Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:35am
Official & Member

Let me say this about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
I'm beginning to rethink wanting to ref AAU this summer, hmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
You should be ok if you feel it is a strong and well run AAU tourney or program, ... Guys in stripes take the heat for a lot of this when it is out of their control.
In my years of experience, the biggest horror shows occur during AAU tournaments. Even when there is strong organization AND security, there always seems to be incidents. I've come to the point where I've decided it's just not worth the money or additional game experience. You can say it will definitely test your game management skills, but I've even seen incidents that actually threaten officials physically.

Maybe it's an unfair generalization on my part, but AAU ball has come to equal garbage in my book. Not so much for the talent or level of skill/play, but all the nonsense that takes place outside the lines.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:37am.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
In my years of experience, the biggest horror shows occur during AAU tournaments. Even when there is strong organization AND security, there always seems to be incidents. I've come to the point where I've decided it's just not worth the money or additional game experience. You can say it will definitely test your game management skills, but I've even seen incidents that actually threaten officials physically.

Maybe it's an unfair generalization on my part, but AAU ball has come to equal garbage in my book. Not so much for the talent or level of skill/play, but all the nonsense that takes place outside the lines.
I think this really depends. We don't have AAU here, but we have a similar organization. Some refs won't work it, I will, but I also don't put up with much from coaches. I'll talk to them and remind them of the expectations. It's worked well for me. The ones who recognize me have been doing it long enough that it's not an issue, though.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:43am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I think this really depends. We don't have AAU here, but we have a similar organization. Some refs won't work it, I will, but I also don't put up with much from coaches. I'll talk to them and remind them of the expectations. It's worked well for me. The ones who recognize me have been doing it long enough that it's not an issue, though.
My experience generally involves national tournaments that include mostly out of town teams. Virutally NONE of the coaches are local and thus have zero relationships with the officials...and the behavior shows it.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I agree, and the same goes for fans. I had an incident with a team (whose players I had seen year and and year out for several years) and they had a new coach. He starts jawing and I ask him to watch his tone and keep the chatter to basketball. Well I guess he felt his manliness was being challenged so nevertheless he gets T #1. 5 seconds later I'm giving him T #2. As soon as I give the second T a mom from the stands who I recognize because her girls have played for many years yells out, "I warned you before the game this ref ain't gonna put up with your crap."

I was smiling ear to ear on the inside.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I agree, and the same goes for fans. I had an incident with a team (whose players I had seen year and and year out for several years) and they had a new coach. He starts jawing and I ask him to watch his tone and keep the chatter to basketball. Well I guess he felt his manliness was being challenged so nevertheless he gets T #1. 5 seconds later I'm giving him T #2. As soon as I give the second T a mom from the stands who I recognize because her girls have played for many years yells out, "I warned you before the game this ref ain't gonna put up with your crap."

I was smiling ear to ear on the inside.
Yep, and the coaches who recognize me from HS (and even MS) season ball are better behaved (for at least two reasons), with the standard exceptions that also apply to in-season ball. Some parents are starting to recognize me as well (the ones with older kids in HS ball and younger ones in youth ball).
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ha its programming speak. "!=" means not equal to. So what I am saying is that "x equals y" but "y doesn't equal x".

And sometimes equals would be "==" not just "=".
Thank you.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 04:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Please Excuse BillyMac, Signed, BillyMac's Mother ...

Quote:
"!=" means not equal to. So what I am saying is that "x equals y" but "y doesn't equal x". And sometimes equals would be "==" not just "=".
I didn't realize that we would be studying math on the Official Forum. Will this be on the exam?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 04:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is Anything In Texas Little ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
My not so little corner of Southeast Texas.
So? The good people that live in the southeastern corner of Texas actually call it Southeast Texas? It's not called Houstonland? Interesting. Very interesting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:43pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
No. Sometimes we need some fanfare. Too bad the NFHS doesn't give us the "heave ho" signal, like they have in baseball.

Billy:

Thanks for this video. It has been around for a couple of years now and it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 06:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Go Get 'Em Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
It never fails to bring a smile to my face.
Having a moderator say to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., "You Are Gone", after one of his lengthy posts, as he goes down memory lane, now, that would bring a smile to my face.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 06:34am.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 08:32am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So? The good people that live in the southeastern corner of Texas actually call it Southeast Texas? It's not called Houstonland? Interesting. Very interesting.
Well there's Houston, which covers a pretty large swath of area and then there's Southeast Texas which includes areas outside of Houston.