The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Is 360 Spin move legal?

i watched this video about ending dribbles, it mentioned about typical NBA 360 spin after dribble as illegal travel unless both feet lands the same time after the spin.

Travel or Not Part 5: Ending a Dribble - YouTube

skip to 2:20

the rule states the dribble ends when the ball is resting on the hand, so do we consider the dribble has ended the moment the player initiates a spin, or we can argue that the ball hasn't rested on the hand and only rested when the player take his 1st foot out for the spin and established a pivot foot and another step on the non pivot foot to complete a 360 spin?

From the video we can see he pretty much held the ball with the wrist but what if it was just on the hand like a dribble spin?
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Legal under what rule set?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue May 14, 2013, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

I did not watch the video, and I don't know any "special" NBA rules, but at other levels the same travel rules apply -- determine when the dribble ends, find the pivot foot, see if it touches the ground again (in other than the legal jump stop).
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 11:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
i watched this video about ending dribbles, it mentioned about typical NBA 360 spin after dribble as illegal travel unless both feet lands the same time after the spin.

Travel or Not Part 5: Ending a Dribble - YouTube

skip to 2:20

the rule states the dribble ends when the ball is resting on the hand, so do we consider the dribble has ended the moment the player initiates a spin, or we can argue that the ball hasn't rested on the hand and only rested when the player take his 1st foot out for the spin and established a pivot foot and another step on the non pivot foot to complete a 360 spin?

From the video we can see he pretty much held the ball with the wrist but what if it was just on the hand like a dribble spin?
It is illegal to lift and replant your pivot foot. It is illegal to lift your pivot before releasing the ball for a dribble. Stick to that without all the abstract "what ifs".

I have no idea what an "NBA 360 spin" move is.

The guy in the video does an excellent job describing what is and isn't legal in regards to jumpstops.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
EDITED

The move he starts at 2:20 isn't. His hand is underneath the ball when he starts the spin, meaning the dribble has ended. At that point his pivot foot - the left - is still on the floor. He takes a step onto his other foot then his left foot comes down again.

If he'd landed on both feet at the same time then the move would've been legal. The only foot movement allowed after that would've been to jump to either shoot or pass the ball.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Tue May 14, 2013 at 01:23pm.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The move he starts at 2:20 isn't. His hand is underneath the ball when he starts the spin, meaning the dribble has ended. At that point his pivot foot - the right - is still on the floor. He takes a step onto his other foot then his right foot comes down again.

If he'd landed on both feet at the same time then the move would've been legal. The only foot movement allowed after that would've been to jump to either shoot or pass the ball.
I don't think you were looking at the correct play. He ends the dribble with his left foot on the floor...jumps off that foot and lands on both feet.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue May 14, 2013, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I don't think you were looking at the correct play. He ends the dribble with his left foot on the floor...jumps off that foot and lands on both feet.
Might be the case. I was looking at the play immediately after the 2:20 mark.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Might be the case. I was looking at the play immediately after the 2:20 mark.
There isn't a single play after the 2:20 mark where the dribble ends with the right foot on the floor.

Old Tue May 14, 2013, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There isn't a single play after the 2:20 mark where the dribble ends with the right foot on the floor.
Ahh...that would be because I can't tell my left from my right

All those legs look the same once they start spinning around

At any rate, my feelings hold from my first post just with the legs reversed. I edited my original post.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 03:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Don't Hold It Up To Your Forehead, Because Then It Means Something Else ...

Quote:
I can't tell my left from my right.
It's so simple. Pick a hand and hold it in front of you, palm outward. Make a ninety degree angle with your thumb and index finger. If it looks like a capital "L", then it's your left hand. If it doesn't, then it's your right hand.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 07:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's so simple. Pick a hand and hold it in front of you, palm outward. Make a ninety degree angle with your thumb and index finger. If it looks like a capital "L", then it's your left hand. If it doesn't, then it's your right hand.

Billy - do you know what Sam the Sham meant in Wooly Bully when he said, "Let's not be L-7"?
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Does it work the same way with legs?
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

The rule says dribble ends when ball is resting on hand, in the video it was his left foot as he carried the ball with his right hand+wrist.

How about if he didn't carry with his hand/wrist but ball was on his right hand like a normal spin dribble move while on his left foot, and holds the ball after he moved his right foot, would the right be the pivot or it is determined by the foot that is on the floor as long as there is no more dribble even if the ball hasn't rested while on the hand?

the question is more about when he established the pivot foot assuming he wasn't carrying while on his left foot.

another scenario would be a normal dribble, so the player has his left foot on the floor, ball is in contact with his right hand but not holding/palming just normal dribble motion and while stepping on his right foot he decides to hold the ball with both hands, in this case would the initial left foot be his pivot or right foot?

Quote:
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 07:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The rule says dribble ends when ball is resting on hand, in the video it was his left foot as he carried the ball with his right hand+wrist.

How about if he didn't carry with his hand/wrist but ball was on his right hand like a normal spin dribble move while on his left foot, and holds the ball after he moved his right foot, would the right be the pivot or it is determined by the foot that is on the floor as long as there is no more dribble even if the ball hasn't rested while on the hand?

the question is more about when he established the pivot foot assuming he wasn't carrying while on his left foot.

another scenario would be a normal dribble, so the player has his left foot on the floor, ball is in contact with his right hand but not holding/palming just normal dribble motion and while stepping on his right foot he decides to hold the ball with both hands, in this case would the initial left foot be his pivot or right foot?
Again, too many abstract "what ifs" for me. Find his pivot and referee the play.
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 07:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Here is your answers, always:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I did not watch the video, and I don't know any "special" NBA rules, but at other levels the same travel rules apply -- determine when the dribble ends, find the pivot foot, see if it touches the ground again (in other than the legal jump stop).