Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 02:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Wow.

Honestly, I kind of suspect that if you were on the court, and saw Andy or I or others who seem to agree, you'd sigh to yourselves, saying, "Great, I get to work with "that guy" again," and grit your teeth, and decide to just deal with it.

And Andy or I, seeing you or Hopguy, or some of the others, would say the same thing to ourselves.

And then when it the ball is finally in the air - we'd get along just fine and have a good game.
I would not go crazy at all about it either way. Such a minor thing, but a kid is not playing in one of my games with an earring in his ear when I see it.

It is like the shooting sleeve issue. There are people that go out of their way to make sure a kid is using it for medical purposes, even though in our state it is already assumed they are wearing them for that reason and we are not required to ask. But there are officials that ask anyway and then make them take it off when they do not get the right answer. I just find it funny, but that is on those officials. And it is not a liability to use those things, they just have to match some standard that was set by someone else. But as you said when the ball goes up it is not at the forefront of my mind and never will be until they change something.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
And if you were up here in my Association, and you allowed the kid to play with tape over their ears, I would move on to my next Varsity game while you went on to your next MS game.
And Vice Versa if we're going there - which we shouldn't have.

Quote:
I wouldn't allow a kid to play in my game with tape over the ears.
Unless A) a new rule is written that disallows tape/bandaids on the ears or B) my assignors reverse their opinions and tell us all to assume tape = earring until proven otherwise, I'm not going to invent a rule to keep them from wearing a bandaid wherever they happen to need one.

Perhaps this is one of those things that change in their manner of enforcement across the country. But I surely don't think your implication that I MUST work only low level games because the standards in my area differ from yours is an appropriate one... in fact I think it was uncalled for.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 02:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
"They" are those of you who would choose to simply ignore the tape over the ears. And claiming ignorance because you asked doesn't really let you off the hook. You know with 99.9% certainty that tape or bandaids over the ears means there are earrings underneath. Choosing to let it go makes you "they".
That's a bit over the top, but if that's what you think, I can live with that.

The fact is, I don't care either way.

Options:
1. Make him show you under the bandaids, then if he's telling the truth, at worst, he needs to replace the bandaid. Any wound too bad for a quick dressing on the sideline probably needs stitches anyway and he shouldn't be playing.

2. Talk to his coach after you talk to the kid. "Coach, #15 tells me the tape on his ears is for a bad scratch he got in a fight with his girlfriend. Is that true?"

3. Take the kid's word for it.

In the one game out of 2000 where the kid tells you the bandaids are for something besides earrings, I'll likely go with #2. If you think that makes me "they" in this context, .

Oh, and what MD Longhorn said, too.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That's a bit over the top, but if that's what you think, I can live with that.

The fact is, I don't care either way.
LOL YOU asked, did you not?
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 02:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

If someone has an earring, usually you can see the earring no matter what bandage is on their ear. Never seen an earring where the back of the earring was not easily seen standing next to that person.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 02:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
LOL YOU asked, did you not?
Sure did, and I thought it was where he was heading. Have to admit I didn't expect you to agree with him.

Besides, in the context of the kid, it's pretty obvious that "they" were not officials telling him to hide it under a band-aid.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Sure did, and I thought it was where he was heading. Have to admit I didn't expect you to agree with him.

Besides, in the context of the kid, it's pretty obvious that "they" were not officials telling him to hide it under a band-aid.
To your credit, your scenario was slightly different than what I'm arguing about - your kid had earrings on display and wanted to put tape over them and "they" said it was ok. That's probably a different "they". I just think we become part of the problem when we look the other way. For what it's worth, I don't feel the same about the arm sleeves and I've stopped caring about headband color as well. But jewelry seems to make sense as a safety issue and I just won't allow it.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 03:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
To your credit, your scenario was slightly different than what I'm arguing about - your kid had earrings on display and wanted to put tape over them and "they" said it was ok. That's probably a different "they". I just think we become part of the problem when we look the other way. For what it's worth, I don't feel the same about the arm sleeves and I've stopped caring about headband color as well. But jewelry seems to make sense as a safety issue and I just won't allow it.
Neither will I, I think we only disagree on how far we'll take the effort to spot the jewelry. Not significantly, I don't think.

