The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

travel

rule book, page 74, line 6 says it is not possible to travel during a dribble...if i have the ball on the dribble and run 10 steps before i put the ball down again, is this not a travel while dribbling....i'm confused..
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you take 10 steps before you put the ball down, you have not started a dribble. It is that simple.

Rule 4-15 says: A dribble is ball movement caused by the player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball in the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once or several times.

You cannot have a dribble until this happens.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

It is not a travel to take multiple steps during a dribble between touches. Only when the dribble ends (e.g. the ball comes to rest in the hand) is a travel possible.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clips2
rule book, page 74, line 6 says it is not possible to travel during a dribble...if i have the ball on the dribble and run 10 steps before i put the ball down again, is this not a travel while dribbling....i'm confused..
The rule book is correct and you are confused. FYI - it is not double dribble to dribble twice while not moving your feet either.

While you have the rule book, read the section that covers travelling.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

As long as your hand is not on the ball while you are taking those 10 steps you are fine. The likelyhood of a defender not taking the ball during those 10 steps is very slim. Jr's post pretty much says it all. I'm eating while I do this and got beat to the reply.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja
It is not a travel to take multiple steps during a dribble between touches. Only when the dribble ends (e.g. the ball comes to rest in the hand) is a travel possible.
You also fail the test, as you can travle before you start a dribble.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by clips2
If you did this, you would violate, how ever it wouldn't have to be a travel.

If you took the ball between your hand and held it with both hands:
travle, you're dribbel has ended

If you hold the ball "in your hand" not resting it in your palm, I don't belive it really covers if this is an illegal dribble or palming but I'd call palming.

If you rest the ball in your hand while running like this: palming.

So you can dribble and you havn't travelled, but you have still commited a violation.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:35pm
In Memoriam

Clips, forget steps. The definition of the dribble states that the ball doesn't come to rest in one or both hands during the dribble- rule 4-15-4. Iow, the player is not holding the ball during his dribble; there's no possession. The definition of traveling states that traveling can only occur while a player is actually holding the ball.

If a player ends his dribble by holding the ball, then the foot restrictions of traveling will come into play---not before.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
You also fail the test, as you can travel before you start a dribble.
Why would he flunk the test?

He referenced multiple steps during a dribble and also talked about the end of the dribble. He didn't say diddly about what happened preceding the dribble.

His answer looked OK to me. What am I missing?
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
You also fail the test, as you can travle before you start a dribble.
The OP was about what you can do before you actually dribble. I guess I failed because I made no mention to the pivot foot and other aspects of this rule.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Why would he flunk the test?
Because he said that you can "only" travel after the dribble ends. You can also travel before the dribble begins, but that wasn't part of the original scenario.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The OP was about what you can do before you actually dribble.
I don't think so. Read it again and he says that he has the ball "on the dribble". He's already dribbling and taking 10 steps between each dribble.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja
JR,
The first statement is correct. The second one is not. As I read it, is states that you can only travel after dribbling the ball. Perhaps I am being more selective that you might, but I would have agreed with the following statements:

In this situation, only when the dribble ends (e.g. the ball comes to rest in the hand) is a travel possible.

or

After starting a dribble, only when the dribble ends (e.g. the ball comes to rest in the hand) is a travel possible.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The OP was about what you can do before you actually dribble. I guess I failed because I made no mention to the pivot foot and other aspects of this rule.

Peace
By that logic, nearly every answer would be incorrect unless the entire rule book was qouted.

While I don't consider it part of my function to grade or score every post, I am comfortable correcting posts that I read that seem incorrect to me if I choose. I have learned by my posts being corrected or questioned.

Side note - Why is it that regardless where I put the "w", "answer" doesn't look correct until I check the dictionary.

Last edited by SamIAm; Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 01:20pm.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I don't think so. Read it again and he says that he has the ball "on the dribble". He's already dribbling and taking 10 steps between each dribble.
He said he had the ball and the dribble and then takes 10 steps before he puts the ball down. It sounds like to me he did not know when a dribble started or when it ended.

Peace