The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Thoughts? (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96106-thoughts-video.html)

JetMetFan Fri Sep 13, 2013 04:09pm

Thoughts? (video)

Background: Two plays from the NCAAW D2 Final 8.

<iframe width="720" height="540" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TuLYgkMCKqM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SCalScoreKeeper Fri Sep 13, 2013 04:24pm

#1-traveling
#2-foul on the initial shot,good no call on the screen up top

JRutledge Fri Sep 13, 2013 04:42pm

1. Traveling
  2. I can see the no call or not a foul on the shot. It looks like the player got to the floor. I am good with what went on on this play.

Peace

JetMetFan Fri Sep 13, 2013 04:50pm

More background: Play #1 resulted in foul #5 on White #34.

Lotto Fri Sep 13, 2013 05:02pm

On the second play, the contact on the shot is C's call. C is way too high to get a good look.

johnny d Fri Sep 13, 2013 07:43pm

Play 1, either a travel or nothing. Don't see anyway for a shooting foul to be called on this play.

Play 2, I agree with Jrut and like the no call. I am sure white coach is thinking he/she just got screwed though with the crap-ass foul call on the other end and then nothing here.

just another ref Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 904930)
More background: Play #1 resulted in foul #5 on White #34.

How is this relevant?

Camron Rust Sat Sep 14, 2013 01:01am

I think it is a weak foul on the first play. On top of that, you can't get both the foul and the shot. It isn't continuous motion to turn, get fouled, pull the ball down and square up before going up for the shot. If the C insists on calling that foul, they can't give the shot too.

On the 2nd play, protect the shooter. The defender hipchecked the shooter to the floor before the shooter came down.

APG Sat Sep 14, 2013 01:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 904939)
I think it is a weak foul on the first play. On top of that, you can't get both the foul and the shot. It isn't continuous motion to turn, get fouled, pull the ball down and square up before going up for the shot. If the C insists on calling that foul, they can't give the shot too.

The first play, the slot is clearly calling the contact that occurs on he shooter's left arm (for the defender, in the official's judgement, violating verticality). Now whether that is a foul or not is another question, but the contact that is whistled is definitely during the shot.

JugglingReferee Sat Sep 14, 2013 01:47am

Travel in play 1. Also no foul in play 1. Foul in play 2. Gotta get a foul like that.

In my judgement, I'd say they went 0/3 in the video.

Camron Rust Sat Sep 14, 2013 03:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 904940)
The first play, the slot is clearly calling the contact that occurs on he shooter's left arm (for the defender, in the official's judgement, violating verticality). Now whether that is a foul or not is another question, but the contact that is whistled is definitely during the shot.

That didn't even register as a possible foul to me.

JetMetFan Sat Sep 14, 2013 05:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 904938)
How is this relevant?

Make it as relevant as you want or not relevant at all. I'm just providing background information.

JetMetFan Sat Sep 14, 2013 07:35am

thoughts on thoughts

My $0.02 worth...

Play #1: The C assumed there was going to be contact so the called the first thing she saw.

Play #2: At a camp last year a pretty good official told me the following when I no-called a similar play...at this level when a player is airborne heading in one direction and then they change direction drastically, chances are they didn't do it on their own.

There's also an ant vs. elephant component to these two. C called an ant that really wasn't there on one end but then C and L - since he didn't pinch the paint - let the elephant go by at the other end.

BillyMac Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:24am

Two Plays, Two Cents ...

1) Traveling. Easy peasey lemon squeezy.

2) Foul (Poor coaching, defender used wrong hand to block the ball, which resulted in "enough" contact on the airborne shooter to charge the foul).

Easy to call on videotape. I have no major problem with the calls made on the court in "real time". We all miss some, some more than others, but we all miss some.

Raymond Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:36am

1) I have nothing, especially since the little contact that occurred came on the non-shooting arm.

2) Lead should have a secondary whistle on the play. C should have had a primary whistle but she took herself totally out of the play with here initial positioning. She was all worried about A1 when she was 30 feet from the basket but then when A1 drives to the basket the C is nowhere to be found.