The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Dealing with coaches...

Summer girls tournament. I like doing girls games because anything can happen. It tests rule knowledge and situational awareness. Spencer has shown up and volunteered to do three man. A5 gets trabbed on the baseline opposite of Lead and Lead doesnt come over. B4 and B5 trap her on the baseline and she has no where to go. To get an angle she starts to fall toward the baseline that she is already on. She tries to pass the ball and the defenders just let her try since she has no angle and she throws it away. A5 coach starts chirping "She wouldnt throw that away, he must have missed it". Another transition call he thinks a girl travels and I see nothing I would call a travel. "Thats a travel". Coach what did you see. "A travel". He is running a full court press and man to man. His varsity girls are aggressive, especially with hands and the foul count is showing it with a 8-2 against him. I say something to the affect the full court and man to man is going to see more fouls called on your team.

I dont get chirped at much any more. I work hard and call a good game and seldom get chirping. Especially from good coaches. To me this guy wants his girls to get away with more aggressive defense and I the crew is penalizing it properly. And I am ass/u/ming he is trying to get me to go easy on his girls to give him advantage.

How do I respond to make sure I dont assume and let myself get agitated by this behavior. Do I simply need a thick skin and ignore the little japs knowing we are doing a good job and just tell him we will watch for it and move on. This feels like my 2nd biggest wall and because it doesnt come up often I have been ignoring it. Yet I want a well rounded game and seek advice when on of THESE coaches show up on the side line. My gut says to tell him we will watch and discuss it as we can and internally just ignore what I think is a manipulation of the referees.

Thanks in advance,
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ignore if you can.

If it gets distracting and you can't, tell him politely that the running commentary needs to stop.

If that fails, an ABS T might be in order.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Part of it may be needing to develop a thicker skin. Before I had to take my break this was an issue I had to work on as well. I finally realized that what every "old timer" was telling me is true...at most games there are probably only 2 (or 3) people in the gym who do not care about the outcome of the game. Everyone else is watching with their heart, we are (or should be) watching with our eyes and mind. For me, I also came to understand that you need to hear the coaches without really listening to them. By that I mean when dealing with a talker I monitored them and waited for something important to come out of their mouth. Just because they make a sound, it doesn't mean they need to be addressed. You will know when it needs to be addressed...then use your training, rules knowledge and professionalism to deal with it.

Once you get to know the coaches it gets easier. There were coaches in my area that virtually never said a word to an official. When they did say something, you were almost convinced they were right as a matter of course.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks you two. Good stuff.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 01:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Ignore if you can.

If it gets distracting and you can't, tell him politely that the running commentary needs to stop.

If that fails, an ABS T might be in order.
Exactly what I had to do in camp this past weekend. Somehow every one of my games I got the same team (defending state champions from what I understood).

In the 2nd quarter of the 3rd game the coach comments to me 3 straight times down the court, all essentially about the same play. I turn and tell the coach "I can't have a running commentary from you".

I did not hear another word from him the rest of the game. Methinks he was just testing me to see what he could get away with.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 04:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Gray Hair Dye, Yeah, That's The Answer, Gray Hair Dye ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Once you get to know the coaches it gets easier.
... and along the same line, once they get to know you it gets a lot easier. I'm lucky in that my experience (32 years), and my age (lots, and lots, of gray hair), help, actually help a lot. I may not be one of the top officials on my board, but when I walk into a gymnasium, most coaches know me, they know that I will be working by butt off for both teams, they know that I'm pretty good with the rules, and with the application of the rules, and they know that I won't put up with a lot of bullshit from either coach. My only problems are with young coaches, who don't know me. Those young'uns have to adjust their learning curve real fast, or we're having a "tea party". I seldom do it, but I'm not afraid to take the gun out of the holster. "Bang. Bang. Take a seat." (Tea party? Gun? Sorry about the mixed metaphors.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 04:05pm.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Don't ignore unacceptable behavior, address it.
If you don't the coach will believe that it is permissible.

Remember that the coach is there to provide instruction to his team, not the officials.
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 08:23pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Don't ignore unacceptable behavior, address it.
If you don't the coach will believe that it is permissible.

