The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Why is this travel?

Michael Jordan travels 5 steps - YouTube

i've been told you can take as many steps as you want while dribbling. here he merely too 5 steps while ball is still in his hand and he wasn't palming or holding the ball.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 09:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Apparently the official that called this was not aware of the NBE rule that said you cannot use the words "Jordan" and "travel" in the same sentence.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 09:51pm
We don't rent pigs

The ball clearly came to rest in his hand, which ends the dribble.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

how do you determine the ball came to a rest? it looks like a normal dribble just that Mike did quick steps under the normal dribble time frame that he achieved 5 steps.

alright let's just assume jordan is palming, so if he weren't palming and took the 5 steps, can he follow up with a layup before the ball bounces on the floor, like take off after the 5th step? I though step through only allows an extra step after lifting the pivot foot.

Last edited by potato; Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 10:10pm.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:13pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
how do you determine the ball came to a rest? it looks like a normal dribble just that Mike did quick steps under the normal dribble time frame that he achieved 5 steps.

What is a normal dribble time frame? Come to rest is the wording of the rule telling when a dribble ends. The ball was in contact with the hand too long.
There is no specific amount of time, but the violation is obvious in the video.
If the call went against Jordan, you can believe it was real.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

so if he weren't palming and it was a legal dribble and after he took the 5 steps, can he follow up with a layup/dunk before the next dribble, like take off after the 5th step?
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:31pm
We don't rent pigs

If it was a legal dribble, he could take as many steps as he wanted.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

and still go for a dunk/layup without another dribble? so say Jordan took 5 steps on his last dribble decide to go for the dunk when does his dribble end?
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:46pm
We don't rent pigs

The dribble ends when the ball is touched with both hands simultaneously or comes to rest in one or both hands. At this point, refer to the pivot foot restrictions.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

It's hard to imagine someone is able to take 7 steps with the ball on his hand before doing a layup or dunk.

In this case if Jordan was quicker with his feet and wasn't palming, he would do 5 steps in a dribble motion, decides to pick up the ball immediately and does a step through which means he took 7 steps with the ball on his hand (5 while dribbling 2 while holding).

Is there a video that shows similar moves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The dribble ends when the ball is touched with both hands simultaneously or comes to rest in one or both hands. At this point, refer to the pivot foot restrictions.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 11:05pm
We don't rent pigs

Done with this thread.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

All of a sudden have a craving for...

Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 01:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
It's hard to imagine someone is able to take 7 steps with the ball on his hand before doing a layup or dunk.

In this case if Jordan was quicker with his feet and wasn't palming, he would do 5 steps in a dribble motion, decides to pick up the ball immediately and does a step through which means he took 7 steps with the ball on his hand (5 while dribbling 2 while holding).

Is there a video that shows similar moves?
Hard to imagine such a play not taking so long that I didn't consider the dribble to be ended. It's not about the steps, though. It's about the duration of time his hand is in contact with the ball.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

then someone will point out there's no rules saying how long a dribble should last.

also i believe many quick baby steps are achievable even in a short time frame.

and let's not talk about 5-10 steps.

imagine this: a dribbler goes one on one, hands in dribbling motion after 1 bounce, does a quick baby left/right/left moves to confuse the defender, he sees an opening on the right side decides to attack the basket immediately by taking a 2 step step-through without bouncing the ball, based on the rule that there is no limit on how many steps per dribble bounce, and that pivot foot is established the moment you pick up the dribble and you get an extra step on the non-pivot foot for stepping-through, you can do a continuation of 5 steps to attack the basket without re-bouncing the ball. It would be more should the hand still position in dribbling motion when he decide to take the 4th or 5th step forward so if the guy moves really quick it'd be 5-6 steps before he's considered finishing his dribble and another 2 step step through. Sounds awfully wrong and i've never seen anyone doing it but if we based on hand written rule it's achievable for someone really quick. Unless there's another rule to restrict such action.

If we take the Jordan clip, let's assume during that 5 steps, he did 3 steps while really dribbling, then palm it while taking the 4th & 5th steps & lifts off for a shot, would it be allowed?
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

He's either dribbling or he's holding the ball. Judging that is why we get paid the big bucks.

In practice it's not as hard as you seem to be describing it.

You also seem to want to define everything in overly measurable amounts. That's not the rule and not going to happen.