Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 03, 2013, 04:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nfhs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There is also a rule that the game can be shortened with the mutual agreement of the coaches and referee.
5-5-3: Quarter(s) may be shortened in an emergency or at any time by
mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and referee. Playing time and number
of quarters for nonvarsity game quarters may be reduced by mutual agreement
of opposing coaches.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 03, 2013, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
I notice when the lead is too much, players tend to give up the last 10 seconds and start shaking each other's hand, and when it's the finals coaches & bench players etc will start walking into the court before the buzzer hits, yet no calls were called for such violations. I know it bears no meaning to the game but rules are rules, aren't such action considered serious and both teams should be called for technical fouls?
Do you know what a plumber is?

A plumber is a person who goes looking for $hit.

Don't be a plumber.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

What if a team throws the ball into the air, bench people starts running in, the opposing team goes & steal the ball and goes for the basket, how would you call it?

Since usually opposing coaches wouldn't just agree it prior walking into the court, people just walk in as an act of being "mutual".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post

Don't be a plumber.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 03:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What if a team throws the ball into the air, bench people starts running in, the opposing team goes & steal the ball and goes for the basket, how would you call it?

Since usually opposing coaches wouldn't just agree it prior walking into the court, people just walk in as an act of being "mutual".
You do not comprehend very well I see. What in the heck do you think? You really have to ask?

Peace
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 07:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I think your mission is to think up every off-the-wall, ridiculous situation and ask us what we would call.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 08:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

How many games have you watched where this actually happens?
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 09:15am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Never had it. Have never seen it. Must be a regional thing.
Perhaps kinda like the problem with intentional fouls to stop the clock late in the game. Must be a problem somewhere since it's an NFHS POE again this year. But, and I'm quite grateful for this, rampant outbreaks of this apparent red-letter problem don't happen here that I've detected.
I guess I should be happy I live here.

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 09:17am.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Not that it happened but the guy tossed the ball into the air infront of the opponent before everyone steps in, so i'm guess if the opponent really hated losing a championship he'd just grab the ball and do something with it.

In that case the game would be considered still ongoing so you'll have to call technicals on teams that went into the court, even if both team does it, or you'll just gonna ignore the player's action and treat it as irrelevant and end the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 09:27am
This IS My Social Life

Another One on My "Do Not Call Back" List

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Don't be a plumber.
Ahem....

When your wife is giving you eighty-four decibels because floor drain in the basement is perking up all the sewage your thirty-six house guests are flushing through the upstairs toilets on Christmas Day due to the row of maple trees you planted over the top of your old clay tile sewer out to the street and my phone rings to come and rescue you, guess what. I've probably got a game assignment that afternoon.

"Every Time You Flush, You Put Food on My Family's Table"

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 10:00am.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not that it happened but the guy tossed the ball into the air infront of the opponent before everyone steps in, so i'm guess if the opponent really hated losing a championship he'd just grab the ball and do something with it.
when they toss the ball into the air, they do it such that time will expire before the ball comes down. Most of the time, both teams have been standing around for a few seconds before this, and the game has been conceded.

It doesn't happen in a 1 point game with 15 seconds left.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 04:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Kids Do The Darndest Things (With Apologies To Art Linkletter) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
When they toss the ball into the air, they do it such that time will expire before the ball comes down. It doesn't happen in a 1 point game with 15 seconds left.
How about a tied game with eleven seconds left? Sometimes weird stuff happens. After all, they're only kids.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 05:30pm.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Apples and Rutabagas, Billy.

In that video, the player heaved the ball, not just to heave it expecting time to expire and just walk off the court, but as a try. Sure, it was a bad try and he mistakenly thought there was less time but it was not at all the same as what this thread is discussion (a celebratory throw)/
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That depends. If the shot was released before the horn, I would count the basket. Otherwise, wave it off and head to the showers

Quote:

In that case the game would be considered still ongoing so you'll have to call technicals on teams that went into the court, even if both team does it, or you'll just gonna ignore the player's action and treat it as irrelevant and end the game?
Tell you what. You go ahead and call those technical fouls. Maybe you can sell your uniforms on eBay. 'Cause you damn sure won't be working again.

My advice to you: stop trying to come up with these ridiculous situations where you would make a call no other official would ever make and start reading and learning from the veteran officials on this forum. You'll be much better off. Good luck to you!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Sep 04, 2013, 11:04pm
AremRed

I wonder what potato would call in this situation.

Old Thu Sep 05, 2013, 06:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Almost On Topic Video ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Apples and Rutabagas, Billy.
Of course I know that. Mr. potato's post just brought this play to mind.