The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is 360 Spin move legal? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95029-360-spin-move-legal.html)

potato Tue May 14, 2013 06:58am

Is 360 Spin move legal?

i watched this video about ending dribbles, it mentioned about typical NBA 360 spin after dribble as illegal travel unless both feet lands the same time after the spin.

Travel or Not Part 5: Ending a Dribble - YouTube

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xgdyx09bisQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

skip to 2:20

the rule states the dribble ends when the ball is resting on the hand, so do we consider the dribble has ended the moment the player initiates a spin, or we can argue that the ball hasn't rested on the hand and only rested when the player take his 1st foot out for the spin and established a pivot foot and another step on the non pivot foot to complete a 360 spin?

From the video we can see he pretty much held the ball with the wrist but what if it was just on the hand like a dribble spin?

APG Tue May 14, 2013 07:19am

Legal under what rule set?

bob jenkins Tue May 14, 2013 07:58am

I did not watch the video, and I don't know any "special" NBA rules, but at other levels the same travel rules apply -- determine when the dribble ends, find the pivot foot, see if it touches the ground again (in other than the legal jump stop).

Raymond Tue May 14, 2013 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by potato (Post 894071)
i watched this video about ending dribbles, it mentioned about typical NBA 360 spin after dribble as illegal travel unless both feet lands the same time after the spin.

Travel or Not Part 5: Ending a Dribble - YouTube

skip to 2:20

the rule states the dribble ends when the ball is resting on the hand, so do we consider the dribble has ended the moment the player initiates a spin, or we can argue that the ball hasn't rested on the hand and only rested when the player take his 1st foot out for the spin and established a pivot foot and another step on the non pivot foot to complete a 360 spin?

From the video we can see he pretty much held the ball with the wrist but what if it was just on the hand like a dribble spin?

It is illegal to lift and replant your pivot foot. It is illegal to lift your pivot before releasing the ball for a dribble. Stick to that without all the abstract "what ifs".

I have no idea what an "NBA 360 spin" move is.

The guy in the video does an excellent job describing what is and isn't legal in regards to jumpstops.

JetMetFan Tue May 14, 2013 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by potato (Post 894071)

EDITED

The move he starts at 2:20 isn't. His hand is underneath the ball when he starts the spin, meaning the dribble has ended. At that point his pivot foot - the left - is still on the floor. He takes a step onto his other foot then his left foot comes down again.

If he'd landed on both feet at the same time then the move would've been legal. The only foot movement allowed after that would've been to jump to either shoot or pass the ball.

APG Tue May 14, 2013 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 894149)
The move he starts at 2:20 isn't. His hand is underneath the ball when he starts the spin, meaning the dribble has ended. At that point his pivot foot - the right - is still on the floor. He takes a step onto his other foot then his right foot comes down again.

If he'd landed on both feet at the same time then the move would've been legal. The only foot movement allowed after that would've been to jump to either shoot or pass the ball.

I don't think you were looking at the correct play. He ends the dribble with his left foot on the floor...jumps off that foot and lands on both feet.

JetMetFan Tue May 14, 2013 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 894152)
I don't think you were looking at the correct play. He ends the dribble with his left foot on the floor...jumps off that foot and lands on both feet.

Might be the case. I was looking at the play immediately after the 2:20 mark.

APG Tue May 14, 2013 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 894154)
Might be the case. I was looking at the play immediately after the 2:20 mark.

There isn't a single play after the 2:20 mark where the dribble ends with the right foot on the floor. :confused:

JetMetFan Tue May 14, 2013 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 894155)
There isn't a single play after the 2:20 mark where the dribble ends with the right foot on the floor. :confused:

Ahh...that would be because I can't tell my left from my right :o

All those legs look the same once they start spinning around ;)

At any rate, my feelings hold from my first post just with the legs reversed. I edited my original post.

BillyMac Tue May 14, 2013 03:59pm

Just Don't Hold It Up To Your Forehead, Because Then It Means Something Else ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 894157)
I can't tell my left from my right.

It's so simple. Pick a hand and hold it in front of you, palm outward. Make a ninety degree angle with your thumb and index finger. If it looks like a capital "L", then it's your left hand. If it doesn't, then it's your right hand.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/8...6c4b3c6c_m.jpg

Mark Padgett Tue May 14, 2013 07:47pm

Ot

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 894187)
It's so simple. Pick a hand and hold it in front of you, palm outward. Make a ninety degree angle with your thumb and index finger. If it looks like a capital "L", then it's your left hand. If it doesn't, then it's your right hand.

Billy - do you know what Sam the Sham meant in Wooly Bully when he said, "Let's not be L-7"?

JetMetFan Tue May 14, 2013 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 894187)

Does it work the same way with legs? :D

potato Tue May 14, 2013 09:35pm

The rule says dribble ends when ball is resting on hand, in the video it was his left foot as he carried the ball with his right hand+wrist.

How about if he didn't carry with his hand/wrist but ball was on his right hand like a normal spin dribble move while on his left foot, and holds the ball after he moved his right foot, would the right be the pivot or it is determined by the foot that is on the floor as long as there is no more dribble even if the ball hasn't rested while on the hand?

the question is more about when he established the pivot foot assuming he wasn't carrying while on his left foot.

another scenario would be a normal dribble, so the player has his left foot on the floor, ball is in contact with his right hand but not holding/palming just normal dribble motion and while stepping on his right foot he decides to hold the ball with both hands, in this case would the initial left foot be his pivot or right foot?

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 894152)

Raymond Wed May 15, 2013 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by potato (Post 894212)
The rule says dribble ends when ball is resting on hand, in the video it was his left foot as he carried the ball with his right hand+wrist.

How about if he didn't carry with his hand/wrist but ball was on his right hand like a normal spin dribble move while on his left foot, and holds the ball after he moved his right foot, would the right be the pivot or it is determined by the foot that is on the floor as long as there is no more dribble even if the ball hasn't rested while on the hand?

the question is more about when he established the pivot foot assuming he wasn't carrying while on his left foot.

another scenario would be a normal dribble, so the player has his left foot on the floor, ball is in contact with his right hand but not holding/palming just normal dribble motion and while stepping on his right foot he decides to hold the ball with both hands, in this case would the initial left foot be his pivot or right foot?

Again, too many abstract "what ifs" for me. Find his pivot and referee the play.

Adam Wed May 15, 2013 07:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by potato (Post 894212)

Here is your answers, always:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 894080)
I did not watch the video, and I don't know any "special" NBA rules, but at other levels the same travel rules apply -- determine when the dribble ends, find the pivot foot, see if it touches the ground again (in other than the legal jump stop).