm pretty confident that my D3 supervisors would had no problem with no whistle at all on this play from start to finish. However I think they would have had a problem with calling a travel on a player who got bumped. In that case they would want a common foul to be called on the player on the floor.

But I think, IMHO, that no one would have had a problem with nothing being called here.
Same here. I can live with a complete "play on" on Play #1 and I think my D3 supervisors would agree with yours. What I obviously can't live with is calling something that really isn't even marginal at one end but then a kid ends up on the floor 17 seconds (3 possessions) of game time later at the other end and nothing is called.

Here's a question for you, BNR, and everyone else: Put yourself in the L's shoes on Play #2. You see that play coming at you and you see the contact an the kid hits the deck. Does the thought, "I need to put a whistle on this, even if it's late, given what happened at the other end" go through your head?

Regardless of the answer I can see how it might because I can't say I wouldn't go through mine.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 02:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Here's a question for you, BNR, and everyone else: Put yourself in the L's shoes on Play #2. You see that play coming at you and you see the contact an the kid hits the deck. Does the thought, "I need to put a whistle on this, even if it's late, given what happened at the other end" go through your head?
I cannot as the L how you really see the entire play from that position. I think the C has to get this. I am not someone who just likes to call a foul just because a player goes to the floor. Yes I might call a foul if I see the entire play, but this looks like and off balance player that hits the floor. I certainly would not be mad if someone called a foul here, I just think it was suspect.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 02:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Consistency ...

Quote:
Given what happened at the other end" go through your head?
I try to look at each play individually, and make I my decision based, pretty much, on that. One exception involves the concept of "mirroring". Something that I, or my partner, called "X" down the other end, or even on this end, during any part of the game, should also be "X" by the other official, or by the same official, on either end, in another part of the game.

Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 04:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Regardless of the answer I can see how it might because I can't say I wouldn't go through mine.
I attended an instructional camp ran by NBA officials this summer. They had a play on video where there is shot block on a lay-up with some contact and no-call. It leads to a fast break the other way, the video is stopped during the fast break and we are asked what the new Lead should be thinking. We finish watching the play and Lead calls an And-1 foul on very little contact on the ensuing lay-up.

The answer to the question to what the new Lead should be thinking was "I can't have a foul for marginal contact on my end." So according to the big boys we should be taking account to what is called on the other end of the court.
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I cannot as the L how you really see the entire play from that position. I think the C has to get this. I am not someone who just likes to call a foul just because a player goes to the floor. Yes I might call a foul if I see the entire play, but this looks like and off balance player that hits the floor. I certainly would not be mad if someone called a foul here, I just think it was suspect.

Peace
Fair point on seeing the whole play here and I'm not someone who likes to call contact just because someone hits the floor either but watching the L's positioning it appears as though he saw the play and if he didn't he should have. The secondary defender - the big who came over - is his responsibility.

Quote:
The answer to the question to what the new Lead should be thinking was "I can't have a foul for marginal contact on my end." So according to the big boys we should be taking account to what is called on the other end of the court.
Which, IMO, is a good answer. So on this play if you're seeing the contact and "that wasn't marginal" is what registers in your head then whistle should go. Meaning if the L followed that thought process he felt the contact on Play 2 was either marginal or he wasn't sure. The lack of a call still has me scratching my head especially since I watched the entire game and saw the quality of calls up to that point.

I guess another question given what they told you at the camp is would the flip side be true, meaning given what happened 17 seconds before should the L be thinking “if there’s a 50-50 here I should take it”?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 06:31am.
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 06:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who's The Fairest Of Them All ???

Quote:
Shot block on a lay-up with some contact and no-call .. leads to a fast break the other way ... new Lead should be thinking ... "I can't have a foul for marginal contact on my end." So according to the big boys we should be taking account to what is called on the other end of the court.
Exactly. Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, the "little boys" call that "mirroring".

Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 10:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I guess another question given what they told you at the camp is would the flip side be true, meaning given what happened 17 second before should the L be thinking “if there’s a 50-50 here I should take it”?
On that 2nd play they would have expected the C to step down with the play and have a whistle on that play or the Lead to have a cadence whistle when he realized the C didn't blow.

But to your specific question, I would think yes, they would have expected us to be cataloguing plays within that short of a timeframe, especially in the last minute of an overtime game.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 01:38am
AremRed

Quote:
So kinda like this video?

Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 10:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Actually the video does not show anything about consistency at all. Neither play is the same and the first shooter took on two defenders and appeared to get blocked. I really hate it when we think consistency is just because we call something at one end, we think the very next play is the same type of play. Each play should be evaluated differently no matter what we have called.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 10:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Thought Provoking ...

AremRed: Great "Consistency" video. Thanks.

I'm not sure that I see a foul on the first play, but I think I see a foul in the second play. I'm for consistency, or "mirroring", in a game, but this might be one situation, in my game, where there's going to be no foul on one end, and a foul called on the other end. Assuming that there was no illegal contact, on the first play, it's tough to ignore illegal contact, assumng it occurred, on the second play. To me, consistency means calling X on one end, and calling X down the other end (go ahead an substitute official for end), whereas this video might actually be showing X and Y. In real time, tougher calls on both ends than in "go back and look again" videos. I wouldn't be throwing these two officials under the bus if I were working with them, or observing them. At the most (or worst), I might question them with a, "So, what did you see on those two plays?".

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 15, 2013 at 11:19am.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 02:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
So kinda like this video?

No, not the same. 1st play was a block with no contact, 2nd definitely had contact.