The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I coach a 11-12 year old girls softball team, assist for a 9-10 girls softball team, and umpire when needed (yes, my plate is full). We follow high school ASA rules and our local commissionor and I disagree on a few points.

1. He says in fast pitch softball it is not written that the pitcher has to use a wind up or a "windmill" and it is permissible to use an underhanded flip as in slow pitch.

2. If a pitcher winds up and then doesn't release the ball is it an illeagal pitch? He says it a non pitch and the pitcher throws again?

3. I attended a camp last year where I was told both feet need to be in contact with the pitching rubber at the start of the pitch. Is this correct?
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

1. He says in fast pitch softball it is not written that the pitcher has to use a wind up or a "windmill" and it is permissible to use an underhanded flip as in slow pitch.

Correct.

2. If a pitcher winds up and then doesn't release the ball is it an illeagal pitch? He says it a non pitch and the pitcher throws again?

A pitcher can stop at any point prior to the legal point of starting a pitch. For ASA, that is when the hands separate. For NFHS it is after any motion normally associated with the windup. If they stopped early enought they can step back off the plate and be legal. If they stop too late, it is an illegal pitch. (Penalty: Ball on the batter and advance runners one base.)

3. I attended a camp last year where I was told both feet need to be in contact with the pitching rubber at the start of the pitch. Is this correct?

In ASA, YES. In NFHS, pitchers can start with one foot behind the plate, and or can step back prior to bringing the hands together.

WMB
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chad
follow high school ASA rules
WMB's answers are correct, but I just want to clarify a couple of things about which rules you are using.

Most states use NFHS (National Federation of State High School Associations) rules for high school; at least one state uses ASA, and some use their own state rules. Since the answer varies on some of your pitching questions, you need to find out if your teams are playing under high school (NFHS) OR ASA rules.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Right, unless you are in the state that Dakota mentioned which uses ASA rules for high school, there is no such thing as "high school ASA rules".
The rules can be either NFHS (high school) or ASA or one of several others. You can't follow NFHS and ASA at the same time. WMB's answers about pitching are among the most obvious differences. If your league has either rule book or someone in charge can specify one or the other, there are many on this board who will help with your questions. The two who answered above are among the best.
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Talked to our league commissionor and we follow NFHS and then any adaptions Missouri may use. I have been doing this 5 years and this is the first time anyone bothered telling me that! Thanks for the input. I do this to help the kids in the community on a volunteer basis and have found I have to rely on myself to find the answers to league problems. This is a great resource! Thanks again