Remember that the coach is there to provide instruction to his team, not the officials.
First time at a camp that a coach dropped a vociferous F-bomb today. Guess he thought that was permissible. He did very well coaching from the bench thereafter.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 08:27pm.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Thanks so much guys. I have taken a lot of this to heart. Last Saturday I was at a GV/GJV camp and had a volunteer church official with me doing a game. He was doing a great job and I had a coach questioning a lot of calls. The rookie put up his hand to let the coach know we had heard enough. I come by later and he starts getting into with me. I said coach my crew has had enough with the running commentary. Immediately more chirping. Coach I just said enough. Immediately more chirping. That is at least 3 warnings to stop talking so I rang him up.

Thoughts on the T. I had a thought come to me after this T and I wanted to know if it was stupid or brilliant.

At this 3rd+ warning to talk the running commentary. Blow the whistle with a fist in the air. Send the teams to the bench. Tell the coach you have my attention what do you want us to watch for if there is one important thing you want us to do better the rest of the game. Listen for about 10-15 seconds. Go over to the other coach give him the same 10-15 seconds and ask him who he wants to shoot the T. Then turn and verbalize that you are giving a technical foul and administrator it. If the coach tries to stand at the next dead ball your partner tells him by rule you are only allowed to stand for time outs and talk to us about said timeouts. What do you guys think?
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Thanks so much guys. I have taken a lot of this to heart. Last Saturday I was at a GV/GJV camp and had a volunteer church official with me doing a game. He was doing a great job and I had a coach questioning a lot of calls. The rookie put up his hand to let the coach know we had heard enough. I come by later and he starts getting into with me. I said coach my crew has had enough with the running commentary. Immediately more chirping. Coach I just said enough. Immediately more chirping. That is at least 3 warnings to stop talking so I rang him up.

Thoughts on the T. I had a thought come to me after this T and I wanted to know if it was stupid or brilliant.

At this 3rd+ warning to talk the running commentary. Blow the whistle with a fist in the air. Send the teams to the bench. Tell the coach you have my attention what do you want us to watch for if there is one important thing you want us to do better the rest of the game. Listen for about 10-15 seconds. Go over to the other coach give him the same 10-15 seconds and ask him who he wants to shoot the T. Then turn and verbalize that you are giving a technical foul and administrator it. If the coach tries to stand at the next dead ball your partner tells him by rule you are only allowed to stand for time outs and talk to us about said timeouts. What do you guys think?
Personally...I like the way you handled it. You backed up your partner's warning verbally and (with the last warning) made sure he understood. Basketball, like life, is all about choices. Coach made his choice, you just administered the consequences of his choice.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 10:56am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:

Thoughts on the T.
3 warnings = at least one, probably 2 warnings too many.

Quote:
I had a thought come to me after this T and I wanted to know if it was stupid or brilliant.

no. No. NO. A thousand times, NO.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...Thoughts on the T. I had a thought come to me after this T and I wanted to know if it was stupid or brilliant.

No, no, no. Ackknowledge (I hear you coach), Warn (ok coach, that's enough), then T. After giving a T there should be no more conversation.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

While I love the creativity and would fantasize about doing this to a mouthy coach that just won't stop....

You are doing the thing that we, as officials, absolutely don't want done to us...showing up the coach.

As was said previously, we (the officials) are generally the only people in the gym that do not have an emotional investment in the outcome of the game. We need to remain professional at all times and not lower ourselves to the emotional level of the participants.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not get this "showing up a coach" thing. It think that is ego driven and does not get to how we solve the problem. If they ask a legitimate question we have the option to answer it. If they are making statements, we choose to ignore most of those unless they are excessive in yelling or acting in a way that their behavior is over the top. If a coach is acting a fool, my reaction my show that. They are the ones that are acting in a way that could be considered over the top. We should stay calm, but we have a right to respond in a way IMO to stop their behavior for escalating. If they "show us up" we have methods to take care of that. If we act unprofessionally, there are methods to handle that as well. And sometimes unconventional methods should be used if it fits your personality or experience.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me add my voice to the "Ugh, please don't do this" crowd. Third warning? A warning is a warning. Unless you said, "Coach, if you do not stop, I shall ask you to stop a second time!" Warning are worthless if you can't follow through. Don't warn unless you are willing to do so.

West Houston Mike