The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 06, 2013, 01:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
BNR -

As tall as you are when you put your hands by your side they are in most people's faces.....unless you are scared of an assistant in Albright and your partner has to care of business .......
I was just a body guard in that situation. Only time I noticed that dude is the 2 times you T'd him and when I directed him to the exit. I don't think he liked your cologne or something.
Old Tue Aug 06, 2013, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I believe they are methods of displaying the stop sign without sticking your hand in the direction of someone's face. I use a double-handed stop sign when I see a coach beginning to react to a partner's call. It always from at least 10 feet away and below my chest level.

I'll use a one-handed stop sign off to the side when I'm walking away from a contentious discussion and it's accompanied with the phrase "that's enough" or "we're done here".
I do not think he literally is referring to sticking your hand in someone's face directly. I think he believes the action in many ways is disrespectful as I feel kind of the same. And in my experience it has not usually prevented a T, it helps exacerbate one to be called. Now as said by MSR, you are taller than most of us and not many people are going to do much to you for all kinds of reasons other than your height. I am taller than most men, but not necessarily taller than most basketball coaches. I can imagine that you could damn near look at someone and get the point across that many feel the stop sign accomplishes.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 06, 2013, 03:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Penalty Box ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I work college baseball and they specifically want us to tell coaches that "this is your warning." Of course, the only penalty that follows that is ejection...
What? No technical fouls? No yellow cards? You guys are barbarians.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Aug 06, 2013, 04:35pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I believe they are methods of displaying the stop sign without sticking your hand in the direction of someone's face. I use a double-handed stop sign when I see a coach beginning to react to a partner's call. It always from at least 10 feet away and below my chest level.

I'll use a one-handed stop sign off to the side when I'm walking away from a contentious discussion and it's accompanied with the phrase "that's enough" or "we're done here".
I know what you mean and I don't really do that either...but that is a much better way to do things. I use a Patrick Swayze approach - be nice until it is time not to be nice - more than I used to. I prefer to address the behavior first and the coach's concerns second. Of course, there is a time when ignoring is the best solution because coaches are often irrational/emotional.

A lot of this is just being human and communicating. There are times when a person needs their space even though they want to argue. Those are the times it is best to leave well enough alone. However, when during the course of off court interactions would we put a hand up and tell someone that is enough. Naturally, their thought is probably something along the lines of, "You don't put your hand up and tell me that is enough". At that point, things go left fast.
Old Tue Aug 06, 2013, 05:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Leads ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I use a Patrick Swayze approach.
By dirty dancing with the coach?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)