The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Penalty for illegal substitution.

So I had a potential illegal sub today. Coach subs out a A5 during a dead ball for a personal foul on B1 for a blocking foul on A1.

We allow A6 into the game and are told/reminded by the table (summer tournament with different timing and rules) that we are in bonus. Send A1 to line to shoot 2. Coach sends A5 back to table as sub for shooter.

No ticks gone off clock so A5 can't come back in. I inform coach so and he sends A5 back to bench. Until play resumes and then sends her back to table.

Went and checked rule book tonight to confirm. Clock must tick and become dead ball again before she comes in. What is the penalty for this though? We just don't let her in? DOG warning on bench? Rules say she can't sub there but no explanation of what happens when it occurs/tries to occur? Thoughts?

Glad I caught it. Late in the day, lots of games, etc. Happy with how I handled it in a summer tourney sort of situation, but if it happened in a varsity game during season want to handle it by the book.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 10:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
So I had a potential illegal sub today. Coach subs out a A5 during a dead ball for a personal foul on B1 for a blocking foul on A1.

We allow A6 into the game and are told/reminded by the table (summer tournament with different timing and rules) that we are in bonus. Send A1 to line to shoot 2. Coach sends A5 back to table as sub for shooter.

No ticks gone off clock so A5 can't come back in. I inform coach so and he sends A5 back to bench. Until play resumes and then sends her back to table.

Went and checked rule book tonight to confirm. Clock must tick and become dead ball again before she comes in. What is the penalty for this though? We just don't let her in? DOG warning on bench? Rules say she can't sub there but no explanation of what happens when it occurs/tries to occur? Thoughts?

Glad I caught it. Late in the day, lots of games, etc. Happy with how I handled it in a summer tourney sort of situation, but if it happened in a varsity game during season want to handle it by the book.
This is not a DOG warning. It's simply a return-to-sender and play on. If she ends up getting in and you don't catch it until the ball becomes live, it's just too late and you still play on.

To recap, there's no penalty for trying. If you catch it before the ball becomes live, send her/him back. If you catch it after the ball becomes live, the sub is now a legal player and you just play on.