Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 03:00pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's so simple. Pick a hand and hold it in front of you, palm outward. Make a ninety degree angle with your thumb and index finger. If it looks like a capital "L", then it's your left hand. If it doesn't, then it's your right hand.
Takes me back to my military days with trainees and trying to teach them how to march.......
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 04:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Civil War ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Takes me back to my military days with trainees and trying to teach them how to march.......
Hayfoot. Strawfoot.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed May 15, 2013, 05:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Some couldn't be taught.

My instructor got so frustrated once he halted us with, "Hippity Hop, Flight Stop." I had a hard time keeping a straight face.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

may i know how to determine if a dribble has ended.

it's easy if the guy simply picks up the ball immediately after a dribble bounce, but some advance guards like to keep the ball alive as in not Holding or Palming the ball but hand in contact with the ball in normal dribble motion and when there's an opening holds the ball last second pass/shoots. So would the pivot foot be achieved the moment the ball touches the player's hand or the moment the player holds the ball?

or do you see the foot on the floor the moment the player's hand is in contact with the ball should there be no further dribbling as the moment the dribble has ended irregardless how the hand is in contact with the ball (whether it's holding/palming or dribble motion)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Here is your answers, always:
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

You still haven't answered what rule set you're looking for an answer for. I think you're looking for FIBA rules, but if you're not, you need to specify

Generally, the dribble ends when the dribbler touches it with both hand simultaneously or allows the ball comes to rest in one or both hands.

At this point you're going to have to determine the pivot foot. If the official determines the dribble ends and the player has one foot is on the floor, that foot becomes the pivot foot once the other touches the floor. If he ends the dribble with both feet in the air, it'll depends. If he lands simultaneously on both feet, then either foot can becomes the pivot foot. If they don't land simultaneously, then the first foot that lands on the ground will be the pivot foot after the other foot touches the floor.

Those are the situation from which you can end the dribble and establish a pivot foot. There are scenarios, that involve the a jump stop (also known as a pro hop for which I think you asked about when you first posted here) where the player would not be able to pivot afterward.

Now I'm pretty sure FIBA rules with establishing the pivot foot are the same as NFHS (high school) and NCAA rules. These situations would play out different under NBA rules, so when you mention an NBA spin move, know that there are moves that are legal under NBA rules that are by rule violations under different rule sets.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri May 17, 2013, 04:03am
Official Forum Member

i would like to know mainly NBA, Fiba rule.

i will try to draw out illustration later to help visualize as i think it may be abit difficult to imagine when i say ball in contact with 1 hand but not holding.

it's something like a dribble with ball on hand suddenly turn into holding the ball instead of holding the ball right after a dribble, something like hesitation then hold the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
You still haven't answered what rule set you're looking for an answer for. I think you're looking for FIBA rules, but if you're not, you need to specify
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 04:55am
Official Forum Member

Did a sketch to try to illustrate better. the left side is a normal dribble the right one shows a 360deg spin similar to the one in the video but hand in spin dribble motion instead of

Just wondering at which stage in the 2 scenarios would a referee determine that the dribbling has ended and pivot foot established?
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
may i know how to determine if a dribble has ended.
By learning to officiate.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

bump for enlightening.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
bump for enlightening.
I already gave you an answer for when the dribble ends and how to determine the pivot foot.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri May 31, 2013, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
bump for enlightening.
Now you're just trolling.