The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Travel or not?

After ending his dribble, A1 (a) attempting to throw a pass to A2, who had vacated the area on a cut to the basket. A-1 Ran and recovered the ball. Or (b) fumbles, takes two steps and recovers before the ball hits the ground.

In (a) and (b) has A1 travelled?
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
After ending his dribble, A1 (a) attempting to throw a pass to A2, who had vacated the area on a cut to the basket. A-1 Ran and recovered the ball. Or (b) fumbles, takes two steps and recovers before the ball hits the ground.

(a)Maybe. The pass by A1 was the start of a second dribble. If he runs and catches the pass attempt before it hits the floor, it's a travel. If he runs and catches the ball after it hit the floor, it's an illegal second dribble.

(b)No
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen situation B called a travel just about every single time it happens. Looks ugly, but a fumble = loss of control. Can't travel without control. Makes me cringe the same way as when a ref calls a carry for a very high dribble while the dribblers hand is still on top of the ball.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
(a)Maybe. The pass by A1 was the start of a second dribble. If he runs and catches the pass attempt before it hits the floor, it's a travel.
4.15.4E(b) indicates this also is an illegal dribble. Either way, though, it's a violation -- and most would expect it to be a travel.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
(a)Maybe. The pass by A1 was the start of a second dribble. If he runs and catches the pass attempt before it hits the floor, it's a travel. If he runs and catches the ball after it hit the floor, it's an illegal second dribble.
Good answer.

I had something similar the other day in a scrimmage. A1 was trapped after he picked up his dribble. He tried to step through the defenders with his pivot foot. Just as his pivot foot touched the floor he dribbled again. I blew the whistle and my first thought was "...errr....travel...? double dribble...??" and I could feel myself going into over-think mode as I got a sudden urge to do the Macarena. Luckily I snapped out of it and gave the travel signal.

It's still early, I'll get better...not so certain about A1 though
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Good answer.

I had something similar the other day in a scrimmage. A1 was trapped after he picked up his dribble. He tried to step through the defenders with his pivot foot. Just as his pivot foot touched the floor he dribbled again. I blew the whistle and my first thought was "...errr....travel...? double dribble...??" and I could feel myself going into over-think mode as I got a sudden urge to do the Macarena. Luckily I snapped out of it and gave the travel signal.
Just point at A1 and say "You can't f**king do that". It's on p84 of the Mechanics manual.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
4.15.4E(b) indicates this also is an illegal dribble. Either way, though, it's a violation -- and most would expect it to be a travel.
Agree. Good catch.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Just point at A1 and say "You can't f**king do that". It's on p84 of the Mechanics manual.
That's my problem right there - I used the unapproved "What the **** is wrong with you??!" mechanic.

Thanks for the help.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Now THAT is GOOD material! LOL!
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 10:10am
M.A.S.H.

Ohhhhh Tony.....quiz?
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
and I could feel myself going into over-think mode as I got a sudden urge to do the Macarena.
I came on the board this morning with the sole intent of viewing a video clip of Dan doing the Macarena (I mean, he even spells it correctly!) So, how come there's still not one here?
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB

While the correct answers have already been provided by JR and Bob J, [(a) illegal dribble, (b) legal play] I thought that I would post a past NFHS Interp regarding this play. Perhaps it will give someone a better understanding of the situation.

2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS
SITUATION 6: A1 jumps from the floor and secures a defensive re-bound. A1 then pivots toward the sideline where a teammate, A2, is standing for an outlet pass. Just as A1 releases the pass, A2 turns and runs down the court. A1 throws a soft bounce pass to where A2 was standing. A1 then moves and secures the ball without dribbling.
RULING: Legal action. A1 had the pivot foot on the floor and began a dribble by throwing the ball to the floor (the bounce pass); the dribble ended when A1 secured the ball. Upon reaching the ball, A1 also could have continued the dribble. (4-15-3,4)