The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Why would you care if your partner(s) wear their wedding rings or not?

If You asked me that, I honestly think I would start laughing thinking that you were joking. And then I would show you that I can't take it off.
And I've had people laugh at me. Truthfully, it makes me little difference whether people wear their wedding rings or not.

To answer your question: Because I have one supervisor in particular who has mentioned it on more than one occassion at camp. Since he has a habit of slipping into games unannounced to observe, I figure it's smart to at least ask prior to taking the floor. That way, I'm covered if it ever comes up.
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 04:06pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
And I've had people laugh at me. Truthfully, it makes me little difference whether people wear their wedding rings or not.

To answer your question: Because I have one supervisor in particular who has mentioned it on more than one occassion at camp. Since he has a habit of slipping into games unannounced to observe, I figure it's smart to at least ask prior to taking the floor. That way, I'm covered if it ever comes up.
Ahhhhh! Very clever of you!
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 04:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Occupational Safety And Health Act ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm not playing defense and making contact with the players.
As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter to me if an official wears a wedding band, or not, however, my suggestion is that officials do not wear wedding bands for safety reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
After just about fileting my finger getting it caught on a valve at work, I don't even wear it anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Fell, and dislocated my ring finger. In order to x-ray and repair my finger, the hospital had to take a little saw and cut my ring off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Then jamming my finger playing basketball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Way back before I retired from teaching, and before I won my in independence with a divorce decree, I was passing the gymnasium on the way out of the school and noticed the boys team shooting around. I decided to show off and take a few shots with the guys, while I was wearing my wedding band. I was only half paying attention when one of my students passed me the ball and caught the pass with my fingers extended, which jammed the fingers. I woke up the next morning with a very swollen ring finger. I showed the injury to the school nurse as soon as I got to school. The wedding band was acting like tourniquet, cutting off circulation to the finger, and because of the swelling, we couldn't get the ring off. We were on our way to the metal shop to get the ring cut off, but decided to stop by the cafeteria kitchen first. Luckily, a little butter on my finger helped to get the ring off.
Quote:
When I was married, I used to take my wedding ring off when I officiated. As an official, I'm not playing, but there are many occasions where a player, or my partner, is tossing a ball to me, and I don't need any jammed fingers, or swollen fingers with the wedding band acting as a tourniquet.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 10:19am.
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 06:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter to me if an official wears a wedding band, or not, however, my suggestion is that officials do not wear wedding bands for safety reasons.
Only one of your scenarios even remotely applies to officiating, unless you're working hockey. When I'm doing anything that requires work gloves, I take off the ring.

It's a risk reward thing. More accurately, it's a risk/risk thing. The risk of me losing my ring far outweighs the risk of jamming my finger and getting my ring stuck.

I'm more likely to injure my ring finger tying my combat boots (actually got "baseball finger" once that way) than catching a basketball.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
About 15 yrs ago I slipped on some ice at my house, fell, and dislocated my ring finger. In order to x-ray and repair my finger, the hospital had to take a little saw and cut my ring off.

Now, I have a wedding band that is easily removable.........under the right circumstances.

Not that I've ever removed it! "Yes, dear....... Yes, dear..... Yes, dear....." She's behind me as I'm typing!
You've been well trained by your lovely young bride, as have I.

Last edited by Lcubed48; Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 02:47am.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 06:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe Not Probable, But Still Possible ...

Quote:
Only one of your scenarios even remotely applies to officiating.
Disagree. Only the "fileting my finger getting it caught on a valve at work" would not apply to officiating a basketball game (I used it because of the "at work" part). All the others could occur while officiating a basketball game ("fell, and dislocated my ring finger", and, "caught the pass with my fingers extended, which jammed the fingers").
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 10:24am.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 06:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Lies, Damned Lies, And Statistics (Mark Twain) ...

Quote:
It's a risk reward thing. More accurately, it's a risk/risk thing. The risk of me losing my ring far outweighs the risk of jamming my finger and getting my ring stuck.
Adam's day job is as an insurance actuary. He's got the lingo down pat.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 10:23am.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 06:58am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The only times this has come up for me is during men's games.

It has never come up as part of my officiating or what me and my P's do. A non-issue for me to date. Mine stays on.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 10:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Her Picture Next To The Word Naive In The Dictionary ???

Quote:
After just about fileting my finger getting it caught on a valve at work, I don't even wear it anymore.
And your wife buys this story?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 10:34am.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 11:04am
This IS My Social Life

View from Under the Thumb

Quote:
And your wife buys this story?
Yep. We have a strange and wonderful relationship. She says I'm strange and she's wonderful.
I don't argue.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Around here our assignor doesn't want us wearing any jewellery, wedding rings included.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 05:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Devil Made Me Do It ...

Quote:
View From Under The Thumb.

Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

No Ring or Forfeit

One of my fondest memories as a young official was working a Rec League game with a grizzled veteran just when the jewelry rule first came in.

Team only had 5 players and one could not get Wedding Ring off. After waiting the requisite 15 minutes he forfeited the game as one team could not start 5 players

He was my hero.