The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Louisville-Baylor unsporting situations

This is two plays: the +1 by Schimmel where she goes at it with Griner and the double technical. I left in - no sound - Mulkey speaking with the official after the Griner play. You can see the official says she gave Schimmel a warning.

As I watched the game again my thought was this is where the tenor changed. Up until then it was Louisville hitting 3s - and some crazy ones, at that - and Baylor not being aggressive. There really wasn't a whole lot of stuff missed on either end by the crew. When Schimmel got into Griner and didn't get a T, it got personal and it was tough to reign things back in.

Again, just the opinion of a tired video guy.

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:31am

I'm not an experienced official and maybe I'm completely wrong but I would have given the Louisville player a T for taunting just because they had a decent lead. If Louisville was down by 16, then I would think that the player was taunting just to fire the team up and would have let it go with a warning.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

That taunting gets a T regardless of the score.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:45am
NFHS Official

I can see where they let the first one go and give a warning. I am not saying it is right, or I would do that, but I can see it. Simms' play is actually more taunting than the first play, the L-Ville girl didn't taunt much if at all. Actually Baylor kind of got lucky that the double T was called, but I can unserstand it. It seems they were at least trying to get some kind of control.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I can see where they let the first one go and give a warning. I am not saying it is right, or I would do that, but I can see it. Simms' play is actually more taunting than the first play, the L-Ville girl didn't taunt much if at all. Actually Baylor kind of got lucky that the double T was called, but I can unserstand it. It seems they were at least trying to get some kind of control.
I disagree with the bolded.

The endline camera view of the first play shows the UL player getting up in Griner's face and yelling something at her. It is the definition of taunting.

The second play it looks like the Baylor player took exception to what she thought was a bump/elbow by the UL player taking the ball out for the inbound. Both taunting but I don't see how this was more of a taunt than the first play.

And I could be wrong but from reading your post in the various threads related to this game I'm picking up a very strong anti-Baylor bias.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:23pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I disagree with the bolded.

The endline camera view of the first play shows the UL player getting up in Griner's face and yelling something at her. It is the definition of taunting.

The second play it looks like the Baylor player took exception to what she thought was a bump/elbow by the UL player taking the ball out for the inbound. Both taunting but I don't see how this was more of a taunt than the first play.

And I could be wrong but from reading your post in the various threads related to this game I'm picking up a very strong anti-Baylor bias.
Simms does the exact same thing and even crosses the endline to go get the girl. Semantics really, as I believe both should have been called. However with the double T it doesn't look like the L-ville player does much.

I have no anti Baylor bias, I in fact grew up and lived for half my life only 45 minutes from Waco. I just think that Mulkey complaining about the game being to physical is the pot calling the kettle black, when she had the most dominating physcial player ever in the womens game. That's all.

Last edited by OKREF; Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 12:28pm.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Simms does the exact same thing and even crosses the enline to go get the girl. Semantics really, as I believe both should have been called. However with the double T it doesn't look like the L-ville player does much.

I have no anti Baylor bias, I in fact grew up and lived for half my life only 45 minutes from Waco. I just think that Mulkey complaining about the game being to physical is the pot calling the kettle black, when she had the most dominating physcial player ever in the womens game. That's all.
UL player tells Baylor player "scoreboard" by looking at the board and then saying it to her.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Simms does the exact same thing
It's not the exact same thing. The UL player yells something in Griner's face. Simms did not say a word. And if you think it's the exact same thing then how is what the Baylor player did more of a taunt?

Quote:
I just think that Mulkey complaining about the game being to physical is the pot calling the kettle black, when she had the most dominating physcial player ever in the womens game. That's all.
I disagree with this assessment for a few reasons but that doesnt really matter. But I do find it interesting that as an official you seem to let this perception affect how you see some of the plays/situations involving her team. All IMO of course.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:30pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
UL player tells Baylor player "scoreboard" by looking at the board and then saying it to her.
Your're right. This game was physical, and like I said earlier. I had no problem with the double T.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:35pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
It's not the exact same thing. The UL player yells something in Griner's face. Simms did not say a word. And if you think it's the exact same thing then how is what the Baylor player did more of a taunt?

I disagree with this assessment for a few reasons but that doesnt really matter. But I do find it interesting that as an official you seem to let this perception affect how you see some of the plays/situations involving her team. All IMO of course.
The UL player should have been stuck, I already said I have no problem with the Double T. All I am saying is that in this particular game the officials decided to let the physical play happen, and Mulkey should be the last person to complain about that.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

On the And-1 the Lead started leaving the scene of the crime and then had to double back. She should have stayed with the play and got Schimmel right away with a T.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Calling a T in the first play would have most likely prevented the second situation. By not T'ing the UL player ( who if you read lips dropped the F bomb) you give the impression that its ok to square up on a player, which is exactly what Sims did.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Schimmel is the type of player I'm pregaming with my partner and keeping my eyes on from opening tip.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Calling a T in the first play would have most likely prevented the second situation. By not T'ing the UL player ( who if you read lips dropped the F bomb) you give the impression that its ok to square up on a player, which is exactly what Sims did.
Agreed. Now Baylor gets to wonder why they don't get a warning, too.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 02:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Agreed. Now Baylor gets to wonder why they don't get a warning, too.
And if they had T'd one of the best players, then they probably do not have to give a T later to the HC. Now they know you mean business and things do not escalate. I am actually surprised by the restraint Griner showed in that game.

Peace