The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

A1 picks up his dribble around the free throw line, pivots, then lifts pivot foot and jumps off of non-pivot foot and shoots. No jump-stop or hop-step involved.

Travel or not?
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 01:02pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
A1 picks up his dribble around the free throw line, pivots, then lifts pivot foot and jumps off of non-pivot foot and shoots. No jump-stop or hop-step involved.

Travel or not?
Not a travel unless the pivot is returned to the floor or unless the shooter hops with the non-pivot foot.

This foot movement is much like a lay-up, isn't it? ...Just further away from the basket.
mick
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm

Travel or not?
You can lift your pivot foot prior to shooting or passing, you just can't put it back down to the floor once it's lifted. Sounds ugly, but legal.

Z
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The trick in these kinds of plays, at least in girls' ball, is to watch the pivot foot for drag. A lot of girls have been taught to be sure their pivot foot stays on the floor, so when they move off their other foot into the shooting motion, the pivot foot is forced to stay down, and it drags. If the girl would let the pivot foot naturally follow the other foot, it wouldn't drag and there would be no travel.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I am aware of the pivot foot needing to return to the floor for a travel to have occured. However the other foot was the real question.
Rainmaker, (a.k.a. Juulie), thanks for the tip about watching for the drag of the pivot foot. I have seen other officials call that, I think, but I wasn't close enough to see their justification. Thanks to Mick too for the tip about the non-pivot foot hop. And Z you are correct, it is ugly sometimes. More so with younger kids.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to shawn29
NFHS rulebook says you may shoot, pass, or call timeout after pivot has been lifted.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

must be weird

The people in my ofice must think I am crazy when I stand up from my desk and start acting out these little senarios, hopping around on one foot pivoting around my desk and then shoting an air ball to an imaginary basket.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to shawn29
Talking Redhouse

Just be glad your not reading a wrestling officials message board. Your co workers would really wonder about you acting out scenarios on all fours
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: must be weird

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
The people in my ofice must think I am crazy when I stand up from my desk and start acting out these little senarios, hopping around on one foot pivoting around my desk and then shoting an air ball to an imaginary basket.
How do you think my wife and kids feel about me when I'm running around the house blowing a whistle waving off a basket while watching a game on tv calling a PC foul?
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

whew

wow, you are so right. On the other hand I may get some time off from work. They may think they are working me too hard.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Redhouse

Quote:
Originally posted by shawn29
Just be glad your not reading a wrestling officials message board. Your co workers would really wonder about you acting out scenarios on all fours
Yeh, if I was your boss, I would give you some time off, WITH PAY!