The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 18, 2013, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Travel?

I know a player can slide across the floor on their front side without traveling but can a player slide across his/her butt or back?
Old Wed Jun 19, 2013, 12:06am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official View Post
I know a player can slide across the floor on their front side without traveling but can a player slide across his/her butt or back?
Yes. NFHS 4.44.5 Situation B
Old Wed Jun 19, 2013, 06:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

A player may slide on the floor while trying to secure a loose ball until that player’s momentum stops. At that point that player cannot attempt to get up or rollover. A player securing a ball while on the floor cannot attempt to stand up unless that player starts a dribble. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout. If the player is flat on his or her back, that player may sit up without violating.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

A player may slide on the floor while trying to secure a loose ball until that player’s momentum stops. At that point that player cannot attempt to get up or rollover. A player securing a ball while on the floor cannot attempt to stand up unless that player starts a dribble. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout. If the player is flat on his or her back, that player may sit up without violating.
Let me add one more wrinkle. Can a player who is sitting down - lay down -or can a player who is laying down - sit up - then lay back down?
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 10:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Let me add one more wrinkle. Can a player who is sitting down - lay down -or can a player who is laying down - sit up - then lay back down?
Why would they not be able to? This is why you really need to read the rule quoted and definitions in general.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 10:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Also remember that two players who are laying on the floor next to each other are required to get a room.

Actually, I once told two players that. They both just laughed.