The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Exception for wedding bands? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94766-exception-wedding-bands.html)

HokiePaul Thu Apr 11, 2013 09:28am

Exception for wedding bands?

Did a game with a long time official in my association (although he mostly does JV games) who during the captains meeting reminded the players that no jewlery is allowed.

He did however, note an exception during the meeting, by saying something along the lines of: "however, a wedding band may be worn if a copy of your marriage certificate is at the scorer's table".

This doesn't really come up as an issue with HS players ... but I was curious because I could not find anything in the rules/case book on this.

Does anyone know where this might come from? And is it correct under NFHS rules?

bob jenkins Thu Apr 11, 2013 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 890460)
Did a game with a long time official in my association (although he mostly does JV games) who during the captains meeting reminded the players that no jewlery is allowed.

He did however, note an exception during the meeting, by saying something along the lines of: "however, a wedding band may be worn if a copy of your marriage certificate is at the scorer's table".

This doesn't really come up as an issue with HS players ... but I was curious because I could not find anything in the rules/case book on this.

Does anyone know where this might come from? And is it correct under NFHS rules?

check your humor setting.

Rob1968 Thu Apr 11, 2013 09:32am

Sounds like a poor attempt at humor . . .

APG Thu Apr 11, 2013 09:32am

Me thinks he was joking. ;)

HokiePaul Thu Apr 11, 2013 09:39am

Obviously it was said in lighthearted way (even if it were a rule, it would not be one to highlight in the captains meeting captains meeting unless you were looking for a laugh) ...

but I wasn't sure if it was completely made up of if there was some basis for it ... old rule from many years ago? ... another sport? college level (where there might occasionally be married players)?

Altor Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14am

Quote:

AFAIK, the jewelry rule is ubiquitous in every NFHS sport: "Thou shalt not wear jewelry." Exceptions are medical and religious emblems.

Since jewelry is not a "fundamental playing rule", states may make adoptions regarding jewelry. I believe Michigan allows for a wedding band, but I've never heard of them requiring a marriage certificate. I think your partner was trying to be funny.

fullor30 Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14am

Quote:

Mark?......Billy?

Raymond Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 890462)
Sounds like a poor attempt at humor . . .

It was pretty funny to me.

Raymond Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 890464)
Obviously it was said in lighthearted way (even if it were a rule, it would not be one to highlight in the captains meeting captains meeting unless you were looking for a laugh) ...

but I wasn't sure if it was completely made up of if there was some basis for it ... old rule from many years ago? ... another sport? college level (where there might occasionally be married players)?

Sounds like a rec league. In fact, it has to be a rec league. Rec leagues often have married men playing. Rec leagues often have their own set of by-laws (can wear rings/no pockets/etc).

bainsey Thu Apr 11, 2013 01:02pm

I find it humorous, but that joke would be totally lost on kids. Know your audience, Stripes.

HokiePaul Thu Apr 11, 2013 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 890481)
Sounds like a rec league. In fact, it has to be a rec league. Rec leagues often have married men playing. Rec leagues often have their own set of by-laws (can wear rings/no pockets/etc).

This was a JV game, but it may be part of his captain meeting for all types of games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 890483)
I find it humorous, but that joke would be totally lost on kids. Know your audience, Stripes.

Apparently it was lost on me too ... thanks for the responses though

Mark Padgett Thu Apr 11, 2013 02:05pm

I allow players to participate while wearing nose rings if they have a certified authorization letter from their otolaryngologist.

BillyMac Thu Apr 11, 2013 02:21pm

Black Belts Aren't Considered Jewelry, Right ???

Quote:

Wedding band.

Wedding bands are considered to be the only item of jewelry that officials should be allowed to wear during a game. Maybe that caused some confusion in your partners interpretation.

BillyMac Thu Apr 11, 2013 02:25pm

Land Of Steady Habits ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 890468)
Billy?

Not me. Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we don't allow players to wear wedding bands. However, we do allow players to wear pocket watches. It because Timex has it's headquarters in Middlebury, Connecticut.

Freddy Thu Apr 11, 2013 02:52pm

Yeah, but....

What if the wedding ring was taped over? Would you ask to inspect underneath the tape? :D

Sorry.....