The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Score B - 19, A - 3. Third quarter. B has dominated the game. B was warned in first quarter against profuse celebrations.

A sweeps right scoring a touchdown in the corner of the end zone. A13 takes the ball and runs to goal post where he kneels as if to say a prayer. Then turns and gives ball to nearest official.

What would you do? And, why?
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'd ignore it. Personally, I don't think the act of kneeling is a form of celebration, or flagrant attempt to attract attention to himself, or is a form of taunting. I'm not a terribly religious person, and I have yet to see a religious gesture (whether sincere or not) that would fall outside the bounds of good tact or sportsmanship.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeke5
I'd ignore it. Personally, I don't think the act of kneeling is a form of celebration, or flagrant attempt to attract attention to himself, or is a form of taunting. I'm not a terribly religious person, and I have yet to see a religious gesture (whether sincere or not) that would fall outside the bounds of good tact or sportsmanship.
Agreed. I don't see a problem with this. It's no different that a player being hugged by 2 teammates after he scores. Showboating, taunting and such displays are different in my view.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to zebraman55
Talking Hard to say if he's religious!

For this player, who knows his real reason for kneeling in the end zone. But, for this play, I'd pass on the flag.

He' has done nothing to humiliate the opposing team, did not truly draw attention to himself, or cause a over celebratory act.

And, this may have been a reason of solitude for a team that was behind.

Let it go!

zeb
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Good to know I have agreement with what was done.

No flag. However, my thought was this "celebration" -- this team probably needs to say a prayer after making one of those few touchdowns -- quiet though it may be could possibly be resented by an opponent. And, a player is supposed to hand the ball to the nearest official. Of course, you do give some leeway for a score.

But what if a B player did not like A's action and subsequently started taunting A feeling he is being taunted by A -- now you have a mess?

I quietly and politely called the captain aside and asked him to refrain and they did.

Michael Irving of the Dallas Cowboys once said, "after you make a touchdown hand the ball to the official and act like you have been there before."
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
A13 takes the ball and runs to goal post where he kneels as if to say a prayer. Then turns and gives ball to nearest official.
You have nothing.

I would hate to see a flag for that, only to have the player come up after and say something like, "I dedicated that to my mother, who died Tuesday."

Whoever threw the flag would deservedly feel like pond scum.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure if Michael (Rip your helmet off and spike the ball as hard as you can) Irvin ever practiced "handing the ball to the nearest official and act like you've been there before"

Barry Sanders or Robert Smith might be better examples of this.