As Rut noted, the odds of actual jewelry staying hidden are pretty slim (this particular kid had the backs of the ears covered as well, so a simple "nothing" wouldn't have worked well), and I know what the back of an earring looks like.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 03:36pm
NFHS Official

If I see a band aid on anyones ear, I am assuming it is covering an ear ring and asking them about it. Jewelry isn't allowed. Common sense should tell you that it is covering an ear ring. If it isn't they just put a new band aid on. The time and trouble it takes to look and fix is worth not having to deal with a kid getting their ear ripped open because we allowed them to play with jewelry.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 04:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Finger Licking Good ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
I was told a story the other day from someone who was actually present when an injury happened because of jewelry, and it was quite gruesome, not something I would ever care to experience or even witness.
Once, when I was a lot younger, I was playing basketball on an outdoor playground court while I was wearing my wedding band. I went up for a rebound and got the ring caught in the metal chain net, and hung there for a fraction of a second, long enough for the ring to cut into my finger almost down to the bone. I still have the scar today.

Did I learn my lesson? Apparently not.

Way back before I retired from teaching, and before I won my in independence with a divorce decree, I was passing the gymnasium on the way out of the school and noticed the boys team shooting around. I decided to show off and take a few shots with the guys, while I was wearing my wedding band. I was only half paying attention when one of my students passed me the ball and caught the pass with my fingers extended, which jammed the fingers. I woke up the next morning with a very swollen ring finger. I showed the injury to the school nurse as soon as I got to school. The wedding band was acting like tourniquet, cutting off circulation to the finger, and because of the swelling, we couldn't get the ring off. We were on our way to the metal shop to get the ring cut off, but decided to stop by the cafeteria kitchen first. Luckily, a little butter on my finger helped to get the ring off.

What's that expression? "Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me three times, shame on me".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 05:28pm.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 04:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The N Word ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Liability.
There's liability, and there's negligence. If I don't notice the bandaid, I'm probably negligent. If I notice the bandaid and don't address it, I'm negligent. If I notice the bandaid, ask the player about it, am lied to, and have the coach confirm that his players are legally equipped, I don't believe that I'm negligent, but I'm probably still going to have to deal with the bother of lawyers, courts, IAABO insurance, NFHS insurance, etc.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on television.

Bottom line, I'm addressing the issue, but I'm not asking a player to remove a bandaid. But, as usual, when in Rome, check your local listings.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 04:34pm.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 04:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We Have Rules Against Tape ???

Quote:
I wouldn't allow a kid to play in my game with tape over the ears.
Even if there wasn't an earing under the tape?

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 04:34pm.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
There's liability, and there's negligence. If I don't notice the bandaid, I'm probably negligent. If I notice the bandaid and don't address it, I'm negligent. If I notice the bandaid, ask the player about it, am lied to, and have the coach confirm that his players are legally equipped, I don't believe that I'm negligent, but I'm probably still going to have to deal with the bother of lawyers, courts, IAABO insurance, NFHS insurance, etc.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on television.

Bottom line, I'm addressing the issue, but I'm not asking a player to remove a bandaid. But, as usual, when in Rome, check your local listings.
You do not ask them to remove them in the first place, you just tell them they cannot play with them if on their body.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 04:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Readng Is Fundamental ...

Quote:
I'm addressing the issue, but I'm not asking a player to remove a bandaid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You do not ask them to remove them in the first place, you just tell them they cannot play with them if on their body.
Bandaids?

Note: I think that I agree with you, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'm agreeing to.

Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 05:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes reading is fundamental.

Quote:
Bandaids?

Note: I think that I agree with you, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'm agreeing to.
You made the comment that you do not ask them to take off jewelry. That should go without saying.

Peace